An atheist with faith...

Started by houseofcantor, December 31, 2013, 12:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

Quote from: RobertJS on January 01, 2014, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: Penelope on January 01, 2014, 05:47:43 PM
ElizabethAnn, it's not RobertJS' decision whether you stay or go. Please, stay, ask questions, take advantage of the information that folks are offering. We're glad to have any sincere posters here.

Robert, moderate your tone. You can instruct and explain the truth without being harsh and unwelcoming to new members, especially ones who are uncertain about where they stand here.

If you can quote me and suggest how I should have worded it, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I really don't know what you mean.

How about this:

Instead of
QuoteYou are promoting a mortal sin against the 1st Commandment. From a traditional examination of conscience:

"Have you doubted in matter of faith?"

Perhaps you could have said, "Vakarian, you probably didn't intend to promote this, but doubting a matter of faith is considered grave matter for mortal sin against the first commandment. We don't want to give the impression that doubting is something to be encouraged." Then, you could have made Jayne's distinction about voluntary versus involuntary doubt so that ElizabethAnn could understand that you weren't directing your comment toward her necessarily.

ElizabethAnn

Thank you again.  Many of you have been quite welcoming.  I need to do more reading because I really think I need to start over from the beginning and that is the only way I will fill in gaps in my religious background.

EA

RobertJS

Quote from: Penelope on January 01, 2014, 06:12:47 PM
Quote from: RobertJS on January 01, 2014, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: Penelope on January 01, 2014, 05:47:43 PM
ElizabethAnn, it's not RobertJS' decision whether you stay or go. Please, stay, ask questions, take advantage of the information that folks are offering. We're glad to have any sincere posters here.

Robert, moderate your tone. You can instruct and explain the truth without being harsh and unwelcoming to new members, especially ones who are uncertain about where they stand here.

If you can quote me and suggest how I should have worded it, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I really don't know what you mean.

How about this:

Instead of
QuoteYou are promoting a mortal sin against the 1st Commandment. From a traditional examination of conscience:

"Have you doubted in matter of faith?"

Perhaps you could have said, "Vakarian, you probably didn't intend to promote this, but doubting a matter of faith is considered grave matter for mortal sin against the first commandment. We don't want to give the impression that doubting is something to be encouraged." Then, you could have made Jayne's distinction about voluntary versus involuntary doubt so that ElizabethAnn could understand that you weren't directing your comment toward her necessarily.

Perhaps. (Which implies, perhaps not).

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

zork

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

RobertJS

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

Kaesekopf

Quote from: ElizabethAnn on January 01, 2014, 06:24:32 PM
Thank you again.  Many of you have been quite welcoming.  I need to do more reading because I really think I need to start over from the beginning and that is the only way I will fill in gaps in my religious background.

EA

If you want a good Catholic catechism, the Baltimore Catechisms are great, but Canon Ripley's "This is the Faith" is also stellar.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Basilios

The fisheaters website (not the forum, the actual main website) has good information too.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Penelope

Quote from: ElizabethAnn on January 01, 2014, 06:24:32 PM

EA

I might recommend getting the St. Joseph's Baltimore catechisms that are used to prepare elementary school aged children for their sacraments. They're thorough, but not overly complicated, and they're straightforward.

per_passionem_eius

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

Penelope

Quote from: RobertJS on January 01, 2014, 06:25:00 PM
Perhaps. (Which implies, perhaps not).

In that case, consider this another official warning. You did not post in charity when you did not give Vak the benefit of the doubt. Further, your absolute refusal to listen to moderators' repeated warnings to moderate your tone, as well as your apparent inability to not be rude, seriously makes the moderation team question your ability to continue as a member of this forum. Per the new banning system, this is your second warning. Your next offense will result in a ban.

Edit: Actually, I got the banning system wrong. RobertJS gets a one-day ban.

ElizabethAnn

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on January 01, 2014, 06:39:12 PM
The Penny Catechism.  ;)

An easy way to start, thank you, I have that site bookmarked!  This weekend, I can do some reading.

I will also be looking into the other suggestions that have been made. 

EA

ImperialGuardsman

Quote from: ElizabethAnn on January 01, 2014, 06:55:30 PM
Quote from: per_passionem_eius on January 01, 2014, 06:39:12 PM
The Penny Catechism.  ;)

An easy way to start, thank you, I have that site bookmarked!  This weekend, I can do some reading.

I will also be looking into the other suggestions that have been made. 

EA

I'm glad that you are finding good information.  I for one am a convert from, well, I'll call it "Cultural Christianity."  That is, Christmas is about Christ (whatever that means) and that there is a God.  I had terrible formation through RCIA but was able to more fully come to tradition with the help of the internet (and a few honest Catholics I have known).  Welcome and I hope you can one day understand the faith and to hold it yourself.
"One would be straying from the straight path were he to wish the altar restored to its primitive tableform; were he to want black excluded as a color for the liturgical vestments; were he to forbid the use of sacred images and statues in Churches...and lastly were he to disdain and reject polyphonic music or singing in parts, even where it conforms to regulations issued by the Holy See." - Ven. Pope Pius XII

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--  (Stolen from EcceQuamBonum's signature)

America, that great bastion of the Enlightenment, is the destroyer of all religions.--LouisIX