Mary is not the Co-Redeemer

Started by Vetus Ordo, October 04, 2020, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazianzen

Daniel

Well I would say she's the Co-Redemptrix, not the Co-Redeemer. (Kind of splitting hairs, but I hate watching the English language further degenerate into "doublespeak".)

Though I still think the term "Co-Redemptrix" is too vague even for this thread. I have no problem accepting that Mary is Co-Redemptrix in the sense that she is the new Eve and the means by which Jesus came into the world to redeem us, but some are suggesting that Mary, through her suffering at the foot of the Cross, in some way "redeemed" us. As if to say that her suffering was essential or necessary for, or in some way added to, our redemption. But this isn't what the Church teaches as far as I know, and I don't think it's even true. Sounds pretty blasphemous, in that it attributes our redemption (at least partly) to somebody other than Jesus.

Michael Wilson

Daniel,
I have posted the official Church teaching on this subject; nobody here is suggesting what you have stated above.
As for the difference in language between the Greeks and Latins: The Church allows both (G & L) to keep their own terminology as long as they mean the same thing;  the example of the language used in theology for the trinity is a prime example. So this should pose no problem or be a basis for objecting to the proclamation of the dogma.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers