Priests gifts...

Started by angelcookie, July 27, 2016, 02:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

Hello,
I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced a priest able to read your memories or thoughts. usually at Mass or Confession.... Most the time it's been a good thing to help guide the priest and get you where you should be, maybe clarify it warn. Never been done disrespectfully. Only one time had I encountered something oppressive however I am aware there are good priests and bad priests.

I know that there are some of the saints that share gifts in their lives. I think it transcends religions though as we see it on other cultures and religions, some more than others. Interesting topic huh.

verenaerin

Growing up we went to a church with 2 super old Italian priests They were off the boat and brothers. The oldest was friends with Padre Pio.

Anyway, he had a gift in the Confessional. He could read your heart. There are several stories where he reminded others of their sins and a few times he physically threw people out of the confessional because they were trying to deceive him, lie, or weren't really sorry.

Miriam_M

Quote from: verenaerin on July 27, 2016, 02:07:01 PM
Growing up we went to a church with 2 super old Italian priests They were off the boat and brothers. The oldest was friends with Padre Pio.

Anyway, he had a gift in the Confessional. He could read your heart. There are several stories where he reminded others of their sins and a few times he physically threw people out of the confessional because they were trying to deceive him, lie, or weren't really sorry.
Wow.  Just like Padre Pio!

Miriam_M

I once had a face to face Confession when the priest knew my sin ahead of time.  I've also heard from another priest that "all priests" have such a gift (or, from time to time -- maybe not every time; I'm not sure).

My own trad priest/Confessor is "psychic" with me outside of the Confessional.  (He hasn't revealed "knowing" my sins within the Confessional.)  He tends to know what some of my concerns are --in spiritual direction and other occasions outside the Confessional-- before I articulate those to him.  It will be something private I'm concerned about, and he will on his own voice that concern during direction.  Sometimes he will approach me about other private concerns I haven't directly shared with him, "knowing" that I would like to talk with him about the matter and need him to make the overture.

There's another very important fact that may influence these priestly gifts:  The fact that devoted priests are actually supposed to pray for their penitents.  (Did you know that?  I did.)  And the only priests who have ever prayed for me, to my knowledge -- i.e., whose prayers have affected me-- are trad priests.  Never once while I was occasionally in the N.O. for "Confession" did any priest pray for me (or express an interest in praying for me).  Both of my trad confessors have prayed regarding my particular sins and particular temptations.  How awesome is that?

...and the point being that I think their general receptivity to the action of grace may promote these "gifts" we're discussing.

Diocesan priests spend so much being "busy" and worldly that it's hard for me to imagine they're very tuned in.  I know I'm not when I'm "Martha" instead of "Mary" !

angelcookie

I didn't realize that the priests pray for their penitents. I thought they pray for the people praying the Mass with them. I remember hearing that they are responsible to complete penance they assign you should you not complete it. Hmmm. Honestly it makes me feel terrible I have begun to walk another path.

I wonder if you know a priest is holy but then start to doubt or fear that he is not a holy priest it is more of an attack of satan to confuse? Hmm.

verenaerin

I prefer holy priests, and it sure is great to go to confession to some. I have been to a few and thought how amazing it would be to go to "him" all the time.

That is not the situation I am in right now. The only place I can go to is the local NO. He says the same thing everytime. Probably the same thing to everyone. (I asked my husband). Sometimes it feels like I could go in there and confess to mowing down a school yard of kids and he won't even notice. I've even argued with him over heresy being taught in his school. My kids have asked for harder penances.

But you know what? This is the priest God has given me. So this is good enough for me. My holiness (or really lack there of) does not depend on this priest. He does the correct words for absolution and forgives my sins. Apparently that is what God wants to give me right now. Should he send a really holy and invested priest my way, I will be just as content.

Miriam_M

Quote from: angelcookie on July 27, 2016, 03:15:56 PM
I didn't realize that the priests pray for their penitents.
Yes, it is definitely a duty, and I have benefited enormously when they have done so.  But many priests, as I said, do not perform that duty or have not been instructed to, particularly diocesan priests.  The priest I mentioned in my earlier Reply (the priest at the face-to-face) was quite unusual for a diocesan priest, not only in these particular gifts but in his own visible holiness.

Also, it has helped me feel more responsible for my sins and for turning from those, given that my confessor prays for me.  It makes me aware of available graces and my need to take advantage of them.  (Consciously refusing graces is sinful, either venial or mortal, depending on the context or circumstances of the refusal.)  While he is required to pray for his penitents, we penitents are required to be receptive and responsive to our confessor's prayers.

Chestertonian

Quote from: verenaerin on July 27, 2016, 03:44:41 PM
I prefer holy priests, and it sure is great to go to confession to some. I have been to a few and thought how amazing it would be to go to "him" all the time.

That is not the situation I am in right now. The only place I can go to is the local NO. He says the same thing everytime. Probably the same thing to everyone. (I asked my husband). Sometimes it feels like I could go in there and confess to mowing down a school yard of kids and he won't even notice. I've even argued with him over heresy being taught in his school. My kids have asked for harder penances.

But you know what? This is the priest God has given me. So this is good enough for me. My holiness (or really lack there of) does not depend on this priest. He does the correct words for absolution and forgives my sins. Apparently that is what God wants to give me right now. Should he send a really holy and invested priest my way, I will be just as content.
same here!!

I don't think I have gotten any sort of advice in confession
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"