[Announcement] Bans and their length, a new system

Started by Kaesekopf, December 23, 2013, 10:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Forum,
I wish you a merry end to Advent, and hope that your preparations have been good.

This post is an announcement to explain the new banning system, being implemented effective December 26th.

1st offense - Warning
2nd offense - 1 day ban
3rd offense - Warning
4th offense - 3 day ban
5th offense - 14 day Ban
6th offense - Perma-ban

After two months, your "ban level" will decrease by one.  For example, let us say you committed three offenses over the course of a month.  That would put you at a warning, leading to a 3 day ban.  If you have good behavior for two months after that, you will go back down, and your next offense will result in a 1 day ban.

As a courtesy, we will begin with all members at this new system, so whatever offenses you may have committed will not be included in this.

If you have any questions, post or PM here.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Jayne

When you announce a ban, will you give the calculation of how the length was determined or will you simply say the length?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Jayne on December 23, 2013, 11:09:37 PM
When you announce a ban, will you give the calculation of how the length was determined or will you simply say the length?

Length.  I'm wondering, though, what you mean by calculation?

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jayne

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 23, 2013, 11:12:45 PM

Saying something like "X has been banned for 3 days since he committed 3 offenses over two months ago so he went down a level but then he did it again twice in the past week."

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Jayne on December 23, 2013, 11:17:50 PM

Saying something like "X has been banned for 3 days since he committed 3 offenses over two months ago so he went down a level but then he did it again twice in the past week."

Oh good Lord no.  :lol:  The method for announcing bans will remain constant, "Jayne has been banned for one week for being nice."

You will be able to figure from there, if you're that interested, why so and so was banned for such a time.

RobertJS

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 23, 2013, 10:06:22 PM
Forum,
I wish you a merry end to Advent, and hope that your preparations have been good.

This post is an announcement to explain the new banning system, being implemented effective December 26th.

1st offense - Warning
2nd offense - 1 day ban
3rd offense - Warning
4th offense - 3 day ban
5th offense - 14 day Ban
6th offense - Perma-ban

After two months, your "ban level" will decrease by one.  For example, let us say you committed three offenses over the course of a month.  That would put you at a warning, leading to a 3 day ban.  If you have good behavior for two months after that, you will go back down, and your next offense will result in a 1 day ban.

As a courtesy, we will begin with all members at this new system, so whatever offenses you may have committed will not be included in this.

When giving a warning, shouldn't the mods, from the very first warning, cite the forum rule(s) explicitly broken?

I am also thinking, if the second warning is not a repeat of the first type of offense, should not that be considered a first warning for that particular type of offense? 

This actually reflects how the Church has functioned in giving admonitions.

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

Heinrich

Why are you using the masculine pronoun "he"?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

per_passionem_eius

Quote from: Heinrich on December 24, 2013, 03:09:27 PM

Yeah, it should be 'they'.  :)

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

RobertJS

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on December 24, 2013, 05:31:15 PM

Using the singular "he" is grammatically correct. The use of "they" picked up steam when the feminist movement picked up steam.

per_passionem_eius

Quote from: RobertJS on December 24, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Using the singular "he" is grammatically correct. The use of "they" picked up steam when the feminist movement picked up steam.

I thought Heinrich's question had an insidious connotation to it (i.e. that no females would ever be banned from SD) so before another fight broke out I tried to throw him off track by pulling his leg.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

Heinrich

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on December 24, 2013, 06:30:59 PM
Quote from: RobertJS on December 24, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

While "insidious" is a bit of a stretch, I wasnt really attempting start a war. I can understand why Jayne used "he": all the bans here, sans that saucy whore troll from TTA, have been of men. Mostly of, well, yeah, dudes.

I thought Heinrich's question had an insidious connotation to it (i.e. that no females would ever be banned from SD) so before another fight broke out I tried to throw him off track by pulling his leg.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jayne

It is grammatically correct (or at least it was traditionally) to use "he" in cases of unspecified sex.  Also, it is statistically more likely for a person being banned from SD to be male.

voxxpopulisuxx

Lol thats cause you ladys are always complaining about us begind our backs :P
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: RobertJS on December 24, 2013, 07:23:29 AM
Forum,

1st offense - Warning
2nd offense - 1 day ban
3rd offense - Warning
4th offense - 3 day ban
5th offense - 14 day Ban
6th offense - Perma-ban

When giving a warning, shouldn't the mods, from the very first warning, cite the forum rule(s) explicitly broken?

I am also thinking, if the second warning is not a repeat of the first type of offense, should not that be considered a first warning for that particular type of offense? 

I agree with this sentiment.

I also think, however, that the admin and mods should reserve the right to permaban someone sooner if it is obvious that they joined only to troll or spam the forum in someway.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

RobertJS

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on December 25, 2013, 03:32:52 AM
Quote from: RobertJS on December 24, 2013, 07:23:29 AM
Forum,

1st offense - Warning
2nd offense - 1 day ban
3rd offense - Warning
4th offense - 3 day ban
5th offense - 14 day Ban
6th offense - Perma-ban

I agree with this sentiment.

I also think, however, that the admin and mods should reserve the right to permaban someone sooner if it is obvious that they joined only to troll or spam the forum in someway.

I have gathered over time that people often drink while they type on forums. This doesn't help any. Such can appear to be trolls when they are just not thinking so straight while trying to have fun. In such cases they often deserve extra warnings before a permaban.