"Don't show your faith." Has anyone encountered this error?

Started by Gerard, May 16, 2019, 11:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

I have run into this comment made by Catholics on several occasions over the last few decades.  Back in the late 1980s or early 90s, I heard a friend say it in conversation when we were complaining to each other about the "over-enthusiasm" of our friends who were into the Charismatic thing.  He said, "You aren't supposed to show your faith."  I tucked it away as odd ( I was not a trad at the time.) and moved on. 

Recently, I heard a stranger say the exact same thing when I struck up a conversation with him and I was reminded of that incident. 

I take it the admonishment is supposed to be "Don't make a show of your faith." In the sense of the Pharisee and the Publican parable. 

I wonder if it was either a comprehension problem that lead to the mistake or yet another bit of insidious and deliberate misleading in the post-Vatican II era. 

But I was curious, has anyone else ever encountered this completely bizarre lesson that flies in the face of virtually everything that concerns living a Catholic life publicly?

Miriam_M

If it means 'don't show' as in 'hide," then yes, it flies in the face of witness, let alone evangelization -- both of which are NT commands.

No, I have never encountered it, but I have encountered general disapproval (not aimed at me, I don't think) about "offending" others by identifying with a particular religion.  LOL, apparently identifying as Jewish is admirable, but it is "offensive" to identify as Catholic, lest there be Jews present (the reasoning goes) traumatized by that identification.

Gardener

No. But I have had instances where my scapular had ridden up and was visible and people commented positively on it. Or when we pray before meals in public.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Philip G.

This reminds me of a recent sensus fidelium sermon I heard.

The problem I see with this "don't show your faith" idea is twofold.  And, I see it as related to Christ's admonition not to throw pearls before swine.  However, I will repeat and use what the priest emphasizes in the sermon, "we do not possess knowledge that others should not possess".  This is true, from the perspective of the church teaching as a whole, and this is why we should not "hide our faith".  However, we do possess something which some should not possess.  And, that something is the kingdom, and that someone who should not possess it is antichrist.  St. Paul says there remains faith, hope, and charity, and the greatest of these is charity.  The enemies of God should not possess that which is inseparable from charity.  And, that is in the case of the whole again, God's people, the catholic church.  The gates of hell shall not prevail.  But, gates is don't forget, plural.  And, the twofold error of this is lordship, and slavery.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The Curt Jester

That reminds me of a pastor I worked for once.  In his preaching, he said: "Wear your faith on your sleeve."

A few weeks later he told me I couldn't play Ave Maria at a memorial Mass because it might offend the protestant relatives.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Josephine87

Maybe he meant wear your faith on your short-sleeved shirt but then put on a coat to cover it up.

Badumbum.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur