What time period from history would you like to live in?

Started by Melkor, February 12, 2021, 09:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

So I know that God put us here at this moment because now is when we are meant to save our souls. But if you could, what is the ideal time period you would have liked to be placed in? Just thought it would be interesting to hear what you people have to say. For myself, I would like to have lived in either the mid 1800's, or the 1950-60's. Possibly also the Golden Age of Greece.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

drummerboy

Medieval Scandinavia or England, and New France/French Canada
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Tennessean

Early Modern and the Age of Discovery, like Captain Alatriste, the landesknecht, condottieri.

DigitalLogos

17th century France, during her age of Catholic piety well before the Revolution. I have ancestors that lived in France, so perhaps it just has to do with my French blood. ;)

Being able to live in a small countryside village centered around the local parish with daily access to the sacraments would be enough.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: Melkor on February 12, 2021, 09:07:12 AM
So I know that God put us here at this moment because now is when we are meant to save our souls. But if you could, what is the ideal time period you would have liked to be placed in? Just thought it would be interesting to hear what you people have to say. For myself, I would like to have lived in either the mid 1800's, or the 1950-60's. Possibly also the Golden Age of Greece.

Golden age of Greece eh? Well, I wouldn't have to wax my eyebrows...lol

The Curt Jester

Current age despite how absurd everything is becoming. 

I don't do well with what-ifs.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Insanis

Quote from: The Curt Jester on May 23, 2021, 09:41:03 PM
Current age despite how absurd everything is becoming. 

I don't do well with what-ifs.

I was going to write the same. Counter-factual conditionals are tricky and probably meaningless. If I were to ask God about such a thing, I would expect an answer to the effect "what is is, and what is not is not".

coffeeandcigarette

I really struggle with questions like this, which I pose to myself all the time...

I would say olden times. Times we always assume were times of more faith, more modesty, more simplicity, etc; but the more I study history and read the writings of the saints, the more disenfranchised I become with any of my favorite past time periods. I think we are about even in terms of faith, and we have the benefits of hygiene, medicine, and education. I think, all things considered, I have to choose 2021...

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

clau clau

Ireland, circa 1847.  Oh wait ...

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Aulef

Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te