Disturbing video: Pope Francis refuses to let faithful kiss his papal ring

Started by martin88nyc, March 26, 2019, 10:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Quote from: Philip G. on March 26, 2019, 11:07:37 PM
Quote from: Philip G. on March 26, 2019, 08:38:10 PM
If Francis really doesn't want people kissing his ring, the thing to do is to have one of your people inform guests at the beginning of the line not to do so.  It isn't rocket science.  This seems to me to be a PR stunt.  Just look at how many of the people who reached for his ring were smiling and appeared to be in on the joke.

Also, does anyone find it strange that every single guest in the line reached for his ring to kiss it?  By now aren't all the people who go to visit the pope either so lukewarm and/or clueless to tradition that they wouldn't even know to kiss the ring?  I wouldn't be surprised if when looking at meet/greet videos from a few years ago on youtube that we see very few kissing Francis ring.  I really think this is a PR stunt.  The bishops don't even kiss Francis ring when they see him.  Heads of state don't kiss Francis ring.  The percentage of people who kiss rings is way down.  How is it that every single person in that video clip reached for the ring to kiss it?

Nah. Half of them just bowed and didn't even make it all the way down to kiss his hand. It's more like they were just following protocol and/or following the person in front of them.

People can develop and act on weird ideas when they get old. He's 82 years old; I wouldn't be surprised if he has a couple screws loose.

Whatever it is, he's a disgrace.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

martin88nyc

If Francis really doesn't want people kissing his ring, the thing to do is to have one of your people inform guests at the beginning of the line not to do so.  It isn't rocket science.  This seems to me to be a PR stunt.  Just look at how many of the people who reached for his ring were smiling and appeared to be in on the joke.

Also, does anyone find it strange that every single guest in the line reached for his ring to kiss it?  By now aren't all the people who go to visit the pope either so lukewarm and/or clueless to tradition that they wouldn't even know to kiss the ring?  I wouldn't be surprised if when looking at meet/greet videos from a few years ago on youtube that we see very few kissing Francis ring.  I really think this is a PR stunt.  The bishops don't even kiss Francis ring when they see him.  Heads of state don't kiss Francis ring.  The percentage of people who kiss rings is way down.  How is it that every single person in that video clip reached for the ring to kiss it?
I watched the whole video from the Vatican News YouTube channel. monks and priests kissed his ring with no problem. He started to pull his hand away only when the faithful came up. Twp days later he allowed nuns to kiss his ring:
https://www.apnews.com/e93a2c7606c94013bcb5209fadd74ebd
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Acolyte

Vatican II rolling right along. An about-face on everything Roman Catholic.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Kreuzritter

Dunno which is sadder: people being refused by the man they believe their pope or people wanting to kiss the ring of that man. Or the fact that we're driven to talk like this about him.

Philip G.

Quote from: Clare on March 27, 2019, 05:23:25 AM
Maybe he was worried that they would wear the ring down, until there was barely anything left.

Being that Francis favors junk metal, it could be the case.  I am reminded of my old lead dipped bronze crucifix.  It did not take long for the bronze to wear of and the lead to show.  I have since upgraded to a solid bronze crucifix.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

clau clau

The Pope is worried about hygiene.  Yes, of course he is.  :-(

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

bigbadtrad

"God has proved his love to us by laying down his life for our sakes; we too must be ready to lay down our lives for the sake of our brethren." 1 John 3:16

Prayerful

Quote from: martin88nyc on March 27, 2019, 09:18:57 AM

I watched the whole video from the Vatican News YouTube channel. monks and priests kissed his ring with no problem. He started to pull his hand away only when the faithful came up. Twp days later he allowed nuns to kiss his ring:
https://www.apnews.com/e93a2c7606c94013bcb5209fadd74ebd

It does suggest Francis is 'clericalist' to some unreasoning degree, somewhat different from Pope 'smell of the sheep' Francis, that lay Catholics are a sort of 'untermenschen,' but that has been clear for a while.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.