Where WOULD You Attend Mass?

Started by Mithrandylan, December 29, 2012, 07:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia3

Quote from: Elizabeth on November 28, 2018, 11:14:35 PM
Lack of accountability and obedience to an active Superior has been a horrible problem in Trad circles for decades.   :pray3:

Good thing all the independent priests I know are some of the most obedient religious I know as well ;)

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Counter Revolutionary

Many independent chapels in this country receive support from SSPX or Resistance bishops when it comes to confirmations and other things requiring a bishop's assistance. The majority of independent chapels that I am familiar with have two or more full time priests laboring at the same chapel and living in the same rectory. Furthermore, quite a few independent chapels I can think of are run by boards consisting both of priests and laypersons as members. Checks and balances exist...Independent priests confess their sins to other priests every week and receive spiritual counsel just as any other priest might. "Independent" in these cases does not mean completely isolated; it merely means that they are laboring independent of the local bishop who disapproves of their orthodoxy and militancy. There are many independent chapels that I avoid entirely for various reasons, but to condemn them all wholesale for the mere fact that the priests don't answer to the local modernist bishop is ridiculous.

Solange Hertz in her book Beyond Politics pointed out that in two of the greatest trials of all time, the trial of the angels and the trial of the Jews who lived during the time of Our Lord's Passion, passing required independence from the highest authorities (excepting God). Hertz quotes Scripture and the Fathers to show that it is very likely that Lucifer held a position of authority above the other angels analogous to that of the pope's authority over Catholics. For an angel to be in "good standing" with Lucifer during the time of the trial resulted in failure for that angel and eternal hellfire. When it comes to the trial of the Jews who lived during Our Lord's hour, Caiaphas, a heretical Sadducee, was truly the high priest, recognized as such by Our Lord. To be in good standing with Caiaphas during the Passion was to be disloyal to Jesus Christ.
"Invincible ignorance is a punishment for sin." - St. Thomas Aquinas (De Infid. q. x., art. 1.)

Gardener

Which basically makes authority a self-licking ice cream cone, and superfluous, necessitating and even encouraging a Protestant ecclesiology. I don't buy it.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Elizabeth

Quote from: Carleendiane on November 27, 2018, 07:38:15 PM
You may be right, but your ordinary independent priest has no one over him, which may be why he is dubbed an independent priest. Or am I missing something? I really am not certain.

Thank you 3k for the link. Still feel a bit fuzzy on it. The only ones I know, referred to as independent, have no superior. So I may be jaded on this.
Independent is a major problem, and they all know it. 

Elizabeth

Quote from: Elizabeth on November 30, 2018, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: Carleendiane on November 27, 2018, 07:38:15 PM
You may be right, but your ordinary independent priest has no one over him, which may be why he is dubbed an independent priest. Or am I missing something? I really am not certain.

Thank you 3k for the link. Still feel a bit fuzzy on it. The only ones I know, referred to as independent, have no superior. So I may be jaded on this.
Independent is a major problem, and they all know it.
Which is why they don't dare offer the Rite of Exorcism, BTW.

Sophia3

Quote from: Elizabeth on November 30, 2018, 10:43:48 AM
Quote from: Counter Revolutionary on November 29, 2018, 07:15:40 PM

Solange Hertz

A genius IMO.  R.I.P.
In a related side note:
I have a relative who wrote to Solange many many years ago to ask her what she thought about attending mass at Servants of The Holy Family (they were at an abuse filled mass in the diocese at the time) and she responded all favorably. I read the letter myself. An independent chapel by-the-way.

Patriarch

Quote from: Acolyte on November 20, 2018, 09:06:33 PM
Well, I have an Independent chapel a mile from home and an SSPX chapel less than 2 miles away. Diocesan TLM 6-7 miles or so.
I'd walk or bike to the Indy or SSPX chapel myself. :-) I'd do that over the 6-7 miles to the Diocesan TLM.

QuoteEdit to add: I'm about a 40-45 minute drive from OLMC in Boston, Ky but haven't been there.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Acolyte

Quote from: Patriarch on December 10, 2018, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: Acolyte on November 20, 2018, 09:06:33 PM
Well, I have an Independent chapel a mile from home and an SSPX chapel less than 2 miles away. Diocesan TLM 6-7 miles or so.
I'd walk or bike to the Indy or SSPX chapel myself. :-) I'd do that over the 6-7 miles to the Diocesan TLM.

QuoteEdit to add: I'm about a 40-45 minute drive from OLMC in Boston, Ky but haven't been there.

The Indy chapel priest is one of the most humble priests I've ever met. His sermons are awesome. Chock-full of Doctrine and he presents it without moaning about the NO and VII. Solid catechesis is what you walk away with after one of his sermons.

I have mixed feelings about the pastor at my diocesan parish. Decent sermons and flawless praying of the TLM. He considers himself an ultramontanist. I'm not sure what to think of that.

The other priest there doesn't pray the TLM but his sermons are solid. Some of the weekday Mass regulars have complained about the length of his sermons during the noon Mass, but attendance has actually grown a bit since he arrived. I love his sermons. They are orthodox.

The SSPX chapel has a different priest than the one that was there when I was going there, so I can't say how it is now.

The priest that was there at the time I was going there was fine.

My diocesan parish just works for me. A diamond in the rough. They even roll the NO altar out of the way for the TLM.

It's a special place that just builds my faith stronger every time I'm there.

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2012/09/re-internment-of-two-third-century.html?m=1#.XA9YE8lOk0M
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Claves Regni

Xavier

Imagine if Tradition was united with dozens of Bishops, thousands of Priests, millions of faithful around the world all working together for Restoration. We'd definitely have it quickly.

That's what we need, though it seems impossible. Priests should try not to be independent but dependent on Bishops. The nature of sacerdotal orders itself demands it. And the way jurisdiction is usually conferred confirms it.

If someone is unjustly expelled by his Bishop, as happened in the first days and still sometimes happens today, the best thing would be to join a traditional order of Priests (I'd always recommend SSPX) as quickly as reasonably possible, and carry on.

The end goal should always be Restoration in Rome through a traditional Pope. We shouldn't lose sight of that and should work collectively for it.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Sophia3

Quote from: Xavier on December 12, 2018, 12:34:27 AM
Imagine if Tradition was united with dozens of Bishops, thousands of Priests, millions of faithful around the world all working together for Restoration. We'd definitely have it quickly.

That's what we need, though it seems impossible. Priests should try not to be independent but dependent on Bishops. The nature of sacerdotal orders itself demands it. And the way jurisdiction is usually conferred confirms it.

If someone is unjustly expelled by his Bishop, as happened in the first days and still sometimes happens today, the best thing would be to join a traditional order of Priests (I'd always recommend SSPX) as quickly as reasonably possible, and carry on.

The end goal should always be Restoration in Rome through a traditional Pope. We shouldn't lose sight of that and should work collectively for it.

Yes, this is the way it should be, but not if you have to compromise the Faith to do it.

Patriarch

Update:

A revision to my Holy Mass attendance with respect to where I presently attend; my former misapprehension regarding the Holy See having been ameliorated:

1. FSSP
2. ICKSP
3. Maronite (orthodox Catholic; preferably Ad Orientem).
4. Diocesan TLM.
5. Oratorian Ad Orientem Mass.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Gardener

Quote from: Patriarch on February 13, 2019, 05:04:41 PM
Update:

A revision to my Holy Mass attendance with respect to where I presently attend; my former misapprehension regarding the Holy See having been ameliorated:

1. FSSP
2. ICKSP
3. Maronite (orthodox Catholic; preferably Ad Orientem).
4. Diocesan TLM.
5. Oratorian Ad Orientem Mass.

Why no SSPX?