Catholic smartphone apps

Started by Kaesekopf, December 27, 2012, 03:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I recently used the divinum officium app at Mass for Palm Sunday.  I left my missal at home, and I didnt keep my nose buried in the phone.   

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 21, 2016, 04:03:01 PM
I recently used the divinum officium app at Mass for Palm Sunday.  I left my missal at home, and I didnt keep my nose buried in the phone.   

What's the exact name on the Play Store:? I cannot seem to find the app you mention. Thanks.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Kaesekopf

Oh, sorry, it's not an app yet.  Just the divoff website.  Then the cellphone link.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 04, 2016, 01:01:17 PM
Oh, sorry, it's not an app yet.  Just the divoff website.  Then the cellphone link.

Oh I see. I do sometimes put a link on my phone home page. I could never abide Tapatalk for forum. It won't harm me to add another link to the home page, less space hogging than an app, and sometimes every bit as good.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Prayerful on April 05, 2016, 07:07:50 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 04, 2016, 01:01:17 PM

Oh I see. I do sometimes put a link on my phone home page. I could never abide Tapatalk for forum. It won't harm me to add another link to the home page, less space hogging than an app, and sometimes every bit as good.

The old Tapatalk is a lot better than the new Tapatalk.  The new Tapatalk is shit.

Prayerful

iMass derped before last Sunday's Mass. I thought it was a data snafu, but the video feed of Masses worked, but the Missal and anything textual stopped working for a bit.

Lumen Christi

Laudate for the iPhone (and possibly other phones, but I can't speak for them) is very good.

Prayerful

Quote from: Lumen Christi on October 21, 2017, 01:08:39 PM
Laudate for the iPhone (and possibly other phones, but I can't speak for them) is very good.

Laudate doesn't appear to have the Mass of Ages, reading a little of the 'Order of Mass' helps recall for me how banal and irritating the NOM so often was. My hand missal from 1851 is as useable as one from 1940 or 1962 (except St Joseph added to the Communicantes which isn't audible unless one is near the inner altar rails), no changes worth worrying about until the Robber Council started to hack at and option away the Mass before the NOM horror. iMass seems issue free, the worst usually is that there was the occasional typo in the translation.

Lumen Christi

Quote from: Prayerful on October 21, 2017, 03:15:00 PM
Laudate doesn't appear to have the Mass of Ages, reading a little of the 'Order of Mass' helps recall for me how banal and irritating the NOM so often was. 
It has a translation of the TLM, which pairs well with this: livemass.net

Lynne

There's a new trad app, https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2017/10/never-again-get-stuck-without-2017-ordo.html

Our friends at Romanitas Press have just produced a trial version of their mobile Android app of the 2017 Ordo for the traditional Roman Missal and Breviary (1962) — and it's only 99 cents. The 2018 version for both Android and Apple should be available next month.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

Quote from: Lynne on October 21, 2017, 05:28:03 PM
There's a new trad app, https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2017/10/never-again-get-stuck-without-2017-ordo.html

Our friends at Romanitas Press have just produced a trial version of their mobile Android app of the 2017 Ordo for the traditional Roman Missal and Breviary (1962) — and it's only 99 cents. The 2018 version for both Android and Apple should be available next month.

Very neatly done.

I hope that the St Lawrence Press Ordo Recitandi, based on the typical edition of the Roman Missal could be done in that format, Yet a booklet, which it is, does have the advantage of never emitting bleeps at unwanted times.  :P

JackoPaul

why not just create a suscipedomine.com app it is simple enough?

get people to post what features they like in other apps and what else they would like it to do

Prayerful

iMass streaming doesn't working on the Android app for me for quite a while. I liked when TLM wasn't possible in a given location with a good data signal.

Christopherus

I use Universalis each day for the Liturgy of Hours, plus the Gospel reading. It's a paid for app, but of excellent quality/design.

Prayerful

Quote from: Prayerful on August 19, 2018, 02:29:00 PM
iMass streaming doesn't working on the Android app for me for quite a while. I liked when TLM wasn't possible in a given location with a good data signal.

Oddly, I have two versions, a plainly designed FSSP branded one where streaming or recorded Masses work with a decent data signal, and more decorated one where the recording / stream of Mass rarely, if ever works. The former is likely a newer version.