What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Heinrich

Quote from: red solo cup on January 07, 2014, 02:09:29 PM
Queen Isabella by William Walsh.

I just started this. What a tangled weave European royalty was.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Pheo

Starting to work my way through The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What It Means to Be an Educated Human Being.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Heinrich on May 03, 2015, 02:27:56 PM

A really great book.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

MilesChristi

This Side of Paradise by F Scott Fitzgerald
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Bernadette

The Arabian Nights' Entertainments, translated by Dr. Jonathan Scott. The clean, Victorian-approved version.  :thumbsup:
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

where the wild things are, make way for the ducklings
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bonaventure

The Black Man's Guide Out of Poverty
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Bernadette

Lulu's Christmas Story a warm, cozy look at a Catholic family's life during the Great Depression.  :thumbsup:
My Lord and my God.

Baldrick

Quote from: Baldrick on February 12, 2015, 09:26:18 AM
I spend about half my waking hours reading....

Then I have my more or less permanent reading: Chaucer, Homer and Dante.  On the latter, I have near zero Italian and so I have been teaching myself the Tuscan dialect while making my way through La Divina Commedia.  Actually, i was thinking about starting a reading group around Dante this if anyone's interested. 

This has evolved into every morning reading, in the original languages, a bit of Homer, something from the New Testament or Psalms, some Middle English poetry, and - as I mention above - I'm making my way through La Divina Commedia.  This way I keep fresh and make my way through quite a bit if I do it every day. 

On Dante, I'm getting better at it - can't "read" it quite yet, but getting close.  It was rather difficult to find an original text sans a facing page translation, which I find distracting.  The 3 Grandgent volumes are impossible to find but you can get them printed via the Harvard Bookstore.  The text is a wee bit outdated but it has some basic language-focused annotation, which is helpful.  And the are nicely sized. 

I'm also gathering around me books that will help me get a deeper understanding of the poem.  I have every single one of the extant English language commentaries digitally (through Dartmouth website).  I also have Charles William's Figure of Beatrice, Dorothy Sayers' Introductory Papers on Dante, as well as her Further Papers on Dante, Gilson's volume and a few scattered others.  I welcome any other suggestions!

Baldrick

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 30, 2015, 09:53:29 PM
Yarick: The Last Man on Earth

What is this?  I haven't heard of it and cannot find anything about it? 

Revixit

Quote from: Michael Wilson on May 03, 2015, 10:05:58 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on May 03, 2015, 02:27:56 PM

A really great book.

Thanks for the tip.  The book is available at Amazon for $5.99 for the Kindle book, and their affiliated sellers have one new hardcover edition for $57.56 plus used hardcovers priced higher than the new one. (What?!)  I've already downloaded a free Sample of it, am about to go to bed and read it until I fall asleep and my Kindle shuts off.

European royalty was indeed a very tangled weave. On my Kindle Paperwhite, during the past few days I've read Samples (a great Kindle feature) of Eleanor of Castile:The Shadow Queen; Joan of Kent, the First Princess of Wales; and A Reed in the Wind: Joanna Plantagenet, all of which promise to be very good reads.  Each one is a web of complicated relationships between royal families.

If you don't have a Kindle, you can read the Kindle books on a Kindle app, which I'm fairly certain is a free download.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us

Lynne

Quote from: Revixit on May 23, 2015, 10:47:41 PM

Thanks for the tip.  The book is available at Amazon for $5.99 for the Kindle book, and their affiliated sellers have one new hardcover edition for $57.56 plus used hardcovers priced higher than the new one. (What?!)  I've already downloaded a free Sample of it, am about to go to bed and read it until I fall asleep and my Kindle shuts off.

European royalty was indeed a very tangled weave. On my Kindle Paperwhite, during the past few days I've read Samples (a great Kindle feature) of Eleanor of Castile:The Shadow Queen; Joan of Kent, the First Princess of Wales; and A Reed in the Wind: Joanna Plantagenet, all of which promise to be very good reads.  Each one is a web of complicated relationships between royal families.

If you don't have a Kindle, you can read the Kindle books on a Kindle app, which I'm fairly certain is a free download.

Kindle samples are like crack.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"