Live-in nannies?

Started by Geremia, February 02, 2022, 06:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Addressing the married, St. Ignatius asks in his Spiritual Exercises: "What instructions and examples ought you to give for the edification of your children and servants?" Servants? That seems archaic, but is it?

I suppose today we'd say "live-in nannies". They seem rare; among the large families at my parish, I know of only one that had an in-home nanny for a few years. Nannies seem to be a much better (and probably less expensive) option for Catholics than out-of-home daycare, even for helping a stay-at-home mother with homeschooling ("homeschooling nannies").

Some Canadian houses have a "nanny suite," a self-contained apartment within a house. In the past, girls would get their domestic education by spending time abroad "au pair," in "an arrangement whereby a person carries out domestic work (usually housework or childcare) in a particular household in exchange for board and lodging and (in later use) some pocket money."

Lynne

My daughter is a nanny, not a live-in one though. Three children, school age now. She's been working for this family for almost 5 years.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

GaudeMariaVirgo

I don't currently know any SAHMs with a live-in nanny or au pair, but many moms I know (including myself) have hired part-time nannies, "mother's helpers" or postpartum doulas to help with household tasks & childcare when there are multiple children &/or a new baby involved. It's pretty common and (IMO) a great alternative to out-of-home daycare! When we were in our 20s, a lot of my friends nannied or offered housekeeping/childcare help to moms, and loved it -- it's a great job for young women who are in school or otherwise preparing for marriage themselves. 

Bernadette

My sister was a nanny for about a year. Not live in though. Now she's a mommy. :)
My Lord and my God.

Jayne

My daughter also worked for a couple of years as a live-out nanny.  The pay is not good, but it is good preparation for motherhood.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

coffeeandcigarette

There is a lot of tunnel vision in past religious works directed at upper class Catholics. I guess the assumption is that if you could afford the book, you had servants. I guess it makes sense. It gets a little tiresome living these days, when almost no one can afford even an American live-in nanny. I was an aupair in Europe when I was young. I got paid 50 euro a week. The language, culture, travel, experience, etc were supposed to be most of the pay. Girls in America want about 500 a week to be a live-in mother's helper. I know almost no one who could afford that.

Geremia

Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on February 03, 2022, 11:30:33 PMGirls in America want about 500 a week to be a live-in mother's helper.
Why that much, when all their living expenses are paid for?
You would think live-in nannies would be cheaper than out-of-home daycare.

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: Geremia on February 04, 2022, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on February 03, 2022, 11:30:33 PMGirls in America want about 500 a week to be a live-in mother's helper.
Why that much, when all their living expenses are paid for?
You would think live-in nannies would be cheaper than out-of-home daycare.

Beats me. American girls are very spoiled, and they are barely worth hiring as it is. Half of them are far more trouble to have around, and not at all worth the small amount of mediocre childcare they may provide. Some European girls are better, but to be honest, most girls these days are spoiled and most barely know how to care for children, cook, or clean. Many of them get into babysitting hoping to sit around on their phone for a few hours while the kiddies watch TV, and get paid through the nose.

The Curt Jester

Other people have a difficult time finding a good baby-sitter, too.

The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: The Curt Jester on February 04, 2022, 08:56:45 PM
Other people have a difficult time finding a good baby-sitter, too.

I don't have trouble finding one at all. I could get 20 tomorrow if I wanted, they just charge too much.

Geremia

Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on February 05, 2022, 09:57:12 PMI don't have trouble finding one at all. I could get 20 tomorrow if I wanted, they just charge too much.
Your trad parish only has mammon-worshiping candidates?

queen.saints

Quote from: Geremia on February 06, 2022, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: coffeeandcigarette on February 05, 2022, 09:57:12 PMI don't have trouble finding one at all. I could get 20 tomorrow if I wanted, they just charge too much.

It's really sad that parents are making all the sacrifices to raise their children in a traditional Catholic parish and this is the way the young people are turning out. We were always taught never to ask for money and to be pleasantly surprised if we got anything at all.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Christina_S

Quote from: queen.saints on February 07, 2022, 02:44:18 AM
It's really sad that parents are making all the sacrifices to raise their children in a traditional Catholic parish and this is the way the young people are turning out. We were always taught never to ask for money and to be pleasantly surprised if we got anything at all.
Yeah. I mean, I get if you're a young lady living on your own and you've got bills to pay, plus if babysitting or nannying is your business venture and you're good at it, you can afford to charge a respectable rate. My old roomie was into it for a while: she worked 3 days in retail and 2 days nannying every week. Pay was pretty well minimum wage, but she gained a lot of experience and made connections with other families that she could work for.

But when I was a teen living at home, the expectation for pay when I babysat for friends and neighbours was pretty low. I'm willing to look after kids for other families in the parish I'm currently at, and I think the general idea is that they'd be willing to do the same for me. Sometimes bartering can be a better option than cash  :shrug:
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: queen.saints on February 07, 2022, 02:44:18 AM

As was I!! At 16 I tutored two little boys for a long time after their mother had died. The dad jokingly, and truthfully, said "here, this might buy you a banana."

coffeeandcigarette

Yes!! I regularly get eager young women offering to help...for 20 dollars per hour.