Would you attend these Masses?

Started by Bonaventure, April 25, 2024, 11:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

It's 1985, and a Sunday. Archbishop Lefebvre is down the street saying a Low Mass, no sermon, and ostensibly saying Mass "una cum JP2." 

It's 2024. A retired, 90 year old diocesan priest, who was ordained in 1964, is saying Mass on Sunday. This Mass is the only nearby Mass within 6 hours travel. The priest is 100% orthodox and is completely opposed to the Novus Ordo, V2, etc.  Said priest tried to do his best within the diocesan framework, and for his efforts was never given a real assignment and made a hospital chaplain his entire career. Little by little, he came to slowly reject the V2 changes, but this took decades.  Said priest publicly tells people, I think it is hugely possible and even likely that all of the conciliar popes have been impostors, that one day the Church will decide, that I don't want to make the decision. I simply personally don't agree with formal SVism for x, y, or z. He tells people that he has doubts as to Bergoglio's papacy, but he is afraid to omit this name because if he is wrong, he'd be schismatic and sinning. (FYI, this is all based off a real life example of a priest I know).

Would you attend these Masses? In the scenario, these are the only Masses you can avail of. It's either go to these, or stay home.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Baylee

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Stubborn

I voted yes, but that would mean the old priest is celebrating the TLM, not the NOM. If it was the NOM then I would not go there.
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bonaventure

Quote from: Stubborn on April 25, 2024, 12:23:54 PMI voted yes, but that would mean the old priest is celebrating the TLM, not the NOM. If it was the NOM then I would not go there.

I didn't even think to differentiate "Mass" vs "Novus Ordo."

awkward customer

If the old priest is saying the TLM then yes.

I might not take Communion though, if he mixes the hosts consecrated at his TLM with those from a NO Mass, taken from the tabernacle, as I have seen priests saying the TLM regularly do.

But there is grace in simply assisting at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass without taking Communion, according to the Catechism of Trent.

Michael Wilson

I voted yes, as I have attended such Masses and most older trads have also.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers