Removing Windows Adware Speeds up Internet?

Started by Akavit, January 24, 2016, 12:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akavit

Not sure if this is just a false perception or not.  My browser load times seem to have sped up dramatically since discovering and disabling the GWX adware Microsoft inserted into my computer.  It's the little program they sneaked into Windows 7 PC's as a "recommended update" so they could push their "free" Windows 10 ads in your face.

Now I'll have to manually check and install updates because Windows started using the updater as a platform to sell their products.  I've been very happy with 7 but this may be the last Windows PC I build.  I'm guessing most of the software I use will be compatible with Linux within the next couple years.  Not thrilled at the prospect of getting ad feeds while I'm working at the computer and not even on a browser.

Bernadette

I'd like to disable whatever it is in Windows 10 that keeps popping up and telling me to "Get Office!" And the little thing in my Start Menu that suggests apps all the time. Nothing critical, but irritating nonetheless.
My Lord and my God.

Habitual_Ritual

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)