Embroidery patterns

Started by Lynne, May 05, 2016, 06:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

I stumbled across two beautiful embroidery patterns the other day, the Infant of Prague and St. Therese of Lisieux...

http://qisforquilter.com/2016/02/free-pattern-friday-the-infant-of-prague-and-saint-therese-of-lisieux-embroidery-transfers/

They are pdfs, 11 x 17 inch each but, when printing them out, if you click on the "Poster" button in Adobe, it nicely prints each one in half on 2 sheets.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Pretty! :) I have a few religious cross-stitch patterns. One in particular of St. Bernadette that I particularly like.  ;D
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Oooo. Where did you get them? Someplace online?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

They closed a few years ago. :(
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

Those look so intricate! I'd love to see a finished product of one. I just this week got on an embroidery kick, after recently seeing a few things my mil made as wedding gifts. Yesterday, I finished a little, white embroidered hanky.  I crocheted a pink, lace edging, and it is for my Goddaughter. She makes her First Holy Communion on Saturday 😍. I only embroidered her initials, a small cross, and the date, using a simple back stitch. I think I have a ways to go before I attempt one of these patterns you posted, Lynne  ;)

Lynne

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on May 05, 2016, 08:16:59 AM
Those look so intricate! I'd love to see a finished product of one. I just this week got on an embroidery kick, after recently seeing a few things my mil made as wedding gifts. Yesterday, I finished a little, white embroidered hanky.  I crocheted a pink, lace edging, and it is for my Goddaughter. She makes her First Holy Communion on Saturday 😍. I only embroidered her initials, a small cross, and the date, using a simple back stitch. I think I have a ways to go before I attempt one of these patterns you posted, Lynne  ;)

lol I know...

They are a little too busy. I was thinking of omitting some of the lines *and* coloring it using this technique...

Crayon Tinting instructions

Some of the patterns are tinted with Crayola Crayons. It's a really fun technique that looks SO COOL when it's done right!!! I like to start the process by coloring any area that's going to be tinted with white crayon. It sort of "fills" the weave of the fabric and smooths it out to create a base for the colored crayons. It also helps with the blending of colors..........SO!!! You can go through quite a bit of white crayon in a single project. In "Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage" I used almost 3 white crayons. Having to buy another ENTIRE box of colored crayons just to get one, single, lousy white crayon is just, well......maddening! But....having a little box of all white on hand.....is.....happy-ing! Yes, that's a new word.

Color tinting is really easy......

1. Trace the design onto the fabric as usual
    2. Make sure your work surface is clean and smooth and there isn't any lint/threads on the back of the fabric.
    3. Color all areas that you'll be tinting somewhat heavily with white crayon.
    4. Tint all areas as directed in the pattern (or use your own imagination!) I like to use a little circular motion........
    5. If you've made any mistakes in coloring, now is the time to fix them! After they're heat set it's too late.
        One way to remove color is by dabbing with removable mounting putty such as Loctite Fun-Tak (the stuff you use to temporarily put posters on the wall).
        You can also remove most mistakes by using a cotton swab dipped in a paste made from baking soda and water, and rubbing the colored area until the color disappears. Then rinse JUST THAT SMALL AREA with clear, cool water and let it air dry. You can now re-color or proceed with heat setting.
    6. Heat set with a hot iron by laying a white paper towel over the tinted area and pressing (you'll smell the wax) Remove the paper towel and look at it.....if there's ANY color on it repeat the pressing process with a clean paper towel.

Crayon Tinted Fabric Washing Instructions

The crayon tinting embroidery method has existed since the 1930s or 40s and some things have survived, such as aprons and tea towels, with some fading. However, since this is an embroidered quilt and since we can't be absolutely sure about new stain fighting soap formulas, the best thing to do is treat it like the very delicate hand-made quilt that it is, by using a gentle soap and washing with cold water on the delicate cycle or by hand washing. For example, if your child accidentally were to get crayon on their shirt, you'd probably never get it out, but Murphys's law being what it is, if it's going to come out of something, it will come out of the quilt. So be careful!

http://www.crabapplehillstudio.com/other-stuff/commonly-asked-questions.html

Too many beautiful ideas out there!!!