How to return to the Church when there are no parishes

Started by MooEdD, September 16, 2021, 09:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MooEdD

Hello,

I am a US citizen living in Hanoi, Vietnam. I was a Roman Catholic and then converted to the Eastern Orthodox church in 2016. I am now thinking about returning to the Catholic Church, but there are no traditional parishes near me. SSPX is in the Philippines, but it is not possible to just fly there due to COVID-19. The same is for other nearby countries.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: MooEdD on September 16, 2021, 09:10:30 AM

I don't read Vietnamese, so I can't help you, but what has worked for me in the past is to select the parish with the most confession times.  The parish with the most confession times is the parish where the priest is most likely to believe in the sacraments and the necessity of repentance.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, but you're much more likely to find actual Catholicism in the parish with the most confession times.  Parishes with confession only once a month or "by appointment only" are much more likely to be functionally atheistic social justice clubs.
this page left intentionally blank

MaximGun

Next time don't miss the last helicopter outta there, that is my recommendation.

Seriously I would get used to watching live Trad masses on line.  I cannot see Hanoi getting a Trad mass any time soon.

mikemac

Hello,

I am a US citizen living in Hanoi, Vietnam. I was a Roman Catholic and then converted to the Eastern Orthodox church in 2016. I am now thinking about returning to the Catholic Church, but there are no traditional parishes near me. SSPX is in the Philippines, but it is not possible to just fly there due to COVID-19. The same is for other nearby countries.

This July 19, 2013 article at The Eponymous Flower seems to imply that St. Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi offers a Latin Mass.  Quoting the article, "The liturgy is celebrated in Latin ...".  "In Vietnam, 9-10 percent of the population are Catholics."  That's 9-10 percent of 96.46 million people, so there should be a Latin Mass there.

Latin Mass in Hanoi: Travel Impressions of a Healthy Church

http://www.theeponymousflower.com/2013/07/latin-mass-in-hanoi-travel-impressions.html

Also;

They Watch Over It Still
"In 2019, Fr. Laurent Demets, FSSP, arrived in Vietnam."  Although he's in Saigon.

https://fssp.com/they-watch-over-it-still/

I hope this helps.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

GiftOfGod

Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

MooEdD

Quote from: mikemac on September 16, 2021, 06:04:16 PM
Hello,

This July 19, 2013 article at The Eponymous Flower seems to imply that St. Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi offers a Latin Mass.  Quoting the article, "The liturgy is celebrated in Latin ...".  "In Vietnam, 9-10 percent of the population are Catholics."  That's 9-10 percent of 96.46 million people, so there should be a Latin Mass there.

Latin Mass in Hanoi: Travel Impressions of a Healthy Church

http://www.theeponymousflower.com/2013/07/latin-mass-in-hanoi-travel-impressions.html

Also;

They Watch Over It Still
"In 2019, Fr. Laurent Demets, FSSP, arrived in Vietnam."  Although he's in Saigon.

https://fssp.com/they-watch-over-it-still/

I hope this helps.

Thank you. The TLM is no longer offered in Hanoi.

MooEdD

Jayne

While not ideal, various traditional groups make Masses available online.  You could watch these Masses and become accustomed to the traditional Mass this way.  You could also contact priests who could advise you about reading material and what process you require to return to the Church. 

Eventually you will need to go to Confession and this will require being "in person" but perhaps travel will have opened up by then.  I think there will be some preparation that you can do remotely, so you can start getting ready now.

Are you only interested in SSPX or would other traditional groups satisfy you?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

mikemac

The daily Rosary would also be a good preparation until you find your solution.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

MooEdD

Quote from: Jayne on September 17, 2021, 11:19:14 AM
While not ideal, various traditional groups make Masses available online.  You could watch these Masses and become accustomed to the traditional Mass this way.  You could also contact priests who could advise you about reading material and what process you require to return to the Church. 

Eventually you will need to go to Confession and this will require being "in person" but perhaps travel will have opened up by then.  I think there will be some preparation that you can do remotely, so you can start getting ready now.

Are you only interested in SSPX or would other traditional groups satisfy you?

To be honest, I don't really know. Things have changed in the five years I have been away. I have reached out to SSPX Asia, but I have not received a response. But, I heard something happened with them and several priests left. I need to learn about that.

I also wonder if Pope Francis is the pope. Although I am an academic, I prefer to just be obedient when it comes to my faith. But, this conflicts with my personal questions about the Pope: I could go to the local NO priest (he speaks English), but the confusion about my place in the NO church is what drove me away in the first place.

Do you have any recommendations? Do most of the people in this forum take an SSPX stance? Attend the diocesn TLM (although I heard this has been barred...is this true?)? Sedevacantists? Prior to my conversion and move to Vietnam, I went to Mass at St. Athanasius independent parish. So I am ok with independent parishes as long as they are led by validly ordained priests.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MooEdD

Quote from: mikemac on September 17, 2021, 09:12:39 PM
The daily Rosary would also be a good preparation until you find your solution.

Thank you. I will begin doing this today.

Michael Wilson

MooEd,
right now it sounds like you should be praying your Rosary and reading up on your faith, with good solid traditional Catholic books. such as the Baltimore Catechism; the Catechism of the Council of Trent etc. I wouldn't recommend assisting at the N.O. 1. It isn't Catholic 2. It isn't even a Mass. The SSPX has valid priests and sacraments; you can find a list of their chapels in Asia Here:
https://fsspx.asia/en/community/priories
Along with their email addresses, so that you can contact them.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jayne

Quote from: MooEdD on September 18, 2021, 06:49:32 AM

I also wonder if Pope Francis is the pope. Although I am an academic, I prefer to just be obedient when it comes to my faith. But, this conflicts with my personal questions about the Pope: I could go to the local NO priest (he speaks English), but the confusion about my place in the NO church is what drove me away in the first place.

Do you have any recommendations? Do most of the people in this forum take an SSPX stance? Attend the diocesn TLM (although I heard this has been barred...is this true?)? Sedevacantists? Prior to my conversion and move to Vietnam, I went to Mass at St. Athanasius independent parish. So I am ok with independent parishes as long as they are led by validly ordained priests.

I do not consider myself as having the authority to decide that Francis is not the pope.  I can understand why people question it, but I work on the assumption that he is.

Many people on this forum attend SSPX centres.  I am not sure if they are the majority.  Personally, I attend them, as well as diocesan TLM.  (These have not been banned throughout the Church, but bishops who want to can easily suppress them.)  There are some sedevacantists on this forum too.

Since you mention that you are American, I suggest that you consider contacting American traditional priests if your attempts to contact traditional priests in Asia do not work out.  Although they are not geographically close, they could nevertheless answer questions and make recommendations.

Jayne

Quote from: Michael Wilson on September 18, 2021, 08:06:00 AM
MooEd,
right now it sounds like you should be praying your Rosary and reading up on your faith, with good solid traditional Catholic books. such as the Baltimore Catechism; the Catechism of the Council of Trent etc.

In addition to good traditional catechisms such as those mentioned by Michael, you may find this helpful:  https://fsspx.uk/sites/sspx/files/an_open_letter_to_confused_cath_-_archbishop_marcel_lefebvre.pd_.pdf  When I was new to tradition, it helped me to understand the current situation in the Church.

(Feel free to PM me if you have further questions for me personally.  I will be taking a break from reading the forum, so I am not likely to see further posts by you.)

MooEdD

Quote from: Jayne on September 19, 2021, 06:09:44 AM
Since you mention that you are American, I suggest that you consider contacting American traditional priests if your attempts to contact traditional priests in Asia do not work out.  Although they are not geographically close, they could nevertheless answer questions and make recommendations.

Thank you, I will contact traditional priests in the US.