1-minute "worship service"

Started by OzarkCatholic, January 13, 2014, 10:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzarkCatholic

Saw this on Digg... It was posted with a caption saying, "now THAT is how you get people back into the church!"

:facepalm:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqVPt8zzWQ[/yt]
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

Basilios

Lutheran?

But he'd make such a great Catholic Novus Ordo Priest. Not fair. The Proddies get all the fun  :(
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Bonaventure

What a joke. The set up is almost identical to the NO.

Back in the 70s and 80s, the church that should be my parish had an old Irish priest who liked to drink a lot. He used to announce 49er scores from the pulpit.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

OzarkCatholic

That's the point. We have devolved ourselves into enough of a joke, that any seriousness is seen as banal idiocy. Hence the only 'hip' and 'cool' worships places are entertainment houses, ironic self-deprecating groups, or a mixture of the two (like seen here). The majority of folks see that as religion's place. As a farcical social club.

We cannot combat that with the NO... only with the TLM.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

Roland Deschain

I would have a big problem with this if:

A) This was a Catholic Mass

or

B) The pastor was a Seahawk fan
'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Kaesekopf

Was this Pope Francis?  Much humility.  Such down-to-earth.  Wow.

But as Basilios said, he'd make a great NOer.  He even has the vestments!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Archer

I never saw anything quite that bad in the NO.  But I saw a lot that came close.  That just brought back a flood of memories.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Bernadette

Quote from: Roland Deschain on January 13, 2014, 01:29:37 PM
I would have a big problem with this if:

A) This was a Catholic Mass

This. At this point, I don't have any energy left to get upset over what Protestants do. I'm usually spending that energy getting upset when my priest does (most of) the same things.  :huh:
My Lord and my God.

Basilios

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 13, 2014, 12:47:16 PM
What a joke. The set up is almost identical to the NO.

Back in the 70s and 80s, the church that should be my parish had an old Irish priest who liked to drink a lot. He used to announce 49er scores from the pulpit.

HA. Reminds me of my parish in South Africa.

After every rugby game on Saturday he would stroll into Mass (I don't say that flippantly, his gait walking into the sanctuary can only be described as a stroll it was so informal) and the first thing he would say after the big smiley symbolic-at-this-point Sign of the Cross was: "BOKKE!"

The SA team are the Springboks, or Bokke for short. He would say that, smile some more, raise his fist and usually, I kid you not, say in a joking manner that we offer the celebration to thank God for the team.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Greg

This is what puts me off popular professional sports.  That utter w4nkers like this are so very obsessed with them.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Sockpuppet

Modernism...or awesome?

Bonaventure

Quote from: Sockpuppet on January 14, 2014, 08:56:48 AM

Modernism...or awesome?

He recently died. I served a funeral for him as a kid. Mean, with a St. Bernard.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."