What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christina_S

Punished by Rewards:  The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, As, Praise, and Other Bribes by Alfie Kohn.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Elizabeth.2

Quote from: red solo cup on February 17, 2021, 05:00:37 AM
Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
:rofl:
That was so funny!  You might try Homicide by what's his name from the Baltimore Sun, by which TV shows were inspired, but the book is twisted and funny.

Francisco Suárez

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2021, 12:01:14 AM
I'm really, really trying to get through Ed Feser's "Aquinas."  So far, so good.  I'm 40 pages in and it's going slow but well.  It's like drinking water from a fire hydrant, though!

It's funny you say that. I tried reading it several years ago, and despite finding it interesting, I got a bit too.... fatigued? Ended up moving on before finishing it. His other book, The Last Superstition, kept me peeled for the entire thing. Struggled to put it down!

Just commenced The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Let's hope I sail through it with the grace of Churchill...  :toth:

Jacob

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2021, 05:45:03 PM
Demonic Foes, by Richard Gallagher, MD

This book is an interesting read coming from the perspective of a medical doctor.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Shylock's Ewes and Rams by E Michael Jones. A condensed version of his 1500 page book Barren Metal. An absolute trove of insight into the economic growth of the West and how it diverged from a usury free society into an economically Darwinian world, ie usurious Capitalism.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Melkor

Finished Saladin by Richard Man. Not too impressed, he was pretty biased towards the Sultan. Reading Richard the Lionheart by W.B. Bartlett. The Crusaders (most of them) were more brutal and barbaric than most Catholics will like to admit, but they were fighting militant Islam, which was far worse than most historians will admit.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

red solo cup

On The Plain Of Snakes: A Mexican Journey by Paul Theroux
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Philip G.

Who here has read the lord of the rings trilogy more times than they have read the bible?
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Melkor

Me! Though I love the Children of Hurin and the Silmarillion more than the original trilogy.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Jacob

Been working through The Two Towers.  Smeagol just swore by the Precious to serve Frodo.
--Neal Stephenson

Melkor

Smeagol's character is so complex and rich. Brings the story to another level imo.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

Byzantium: The Decline and Fall by John Julius Norwich
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Prayerful

Dan Jones, In the reign of King John. Innocent III should probably have taken a more neutral line between King John and his barons. They might have been violent, arrogant men, but their King was a tyrant. That there were no further King Johns says enough.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.