What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Archbishop Lefebvre's Pastoral Letters.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bernadette

Dickens' Fur Coat and Charlotte's Unanswered Letters, by Daniel Poole. I've read his earlier book, too, What Charles Dickens Ate and Jane Austen Knew. Both bery good. :)
My Lord and my God.

Pheo

The Father's Tale by Michael O'Brien (author of Father Elijah).  It's pretty hefty at just over 1,000 pages, but it's really good so far.  This man has a way of bringing characters to life.  It's hard to describe the story just part of the way through, but it's touching on fatherhood (a given), poetry, Russian history...and it's turning into a bit of an adventure/retelling of the prodigal son.  It probably sounds a bit eclectic, but it works.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Larry

The latest issue of the New Oxford Review.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Pheo on November 18, 2013, 08:21:39 PM
The Father's Tale by Michael O'Brien (author of Father Elijah).  It's pretty hefty at just over 1,000 pages, but it's really good so far.  This man has a way of bringing characters to life.  It's hard to describe the story just part of the way through, but it's touching on fatherhood (a given), poetry, Russian history...and it's turning into a bit of an adventure/retelling of the prodigal son.  It probably sounds a bit eclectic, but it works.

Really, really good book.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

I just finished The Christmas Hirelings, by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. Sweet, but predictable.
My Lord and my God.

Basilios

About 3/5 of the way through Crime and Punishment now.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I am. It's really, really gripping. Awesome book. I wanted to read it just to be cultured (as one does!) but I thought I'd hate it because so many hipsters these days are all like, "So like Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy are totally like my favourite authors because they're like totally deep". But actually it's very good.

Raskolnikov has just gone to Sonya's apartment and she's reading about Lazarus.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Bernadette

I read Crime and Punishment in college, and found it incredibly depressing. I just read The Brothers Karamazov last year, for the same reason that you read C&P, and while I enjoyed it more than C&P, mainly because of Alyosha, elements of it really disgusted me and made me wish that I hadn't read it.
My Lord and my God.

Basilios

Quote from: Bernadette on November 25, 2013, 01:13:46 PM
I read Crime and Punishment in college, and found it incredibly depressing. I just read The Brothers Karamazov last year, for the same reason that you read C&P, and while I enjoyed it more than C&P, mainly because of Alyosha, elements of it really disgusted me and made me wish that I hadn't read it.

You're right, it's depressing, but in a weird way. I don't feel "down" reading it... I just feel kind of sucked into the mindset of Raskolnikov. The writing makes you really understand his frame of mind which is where it feels depressing, but at the same time you don't feel sympathy with him or anything. It's very weird and I was also disgusted at various times with Raskolnikov and his thoughts.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Lynne

Quote from: Clare on November 02, 2013, 01:30:21 PM
I wonder if you can help me, LouisIX. I finished the book a few days ago, and I never learn! Whenever I read books, I see interesting snippets, and I think, "I'll be able to find that again when I've finished." I never can!! I really ought to write notes in margins.

Anyhow, Fr Arminjon wrote surprisingly nice things about the fate of the unbaptised, and I can't find it now. I thought it would be near the end of the section on Hell, but it's not where I thought it was. If you know where it is, please give me the page number!

Thanks!

This is one of the reasons why I love Kindles. If you make a highlight of some text in a Kindle book, you can then go to www.kindle.amazon.com and once you log in, you'll see your highlights from all your books.

It's helpful because you can then, just cut and paste the text that you highlighted if you need to quote it somewhere... (I'm lazy, I don't like to type/transcribe the text)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

red solo cup

Just finished "Betrayed: An American Catholic Priest Speaks Out"  Raymond Kevane.
Reading this made me feel schizophrenic. He's a good solid Traditionalist pointing out the usual heresies. Modernism. Americanism. CITH etc.
But then he turns around and says that Vat.II is the best thing the Church has done in a long time.   :shrug:
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Clare

Motherhood and Family, which is a compilation of various Integrity articles.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bonaventure

I am Charlotte Simmons - Tom Wolfe.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."