Nova Anglia

Started by red solo cup, April 03, 2018, 06:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Greg

So it does not belong to Russia OR Ukraine but England!!!

Imagine that.  Fish and chips and tattooed fat people in ????.  We can rename it "New Brighton"
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Prayerful

I think I heard of that. Anglo-Saxon noblemen who served as Varangians, their own land haven fallen to harsh Norman rule, were settled there. Their Crimean colony, a little enclave on a peninsula which was then mainly Gothic and Pontic Greek (Pontic Greeks remained there until this minority suffered expulsion by Stalin after WW2 and final replacement by Russian settlers, already arriving there since Russian annexation of the Crimean Khanate in 1783), seems to have provided a source of recruits. The Swedish-Slavic Rus were an earlier source of recruits, but also a potential foe, while the Anglo-Saxons no longer had a home.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on April 03, 2018, 07:25:09 AM
So it does not belong to Russia OR Ukraine but England!!!

Imagine that.  Fish and chips and tattooed fat people in ????.  We can rename it "New Brighton"

They prolly came into contact with the Tartars and took their sauce recipe.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

mikemac

Quote from: Prayerful on April 03, 2018, 03:05:53 PM
I think I heard of that. Anglo-Saxon noblemen who served as Varangians, their own land haven fallen to harsh Norman rule, were settled there. Their Crimean colony, a little enclave on a peninsula which was then mainly Gothic and Pontic Greek (Pontic Greeks remained there until this minority suffered expulsion by Stalin after WW2 and final replacement by Russian settlers, already arriving there since Russian annexation of the Crimean Khanate in 1783), seems to have provided a source of recruits. The Swedish-Slavic Rus were an earlier source of recruits, but also a potential foe, while the Anglo-Saxons no longer had a home.

It kind of makes you wonder how the Anglo-Saxons were able to remain in Crimea during the harvesting of the steppe by the Crimean Taters who sold Slavic peasants as slaves to the Ottoman Empire.  Up to 2.5 million slaves are calculated to have passed through the Crimean market in Kaffa (Kefe) alone in the years 1500–1700, most of them destined for the Ottoman Empire.  There were 30 big Tatar raids recorded between 1558 and 1596.  I mean unless those Anglo-Saxons were Jews.  Crimean Jews also took part in this slave trade with the Ottoman Empire.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Prayerful

Quote from: mikemac on April 23, 2018, 09:24:29 AM
Quote from: Prayerful on April 03, 2018, 03:05:53 PM

It kind of makes you wonder how the Anglo-Saxons were able to remain in Crimea during the harvesting of the steppe by the Crimean Taters who sold Slavic peasants as slaves to the Ottoman Empire.  Up to 2.5 million slaves are calculated to have passed through the Crimean market in Kaffa (Kefe) alone in the years 1500–1700, most of them destined for the Ottoman Empire.  There were 30 big Tatar raids recorded between 1558 and 1596.  I mean unless those Anglo-Saxons were Jews.  Crimean Jews also took part in this slave trade with the Ottoman Empire.

Those Anglo-Saxons likely had long faded as an element by that time, although Pontic Greeks did retain a presence among the Russians and Tatars until Stalin's post WW2 deportations.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.