What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

I don't like her work; we read some of her short stories when I was in High School (40+ years ago); but the supposed Catholic message is so well hidden as to be imperceptible to the average dumb reader like myself.  In other words I don't see what "the big whoop" on F.O'C is all about.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

tmw89

The Homogeneous Evolution of Catholic Dogma by Fr. Marin-Sola.  Have been reading it for a while (thanks to The Catholic Archive), it's a fascinating book.  I still wonder if it might have played a role in the deliberations for the later definition and declaration of the dogma of our Lady's Assumption...
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Michael Wilson

Quote from: tmw89 on June 22, 2014, 09:42:15 PM
The Homogeneous Evolution of Catholic Dogma by Fr. Marin-Sola.  Have been reading it for a while (thanks to The Catholic Archive), it's a fascinating book.  I still wonder if it might have played a role in the deliberations for the later definition and declaration of the dogma of our Lady's Assumption...
I have that book; I have had a real problem getting through it; its very heavy to lift, to read and especially to grasp everything that Fr. Sola is saying.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Daniel

I was reading The Concise History of the Crusades (as part of my research for a paper that was due two weeks ago that I haven't yet written).  I think I'm going to stop reading that book because there's no way I'm going to be able to finish it by the end of the semester (although the Crusades are interesting so maybe I'll resume reading that book at a later time).

I'm currently reading the Book of Job (Douay-Rheims Challoner translation) and I'm also reading St. Thomas Aquinas's Expositio super Iob ad litteram (Brian Mulladay translation) in order to help me to better understand the literal meaning of the Book of Job.

The Dumb Ostrich

Scholastic Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction by Edward Feser.

red solo cup

Locked On by Tom Clancy. Not bad.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Dumb Ostrich on June 23, 2014, 06:47:35 AM

I want to get that.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Heinrich

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 23, 2014, 10:46:41 AM

I want to get that.

Sounds fascinating. Our priest used metaphysical explanations in regards to Corpus Christi yesterday.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LouisIX

Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 01:40:08 PM

I want to get that.

Sounds fascinating. Our priest used metaphysical explanations in regards to Corpus Christi yesterday.

What did he say?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Heinrich

Quote from: LouisIX on June 23, 2014, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 01:40:08 PM

I want to get that.

What did he say?

The miracle of Transubstantiation: The body and blood of Christ while retaining the accidents of bread wine.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LouisIX

Priests should just start reading from the Summa every other week.

I'm mostly kidding.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on June 23, 2014, 02:10:29 PM

I'm mostly kidding.

It would be infinite improvement over the NO's happy-feeling storytime priests usually tell.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 23, 2014, 03:23:35 PM

I'm mostly kidding.

It would be infinite improvement over the NO's happy-feeling storytime priests usually tell.

Tell me about it. I hid in the bathroom last Sunday during the homily because I couldn't take it.  :-[
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on June 24, 2014, 06:18:49 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 23, 2014, 03:23:35 PM

I'm mostly kidding.

Tell me about it. I hid in the bathroom last Sunday during the homily because I couldn't take it.  :-[

That's a great idea! (although I'm very sorry you have to do it.)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"