Being gay is a gift now, per Crisis Magazine/Forward Boldly

Started by LaramieHirsch, December 21, 2013, 04:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I think, as someone else has said, it offers a greater chance/opportunity for those struggling with same-sex attraction to gain greater holiness and merit. 

However, I would not consider it a "gift" to have SSA. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

lauermar

Elizabeth, are you implying that persons with SSA are not called to a life of chastity and service to God? What else should they do?
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Christine Niles

The lady who runs Forward Boldly thinks it a good article. 

Hello! I'm the "lady who runs Forward Boldly," and I do indeed think Ruse's article is good--because if you re-read it, you will find that he OBJECTS to the New Homophiles and their philosophy on the so-called "gift" of gayness.

If you re-read the article, you will see that he is not promoting what is being claimed in this thread. I utterly reject the New Homophiles and their philosophy (as anyone can see if you have read my comments on my personal facebook page or at Elizabeth Scalia's blog). Same-sex attraction is objectively disordered, and certainly not a "gift."

I'll have Austin Ruse on my radio show in January 2014 to talk further about this. Stay tuned.
God bless,
Christine Niles

http://laudemgloriae.blogspot.com

Jayne

Quote from: Christine Niles on December 30, 2013, 07:16:30 PM

The lady who runs Forward Boldly thinks it a good article. 

Hello! I'm the "lady who runs Forward Boldly," and I do indeed think Ruse's article is good--because if you re-read it, you will find that he OBJECTS to the New Homophiles and their philosophy on the so-called "gift" of gayness.

If you re-read the article, you will see that he is not promoting what is being claimed in this thread. I utterly reject the New Homophiles and their philosophy (as anyone can see if you have read my comments on my personal facebook page or at Elizabeth Scalia's blog). Same-sex attraction is objectively disordered, and certainly not a "gift."

I'll have Austin Ruse on my radio show in January 2014 to talk further about this. Stay tuned.
God bless,
Christine Niles

http://laudemgloriae.blogspot.com

A couple posters have already pointed out that the OP misunderstood the article, but it is good that you dropped in to say so as well.  Thanks for the clarification.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

per_passionem_eius

Sorry, but I find it hard to read that article because it isn't as clear as what I'm used to, and trying to encourage more of.  Speaking for myself, when I see the word 'gay' used

Quote from: Austin Ruseout of deference to the good people I am writing about

I hear alarm bells.  It seems needlessly accommodating. 

QuoteThe conversation is fascinating and I must admit I started out annoyed. After all, there are good men and women trying to be faithful but who reject the gay identity, and others who are trying to deal with the underlying psychological genesis of unwanted same-sex attraction, a process the New Homophiles largely dismiss.

I don't know why the writer chose this group as a subject, without making it very clear where he stands.  How did he go from 'annoyed' to 'fascinated'?  Too much familiarity?

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

LaramieHirsch

Christine,

Love the Forward Boldly channel on Facebook.  I check it every day. 

I'm always in a hurry, so I did not re-read the article.  I think the boldest thing about the article was these people coming out an in your face about how being gay is a gift--which I disagree with. 

Anyway, thank you for the clarification. 

-LH
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

LaramieHirsch

If you re-read the article, you will see that he is not promoting what is being claimed in this thread.

I've taken a second glance at the article.  What I see is straight up reporting, neither denouncing it nor approving it. 

Actually, the tone of the article is almost as if it carries the voice of a showman presenting a new product to consumers. 

If someone sees a phrase, sentence, or paragraph in there denouncing this idea of "gay is a gift," then can you point it out to me? 
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

Jayne

Quote from: LaramieHirsch on December 31, 2013, 04:57:39 AM
If you re-read the article, you will see that he is not promoting what is being claimed in this thread.

I've taken a second glance at the article.  What I see is straight up reporting, neither denouncing it nor approving it. 

Actually, the tone of the article is almost as if it carries the voice of a showman presenting a new product to consumers. 

If someone sees a phrase, sentence, or paragraph in there denouncing this idea of "gay is a gift," then can you point it out to me?

Towards the end he talks about why he finds their position annoying and says, "It will be hard for many of us to believe the Church ever could develop to the extent wanted by this school of writers and thinkers. From a disorder to a gift is a long long way to go."

It is not the sort of fiery denunciation with name-calling that some people like, but it shows that the author does not believe the "homophile" position is compatible with Church teaching.

Greg

If being gay is a gift, I am going to block up my chimney before next Christmas.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Lynne

How is Christine Niles tied to this article? Did she mention it on FB or something?

And I do think it is written somewhat sympathetically... I think it's a strange perspective for Crisis Magazine which seemed to be heading back to its roots lately, i.e. distainful of novelities in the Church.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Jayne

Quote from: Lynne on December 31, 2013, 08:53:41 AM
And I do think it is written somewhat sympathetically... I think it's a strange perspective for Crisis Magazine which seemed to be heading back to its roots lately, i.e. distainful of novelities in the Church.

It seemed to me to be written from the perspective of an person who disagreed with the position but was trying to be fair to it.  I did think that the author seemed sympathetic to the struggles of homosexual persons trying to follow Church teaching, but that is how Catholics ought to be.

Basilios

I think we've been sympathetic now for too long. It's gone too far. Homosexuality is treated like some special gift from God when in fact it's a sick perversion. Where's the same sympathy for peados? Or bestiality types? It's only recently when the world decided to adopt queers as a pet project that the Church started pandering to them too.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Jayne

Quote from: Basilios on December 31, 2013, 09:16:10 AM
I think we've been sympathetic now for too long. It's gone too far. Homosexuality is treated like some special gift from God when in fact it's a sick perversion. Where's the same sympathy for peados? Or bestiality types? It's only recently when the world decided to adopt queers as a pet project that the Church started pandering to them too.

Seeing whatever cross one has been given to bear as a gift is a traditional Catholic approach.  It only becomes problematic when one gives a special status to homosexuality beyond the other crosses that people carry.

It is only recently that we have begun to understand how deeply rooted same sex attraction can be and how difficult it is to resist.  When we apply Catholic principles to this knowledge we are likely to be sympathetic.  People who are trying to follow Church teaching are doing the right thing and deserve our support.  That applies whatever sins the person might be tempted to.

dust

Gift?

St. Paul's letter to the Romans; Ch. 1
[26] For this cause God delivered them up to shameful affections. For their women have changed the natural use into that use which is against nature. [27] And, in like manner, the men also, leaving the natural use of the women, have burned in their lusts one towards another, men with men working that which is filthy, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was due to their error. [28] And as they liked not to have God in their knowledge, God delivered them up to a reprobate sense, to do those things which are not convenient; [29] Being filled with all iniquity, malice, fornication, avarice, wickedness, full of envy, murder, contention, deceit, malignity, whisperers, [30] Detractors, hateful to God, contumelious, proud, haughty, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

[26] God delivered them up: Not by being author of their sins, but by withdrawing his grace, and so permitting them, in punishment of their pride, to fall into those shameful sins.

[31] Foolish, dissolute, without affection, without fidelity, without mercy. [32] Who, having known the justice of God, did not understand that they who do such things, are worthy of death; and not only they that do them, but they also that consent to them that do them"

Hardly a gift.
"The Truth is still the Truth, even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it." ++ Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen
"Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris"

Miriam_M

Quote from: dust on December 31, 2013, 01:41:36 PM
Gift?

St. Paul's letter to the Romans; Ch. 1.......
[26] ......[29] Being filled with all iniquity, malice, fornication, avarice, wickedness, full of envy, murder, contention, deceit, malignity, whisperers, [30] Detractors, hateful to God, contumelious, proud, haughty, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

[26] God delivered them up: Not by being author of their sins, but by withdrawing his grace, and so permitting them, in punishment of their pride, to fall into those shameful sins.
Hardly a gift.

Agree.  (Any more than a compulsion toward alcoholism, theft, masturbation, gluttony, avarice/acquisitiveness, etc., are "gifts."  They are all disordered attractions, not to be glorified, praised, or congratulated for. )  And most people who value The Good do not brag about The Bad within themselves and ask for special recognition for their morally disordered attractions and temptations.  It also violates humility for us to parade around those tendencies in ourselves, seeking sympathy, approval, and honors for them.)  The latter responds to the anticipated and often touted exception that crosses sanctify.  They sanctify us when we accept them in silence, as opposed to publicly.  And that's straight out of the mouth of our Savior.