Long distance flying with 1 year old

Started by Perpetua, May 12, 2017, 05:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubilateDeo

I took a 9 hour flight when my daughter was 1.5 years old.  It wasn't the most fun 9 hours of my life, but it was well worth it.  We normally didn't let her watch TV at such a young age, but it was pretty captivating and she did enjoy watching some little videos.  We packed her lots and lots and lots of snacks.  Cheerios and lollipops kept her busy for awhile.  And starting out tired is another good idea.

Is your baby going to be riding on your lap or are you going to get an extra seat?

Perpetua

Quote from: JubilateDeo on May 16, 2017, 04:25:37 PM
Is your baby going to be riding on your lap or are you going to get an extra seat?

On my lap.. We couldn't afford an extra seat.

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Perpetua on May 12, 2017, 05:25:38 PM
Do you have any advice on how to handle flying for 15/17 hours (2 stops) over the Atlantic with a one year old baby who is very active? Our baby won't sit still for more than a minute at a time and doesn't like to be confined.

Gin

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Perpetua on May 17, 2017, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: JubilateDeo on May 16, 2017, 04:25:37 PM

On my lap.. We couldn't afford an extra seat.

Oh wow -- I don't envy you that.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Elizabeth

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 16, 2017, 03:30:22 PM
If you're going to do the Benadryl trick, try it at home first to make sure they don't react poorly -- it makes some kids MORE hyper.  ...... 

RIGHT excellent advice!

--found out the hard way

But it works well if the reaction is sleepy!

Elizabeth

P.S.

Hope your visit home is the best ever, Perpetua.

Perpetua

What helped on the way back was to walk around with her in a baby carrier. It took 15 min of screaming until she fell asleep at around her bedtime. Getting an empty seat between us helped a lot too, that's where she played, ate and napped.