Is This Cheating?

Started by Amaryllis, October 15, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaryllis

So I'm in college, and I've noticed a lot of students doing something and I've done it myself as well at times, but I just suddenly wondered today if it could be considered cheating?

In many classes we are given homework assignments, and very often you can google the questions and find the exact answers.  I've always avoided doing this because it obviously reduces the amount of learning that actually occurs.  But then I thought today that this may actually be considered cheating.  I'm not sure because in an open-note assignment where the professor has already stated the the problems are identical to ones that are found on practice worksheets, in the textbook, in lectures, and other places, to me it doesn't seem that different compared to opening the textbook and looking to find the answer.  The difference is that you are not working out the problems.  What if you worked the problems when they provided the worked problem solutions and tried to understand how they did them?  I just don't know.

I am also fairly scrupulous so I'm taking this worry with a grain of salt.  I'll try to ask my priest about it but in the meantime, was wondering what you all think. 

queen.saints

Is the work going towards your grade? Sometimes homework is just extra and only tests count, in which case you can do it however you like. If it is going towards your overall grade, that would probably be cheating.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Amaryllis

Quote from: queen.saints on October 15, 2015, 03:05:01 PM
Is the work going towards your grade? Sometimes homework is just extra and only tests count, in which case you can do it however you like. If it is going towards your overall grade, that would probably be cheating.

It's graded.  A small proportion of the overall grade, but graded nonetheless. 

I haven't done it since having this thought.  But now it's making me question all kinds I have been doing.  :-(

MilesChristi

Cheating yes...only question is the gravity of the matter...

which would be based on how much you were involved with it and what is the matter you are cheating on...
and the gravity on cheating for education in the first place...

but cheating and sin it definitely is...
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

queen.saints

Quote from: Amaryllis on October 15, 2015, 03:14:19 PM
Quote from: queen.saints on October 15, 2015, 03:05:01 PM

It's graded.  A small proportion of the overall grade, but graded nonetheless. 

I haven't done it since having this thought.  But now it's making me question all kinds I have been doing.  :-(

Cheating is really confusing when you're in school and you just want to get stuff done. It makes the part of your brain that tells you it's wrong turn completely off, so it's great that you are seeing even iffy things like this, especially if everyone was doing it and you feel like it's normal or you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Flora

Quote from: Amaryllis on October 15, 2015, 02:30:14 PM
So I'm in college, and I've noticed a lot of students doing something and I've done it myself as well at times, but I just suddenly wondered today if it could be considered cheating?

In many classes we are given homework assignments, and very often you can google the questions and find the exact answers.  I've always avoided doing this because it obviously reduces the amount of learning that actually occurs.  But then I thought today that this may actually be considered cheating.  I'm not sure because in an open-note assignment where the professor has already stated the the problems are identical to ones that are found on practice worksheets, in the textbook, in lectures, and other places, to me it doesn't seem that different compared to opening the textbook and looking to find the answer.  The difference is that you are not working out the problems.  What if you worked the problems when they provided the worked problem solutions and tried to understand how they did them?  I just don't know.

I am also fairly scrupulous so I'm taking this worry with a grain of salt.  I'll try to ask my priest about it but in the meantime, was wondering what you all think.

If it's open-book and you're allowed to use all the resources available to you, then looking up the answers isn't necessarily cheating. If you don't understand how to solve a problem, then you can very well learn from studying the solution. However, it's always best to try to solve the problems yourself first. The kids who just copy solutions are going to do poorly on exams. And exam % > homework %.

Heinrich

SOunds like a lazy professor. Knowingly giving you "problems" with the answers available? There are mechanisms to prevent this. What you describe is intellectual laziness and slothful. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Amaryllis

Quote from: Flora on October 15, 2015, 03:37:54 PM

If it's open-book and you're allowed to use all the resources available to you, then looking up the answers isn't necessarily cheating. If you don't understand how to solve a problem, then you can very well learn from studying the solution. However, it's always best to try to solve the problems yourself first. The kids who just copy solutions are going to do poorly on exams. And exam % > homework %.

This is what I am conflicted about.  Say I am doing, for example, biology homework.  And I am supposed to answer a question about mitosis.  I'm supposed to give a one-word answer, and I don't know the answer.  I am allowed to use notes or other resources to complete the assignment. 

Can I look through the textbook, or lecture notes, find the one-word answer, and fill in the blank?  Honestly, I don't see why not.  That doesn't even remotely seem to be cheating to me.  Is it wise to do so mindlessly?  No.  I won't know the explanation and I probably won't understand the question if it appears on the exam.  But it doesn't seem sinful.

Say I am doing math homework.  I am supposed to answer a question.  The answer is the the only thing that matters (say it's multiple choice).  I have no idea how to solve it.   So I google the question, or look through the practice sheet, see the answer is C, and write that down.  This seems iffy to me.  But how is it any different than the above scenario?

I'm not trying to find loopholes, or justify sin if there is any.  I am honestly confused and would like to avoid doing this if it is actually sinful.  (I'm not saying that you are accusing me of such.)

Amaryllis

Quote from: Heinrich on October 15, 2015, 03:39:05 PM
SOunds like a lazy professor. Knowingly giving you "problems" with the answers available? There are mechanisms to prevent this. What you describe is intellectual laziness and slothful.

I think he pulls the problems out of textbooks.  Otherwise he would have to invent them, I guess.

Flora

Quote from: Amaryllis on October 15, 2015, 04:23:05 PM
Quote from: Flora on October 15, 2015, 03:37:54 PM

This is what I am conflicted about.  Say I am doing, for example, biology homework.  And I am supposed to answer a question about mitosis.  I'm supposed to give a one-word answer, and I don't know the answer.  I am allowed to use notes or other resources to complete the assignment. 

Can I look through the textbook, or lecture notes, find the one-word answer, and fill in the blank?  Honestly, I don't see why not.  That doesn't even remotely seem to be cheating to me.  Is it wise to do so mindlessly?  No.  I won't know the explanation and I probably won't understand the question if it appears on the exam.  But it doesn't seem sinful.

Say I am doing math homework.  I am supposed to answer a question.  The answer is the the only thing that matters (say it's multiple choice).  I have no idea how to solve it.   So I google the question, or look through the practice sheet, see the answer is C, and write that down.  This seems iffy to me.  But how is it any different than the above scenario?

I'm not trying to find loopholes, or justify sin if there is any.  I am honestly confused and would like to avoid doing this if it is actually sinful.  (I'm not saying that you are accusing me of such.)

That's not sinful. Homework is there for you to learn. It makes up a small percentage of the overall grade as an incentive for students to actually do it. Homework is not a quiz or exam. If the homework is open-notes/open-book, then by all means read the solutions if you don't know the answer. What are you supposed to do? Just leave the answer blank and never answer it because you didn't know the solution upon first glance? It's homework for a reason -- it's for struggling through and learning. Use all resources available, including the solutions manual.

Flora

Quote from: Amaryllis on October 15, 2015, 04:27:47 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on October 15, 2015, 03:39:05 PM

I think he pulls the problems out of textbooks.  Otherwise he would have to invent them, I guess.

I don't think the professor is necessarily lazy. A lot of undergraduate math/biology homework consists of regurgitated problems from year to year, textbook to textbook, school to school. There are only so many questions you can ask pertaining to a topic. Personally, I like having solutions available so that I can quickly check my answers afterward and learn from my mistakes. Waiting for homework to be graded and handed back severely delays the learning process. It's college. You're supposed to be in charge of your own learning. Not have answers withheld because you're too lazy to use them correctly.

Kaesekopf

Homework is practice for you to master and understand the material.  I wouldn't necessarily consider this cheating, but I would see it as a detriment to your ability to master the material.  Unless you use it as a guide or a help if you get stuck (how do I integrate this certain function?) and you move further in the problem.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

can you tell us what subject

what is a n example of a question
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Amaryllis

Quote from: Chestertonian on October 15, 2015, 05:57:09 PM

Well, the ones in question are math problems, and they are multiple choice questions.  If I truly have no clue how to do them, and the deadline for homework submission is approaching, then I'd try looking for the answers.  Ideally, I would try to understand how that answer came to be...doesn't always happen though.  Usually it's more like, "This is due, I'm going to put this down and look at the answer later and see how it is worked" but sometimes I procrastinate and that never happens...

Of course that comes back to bite me at exam time sometimes. 

Arun

Quote from: Amaryllis on October 15, 2015, 06:30:51 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on October 15, 2015, 05:57:09 PM

Well, the ones in question are math problems, and they are multiple choice questions.  If I truly have no clue how to do them, and the deadline for homework submission is approaching, then I'd try looking for the answers.  Ideally, I would try to understand how that answer came to be...doesn't always happen though.  Usually it's more like, "This is due, I'm going to put this down and look at the answer later and see how it is worked" but sometimes I procrastinate and that never happens...

Of course that comes back to bite me at exam time sometimes.

Math. Not even once.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih