What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Arun on July 06, 2015, 09:40:43 PM
Quote from: JubilateDeo on July 06, 2015, 09:01:14 PM

Obviously it's not a fashion book.

that fabric would make nice curtains though, or upholstery fabric.

They probably were curtains at one point

Gardener

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 07, 2015, 06:29:38 AM

And then the St. Mary's Fabric Famine hit, and they had to slaughter all the curtains for clothes fabric lest it go to waste or be gobbled up by the NO for vestments.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Quote from: Gardener on July 07, 2015, 06:33:53 AM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 07, 2015, 06:29:38 AM

And then the St. Mary's Fabric Famine hit, and they had to slaughter all the curtains for clothes fabric lest it go to waste or be gobbled up by the NO for vestments.

Well, they could have made a quilt out of it...  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

It's goofy shit like that that helps make serious Catholics look like basketcases.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 07, 2015, 08:04:06 AM
It's goofy shit like that that helps make serious Catholics look like basketcases.

Yeah, I don't know why people always want to take a few extreme cases and apply it to the general group. 

Kaesekopf

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 07, 2015, 09:34:12 AM

Yeah, I don't know why people always want to take a few extreme cases and apply it to the general group.

Well, it doesn't help that this goofy image is on the cover of a book about how to live a good Catholic life.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 07, 2015, 09:36:35 AM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 07, 2015, 09:34:12 AM

Well, it doesn't help that this goofy image is on the cover of a book about how to live a good Catholic life.

Good point.

Mono no aware

How superficial are we supposed to get in our concerns about how cool we look in the eyes of the world?

I think there's more to worry about than the fashions on the cover of a book.  They look like a nice family; fashions are ephemeral.  January Jones can make early 60s housewife fashions look fetching, but I don't think anyone's clamoring for a return to those styles.  They're generally regarded as silly now.

But they were the norm when they were around.  "Goofy" is relative.  What someone wears isn't necessarily indicative of their spiritual disposition or whether or not they're a basketcase.  People who are really pious probably don't care if the clothes they're wearing are from the 60s or the 90s, as long as they're modest.  "Lo, the Kingdom of God is within you."

Maximilian

No, it's the cruel maliciousness of this kind of mockery which makes Catholics look like they are lacking in charity.

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/morality/general/btongue.htm

"To tear apart an absent friend; to not defend him when he is attacked; to work at inciting indiscreet laughter and to build your reputation on an attitude of mockery; such is the behavior of a despicable person."

Kaesekopf

The girls' vests and slacks (dresses?) match the man's tie.

Goofy.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 07, 2015, 10:08:40 AM

Goofy.

And that kind of trivial, superficial detail is going to make serious Catholics look like "basketcases"?  There are greater dangers than that, I assure you.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 07, 2015, 10:13:56 AM

Goofy.

And that kind of trivial, superficial detail is going to make serious Catholics look like "basketcases"?  There are greater dangers than that, I assure you.

Yes, because appearances and the way you present yourself matters.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 07, 2015, 10:16:15 AMYes, because appearances and the way you present yourself matters.

Okay.  I was not aware that fashion sense was such an essential matter of importance to Catholicism.  I stand corrected.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 07, 2015, 10:16:15 AM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 07, 2015, 10:13:56 AM

Goofy.

Yes, because appearances and the way you present yourself matters.

Does it ever.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

JubilateDeo

I have heard from some women (mostly on the internet) that finding modest clothing is so hard for them, that they just gave up some time ago and just started buying loose fitting Amish clothes from places like The King's Daughters, etc.  The vast majority of clothes I see that would fit me in modern clothing stores are not appropriate for traditional Catholic women, so finding nice modest clothing is very challenging.  I'd never wear Amish clothes (those would be difficult for me to find) but it is a struggle not to just buy a bunch of shapeless muumuus and call it a wardrobe.  It is still worth it to try to dress nicely and modestly, because other people still have to look at you...