"Easter duty"

Started by Chestertonian, May 16, 2016, 04:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

is it a mortal sin not to receive Holy Communion during Easter

i just realized it has been months since i received Holy Communion and did not go to Mass or receive at all during Easter now it's over
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Elizabeth

It wasn't your fault, the meds make you lose track of time.  Not your fault that NYC diocese or whomever your priest belongs to has forgotten to come make sure you he hears your Confession and offers Our Lord to you.

Anyway, one of the factors present for Mortal sin is not present: deliberate intent.

It's kind of like there was a huge blizzard up in the mountain and nobody could make it up there to your cabin. 

alicewyf

I thought the Easter season ended on Trinity Sunday? You still have time! :)

Chestertonian

Quote from: Elizabeth on May 16, 2016, 04:42:59 PM
It wasn't your fault, the meds make you lose track of time.  Not your fault that NYC diocese or whomever your priest belongs to has forgotten to come make sure you he hears your Confession and offers Our Lord to you.

Anyway, one of the factors present for Mortal sin is not present: deliberate intent.

It's kind of like there was a huge blizzard up in the mountain and nobody could make it up there to your cabin.
have gone to confession multiple times during easter but do not receive because i do not feel wortgy and have aa hard time figuring out of my confession is valid

the priests have been Dominican at this hospital so it is anovus otdo. host.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: alicewyf on May 16, 2016, 04:49:07 PM
I thought the Easter season ended on Trinity Sunday? You still have time! :)

This is what I thought, too!
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 16, 2016, 04:54:37 PM

have gone to confession multiple times during easter but do not receive because i do not feel wortgy and have aa hard time figuring out of my confession is valid

Is there a Trad priest who can bring Communion to you?  If not, it is hardly your fault and certainly n sin.  There has to be intention for it to be a mortal sin.

Chestertonian

occasionally my parish priest can come.  he is a no priest who says the TLM.  they bring Holy Communion I just have said no because iof r possibility tp receive unworthily

Maximilian

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 16, 2016, 04:27:01 PM

is it a mortal sin not to receive Holy Communion during Easter

Yes. It is a grave obligation.

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 16, 2016, 04:27:01 PM

i just realized it has been months since i received Holy Communion and did not go to Mass or receive at all during Easter now it's over

No, you still have time. The Easter season lasts until Trinity Sunday which is this coming Sunday.

The reason for that is because the Octave of Pentecost lasts until next Sunday.
So it's still Easter season for the next few days.

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 16, 2016, 06:47:26 PM
occasionally my parish priest can come.  he is a no priest who says the TLM.  they bring Holy Communion I just have said no because iof r possibility tp receive unworthily

If you go to confession privately with a priest, wouldn't he give you Holy Communion right after that?

St.Justin

Liturgical Notes for Easter

From Universal Norms on the Liturgical Year and the Calendar:
22. The fifty days from the Sunday of the Resurrection to Pentecost Sunday are celebrated in joy and exultation as one feast day, indeed as one "great Sunday." These are the days above all others in which the Alleluia is sung.
23. The Sundays of this time of year are considered to be Sundays of Easter and are called, after Easter Sunday itself, the Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Sundays of Easter. This sacred period of fifty days concludes with Pentecost Sunday.

24. The first eight days of Easter Time constitute the Octave of Easter and are celebrated as Solemnities of the Lord.

25. On the fortieth day after Easter the Ascension of the Lord is celebrated, except where, not being observed as a Holyday of Obligation, it has been assigned to the Seventh Sunday of Easter (cf. no. 7).

26. The weekdays from the Ascension up to and including the Saturday before Pentecost prepare for the coming of the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete.

As Maximilian said, "Yes. It is a grave obligation."

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: JubilateDeo on May 16, 2016, 08:12:50 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on May 16, 2016, 06:47:26 PM

If you go to confession privately with a priest, wouldn't he give you Holy Communion right after that?

This.

dolores

It depends on what Code of Canon Law you believe is binding.

Under the 1983 Code, the time for fulfillment of the Easter Duty is the "Easter Season," which runs from the Easter Vigil Mass on Holy Saturday to Pentecost Sunday.  As there is no Octave of Pentecost in the NO calendar, the Monday after Pentecost begins "ordinary time."  Consequently, in the NO world, Trinity Sunday is not part of the Easter Season.

QuoteCanon  920

§1. After being initiated into the Most Holy Eucharist, each of the faithful is obliged to receive holy communion at least once a year.

§2. This precept must be fulfilled during the Easter season unless it is fulfilled for a just cause at another time during the year.

Under the 1917 Code, the time for fulfillment of the Easter Duty is from Palm Sunday to Low Sunday.  The Code allows the local Ordinary to extend the time from the Fourth Sunday in Lent to Trinity Sunday.  I've heard, although I have no authority, that the United States had a special indult extending the time further from the First Sunday in Lent until Trinity Sunday.

QuoteCanon 859

Each and every Catholic of either sex must, after having attained the years of discretion, receive holy Communion once a year at least in the Easter season, unless at the direction of his priest he believes it proper to abstain for some time.

The Easter Communion is to be received between Palm Sunday and Low Sunday; the local Ordinaries have the right to extend this period for all the faithful in their diocese, if they think this necessary on account of the condition of people and place, from the fourth Sunday in Lent to Trinity Sunday, but no further.

The faithful are to be advised to satisfy their Easter duty at their own parish church, and those who received in another church should take care to inform their pastor for the fulfillment of their Easter duty.

If for any reason one has not made his Easter duty within the prescribed time he is still bound by that precept.

verenaerin

A mortal sin requires 3 things. 1. grave matter, 2. full consent of the will, 3. full knowledge

Unless I understand the situation wrong, Ches can't get to Mass and has a hard time getting priests to visit. So him not receiving Holy Communion is not his choice. Which means that there is no full consent of the will. He is not choosing to not receive Holy Communion, it is the consequences of his illness/ hospitalizations/ lack of visiting clergy.

red solo cup

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 16, 2016, 04:54:37 PM

If your criteria is the fact that it is Novus Ordo then all of mine are invalid as well. I'm not losing sleep over it. If special circumstances  are valid then you should certainly be qualified for them.
Why do you feel unworthy if you don't mind my asking?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Elizabeth

It's the anti anxiety meds and seizures and the nearly incapacitating chronic illness.
It would do anybody's head in at times.  Please pray for a good priest to hear his confession and for him to receive Holy Communion.