Is it modest to sleep in the nude?

Started by Humilitas, June 14, 2019, 03:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humilitas

Is it considered immodest for a traditional Catholic to sleep completely in the nude, or is it ok? Would age or marital status matter as long as there's reasonable privacy?

TradGranny

It's immodest only if there is a fire.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Vetus Ordo

God, the angels and your beloved spouse have seen it all.

Don't worry about it.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Sempronius

Depends on who you ask. On this forum we have three types of people:

First group is the 'sex is beautiful'-brigade. A banner depicting John Paull II is waving proudly in the sky, but they will maybe disagree with that.

Second group are the Rationalists. They favourite mantra is: "Its not intrinsically evil, the Church has never made a defintive decision on this issue.."

Third group: people with jansenistic tendencies. They are tough on modesty. Some are balanced, some are not. They like to quote saints.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Humilitas

A non-troll can't ask a question like that? Thanks for the other answers everybody.

Traditionallyruralmom

Here is my middle of the road answer....
Id say if you have lots of littles that bug you during the night, or crawl into bed with you because of bad dreams,  or you are constantly jumping out of bed cause of barfing, bed wetting, children's nightmares, ect ect..... better at least wear shorts and a tank top.
If not, I don't see why it is a problem.
Just have a robe ready to grab if you have to jump out of bed  ;) and you will be fine
I have heard women say that it was a handicap to be nude when they heard noise in the night and had to grab their firearm and take action, with no time to throw any clothes on  ;D
For the littles thing and the middle of the night intruder dilemma, I choose to wear some clothing.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Humilitas on June 15, 2019, 07:08:16 AM
A non-troll can't ask a question like that? Thanks for the other answers everybody.

to be honest, its easy to assume you are a troll when you have 3 posts and you ask a question like this.  glad you are not a troll  :)

Gardener

Obviously, there are times when brief full nudity is simply necessary. Showering, changing clothes, stuff like that.

My question is what the motivation would be.

My concern is if it would be an occasion of sin (easier access to "oneself" if being subject to a dream where it could become a problem; disposing one to feeling a bit randy, etc.)

I fail to believe that even in summer with no A/C one cannot wear something.

I understand disliking full 1950's Leave It To Beaver style pajamas, since they can bunch up, etc.

In the Rule of St. Benedict, he states to let (read: make) the monks sleep clothed. But that's also in a communal context.

So, again, what's the motivation and is it an occasion of sin for the individual? Why is it not possible to sleep with something on?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on June 15, 2019, 07:48:40 AM
Here is my middle of the road answer....
Id say if you have lots of littles that bug you during the night, or crawl into bed with you because of bad dreams,  or you are constantly jumping out of bed cause of barfing, bed wetting, children's nightmares, ect ect..... better at least wear shorts and a tank top.
If not, I don't see why it is a problem.
Just have a robe ready to grab if you have to jump out of bed  ;) and you will be fine
I have heard women say that it was a handicap to be nude when they heard noise in the night and had to grab their firearm and take action, with no time to throw any clothes on  ;D
For the littles thing and the middle of the night intruder dilemma, I choose to wear some clothing.

Or, lock the door  :P

Heinrich

Quote from: Humilitas on June 15, 2019, 07:08:16 AM

This has to be the oddest question I have ever seen on here or any Catholic message board. Just weird and awkward. Yes, modesty is a grand and necessary thing to be concerned about. Personally, I sleep in combat shorts and a performance tee in case of break in, fire, or Godzilla sighting.

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Heinrich on June 15, 2019, 10:46:21 AM
Personally, I sleep in combat shorts and a performance tee in case of break in, fire, or Godzilla sighting.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Please tell me you have an AR mounted on the wall over your bed for easy access?  It just completes the picture so well  ;D

Michael Wilson

Yes, one should not be undressed except for the times of bathing or getting in and out of clothing. Modesty is the safeguard of Chastity.  If I can find a good reference source I will post it.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

Here is Ven. Fulton Sheen:Ven. Fulton Sheen Says Love Of Nudity is a Characteristic of the Demonic
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHo8LVey-7Y&t=3s[/yt]
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 15, 2019, 12:23:56 PM
Here is Ven. Fulton Sheen:Ven. Fulton Sheen Says Love Of Nudity is a Characteristic of the Demonic
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHo8LVey-7Y&t=3s[/yt]

this is a very good talk, I often refer to it.