Spiritual Remedies for Anxiety

Started by alicewyf, August 10, 2016, 08:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alicewyf

I've had some annoying low level anxiety the past few days. Mainly worrying about things I can't control. Do you have any favorite devotions or prayers for this issue?

Jacob

Guardian Angel.  Yours, your husband's, yours and your husband's as a wedded couple, each of your kids', your family's.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Lynne

Here's a lovely prayer to our Lady of Mental Peace

http://catholictradition.org/Mary/mental-peace.htm

OUR LADY OF MENTAL PEACE PRAYER

O Lady of Mental Peace,
Mother of Tranquility and
Mother of Hope,
look upon me in this time
of disquiet and weakness.

Still my restless spirit,
teach my searching heart to know
that God's love for me
is unchanging and that the suffering
which He may will for me now
is to draw me closer to Him.

Let thy gentle peace and His ---
which the world cannot give ---
be always with me, that I may
be sanctified: and then:
I beseech thee
for the grace to bring this
peace to others.

Jesus, My Savior, I give myself
entirely to Thee through Mary:

Our Lady of Mental Peace,
pray for me!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Lynne

and here's something called St. Teresa's Bookmark

http://www.ourcatholicprayers.com/st-teresas-bookmark.html

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing;
God only is changeless.
Patience gains all things.
Who has God wants nothing.
God alone suffices.

It's actually much longer but I'm lazy and took the first link that I found...  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Lynne on August 11, 2016, 10:03:02 AM
and here's something called St. Teresa's Bookmark

http://www.ourcatholicprayers.com/st-teresas-bookmark.html

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing;
God only is changeless.
Patience gains all things.
Who has God wants nothing.
God alone suffices.

It's actually much longer but I'm lazy and took the first link that I found...  ::)

That is one of my favorite antianxiety things. 

Psalms are especially helpful also.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

verenaerin

Elizabeth

St. Thomas Aquinas suggested a glass of wine and a hot bath, if I recall.

Anxiety is everywhere these days.
:pray1:

Michael Wilson

This is a very nice prayer on the subject: http://www.beliefnet.com/prayers/catholic/guidance/just-for-today.aspx#
Just for Today
- Sy­bil F. Par­tridge
Lord, for tomorrow and its needs,
I do not pray;
Keep me, my God, from stain of sin
Just for today.

Let me both diligently work,
And duly pray.
Let me be kind in word and deed,
Just for today.

Let me be slow to do my will,
Prompt to obey;
Help me to sacrifice myself
Just for today.

And if today my tide of life
Should ebb away,
Give me thy Sacraments divine,
Sweet Lord today.

So for tomorrow and its needs
I do not pray,
But keep me, guide me, love me, Lord,
Just for today.

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LausTibiChriste

Introduction to the Devout Life has a short section on anxiety - might be worth checking out.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

ludimagister

Michael, you give a modernized and edited version of Just For Today. This is the version I learnt as a child, which I think is better:

Just for Today (Sr Mary Xavier)

Lord, for tomorrow and its needs
I do not pray;
Keep me, my God, from stain of sin,
Just for today.

Let me both diligently work
and duly pray.
Let me be kind in word and deed,
Just for today.

Let me be slow to do my will,
prompt to obey.
Help me to mortify my flesh,
Just for today.

Let me no wrong or idle word,
unthinking, say.
Set Thou a seal upon my lips,
Just for today.

Let me in season, Lord, be grave,
in season, gay.
Let me be faithful to Thy grace,
Just for today.

And if today my tide of life
should ebb away,
Give me Thy sacraments divine,
Sweet Lord, today.

In purgatory's cleansing fires
brief be my stay.
O bid me, if today I die,
Come home today.

So, for tomorrow and its needs,
I do not pray;
But keep me, guide me, love me, Lord,
Just for today. Amen.

Lynne

ludimagister

You'll find the hymn sung on YouTube. If you type in "Lord for tomorrow and its needs" it should be the first thing listed. I'm afraid I don't know how to copy links.

Michael Wilson

lud,
yes, your version is much better. I was looking for this one, and all I found was the other one. Thanks for posting.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers