The Midwest Boom

Started by drummerboy, September 02, 2023, 09:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

The Midwest is poised to make a comeback.  I personally have mixed reactions.  More people moving here will probably bring more liberal idiocy and ruin what's left of traditional society here.  I'm already seeing too many CA and TX plates.  OTOH a revival would be nice, I feel we're the armpit of the country sometimes!  Extended rail service wouldn't be bad, I hate even the idea of flying.

But the video is correct about our manufacturing.  Most folks don't realize what a major industry metal fabrication is here in WI, welders are "dime a dozen." Don't forget our ports with access to the ocean via the Lakes and Mississippi river.  This applies to MI's Upper Peninsula as well, though yo a lesser extent.  Don't forget our good German work ethic.... ;)

And our natural resources are splendid, the Germans knew good land when they came here.  And there's still plenty of mineral resources to be tapped.  Iron in the UP.  There was even a gold mine (of all things!) proposed by my hometown, but of course it was voted down because people thought it'd poison our water >:( The only issue is cost of getting the stuff out of the ground.  But the piers and railhead still exist for loading of ships. I've traveled extensively through WI and the UP:  most of the infrastructure is here, all we need is a shot of capital investment to get things up to date, the interest, and if people move here that'll supply the labor, and we're off.

Thoughts?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Heinrich

I am thinking I would like to visit the UP in the fall.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

drummerboy

Quote from: Heinrich on September 02, 2023, 11:24:48 AMI am thinking I would like to visit the UP in the fall.

Do it!  It's beautiful up there.  But remember their leaves will be turning soon.  I have a few spots you might want to check out, PM me if interested.

Heinrich

Quote from: drummerboy on September 02, 2023, 11:41:28 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on September 02, 2023, 11:24:48 AMI am thinking I would like to visit the UP in the fall.

Do it!  It's beautiful up there.  But remember their leaves will be turning soon.  I have a few spots you might want to check out, PM me if interested.

Next year. We are finishing house, planning to sell. Once numbers are where they need to be, it's (classC) camper time.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

andy

I kind of miss my time in Chicago.

Heinrich

Quote from: andy on September 03, 2023, 04:29:25 PMI kind of miss my time in Chicago.

Chicago appears to maintain its allure for the talented folk of the world.

james03

Copium.  Looks like something paid for by a regional business foundation.

There is a bright spot in Ohio due to their shift right.  Chicago is toast, along with the entire State of Illinois.  The next recession, coming soon, is going to do major damage to their pensions.  They've already gone all-in with the green hoax, so that speeds up the process of white flight, along with the tax gouging.

Michigan appears controlled by the dem machine out of Detroit.  So the governorship is captured forever.

Wisconsin just lost the State Supreme Court to bolsheviks, so those elections are also in the bag.

Minnesota has been turned into Somolia, nothing else needs to be said.

The crime rate in cities with a small majority (at best) of American voters (remember, the women voters) means that those cities are third world $h!th0le$, forever.  San Fag is already caught in that whirlpool.  Chicago entered it long ago.  America doesn't have magic dirt.

The video mentions a lot of money poured into start-ups.  The graphic ended in 2021.  That was COVID money, and it was all looted.  If the Free Market wasn't already funding it, you should stop to ask why.  Anyhow, with a US debt hitting $50 TRILLION by 2030, the government money is drying out already.

My opinon?  If you live there, flee.  If you want to stay in the region, move to Ohio.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

drummerboy

We can only "flee" so much.  If the country's going broke then fleeing to this state or that won't matter much anyway.  There is something to be said for standing up where you are, or even just staying there and praying.  I'm quite serious when I say we need prayer warriors in these corrupt states to beg God's grace and mercy, provided one can still fulfill their requirements in justice to provide for their families, etc. 

Heinrich

I know someone who moved from CO to a cherry red state. Hated it. Moved back to CO. I guess he's dealing with the likelihood of a nuke dropping due to its abortion laws and gay jew governor.

dellery

Quote from: Heinrich on September 06, 2023, 06:03:43 PMI know someone who moved from CO to a cherry red state. Hated it. Moved back to CO. I guess he's dealing with the likelihood of a nuke dropping due to its abortion laws and gay jew governor.

Sounds kinda like Illinois except for the Chicago part.

I'd leave here because the laws are terrible, but the weather and area are beautiful, it's a literal Garden of Eden, and the thought of one day going toe-too-toe against the outright Commies in control of the State are too irresistible.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

drummerboy

Quote from: Heinrich on September 06, 2023, 06:03:43 PMI know someone who moved from CO to a cherry red state. Hated it. Moved back to CO. I guess he's dealing with the likelihood of a nuke dropping due to its abortion laws and gay jew governor.

To quote a John Wayne movie: God gives us a time and a place: a time to live and a place to die.

james03

This has forked into an interesting topic.  I'll start a separate thread on it.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Heinrich

Quote from: dellery on September 06, 2023, 06:36:11 PM

Sounds kinda like Illinois except for the Chicago part.

I'd leave here because the laws are terrible, but the weather and area are beautiful, it's a literal Garden of Eden, and the thought of one day going toe-too-toe against the outright Commies in control of the State are too irresistible.

You would either tuck tail and run or get deleted.

LausTibiChriste

CO is probably the only state I'd seriously consider moving to, even though I have never been there. Seems like Alberta, but with more guns, more sports teams, and Fr Ripperger.

I think people often overlook what day-to-day reality is like when they envision moving to some state/country they think is far superior morally.

If you move to a country that has banned abortion but has no running water, a meager food supply, no TLMs and constant crime, what's the point?

I'd sooner move to France. Sure it's importing immigrants at an insane rate, the government is a train wreck and the people are morally dead...but where else are you going to find that many TLMs, TLM-Offering Monasteries, SSPX schools, etc? That's the smart choice, imo.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

james03

Colorado has passed critical mass on being Californicated.  If you want the Alberta feel, Wyoming appears to be a good choice, though I've never been there.  Right across the border on the SE side is a place to investigate.

Montana and Idaho are currently still nice, however the California locusts are swarming over there.