Anyone going to the IHM conference this week?

Started by verenaerin, June 17, 2014, 04:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verenaerin

Ugh, I hate English. I'd rather cut someone open and assist in surgery then diagram or figure out types of verbs and who knows what else I have suppressed from school.

Chestertonian

Quote from: verenaerin on June 18, 2014, 10:00:31 AM
Ugh, I hate English. I'd rather cut someone open and assist in surgery then diagram or figure out types of verbs and who knows what else I have suppressed from school.
then how else will your children know how to write and speak good?  ;D

Also, if someone can't diagram a sentence, then I don't want them cutting me open.

I remember 4 1/2 years ago, I went home from the hospital with a tracheotomy.  I had a home care nurse and I saw that she had written "suctioned trake at 2pm" if you can't spell it, I don't want someone touching it
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

verenaerin

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 18, 2014, 11:43:38 AM

Also, if someone can't diagram a sentence, then I don't want them cutting me open.

I remember 4 1/2 years ago, I went home from the hospital with a tracheotomy.  I had a home care nurse and I saw that she had written "suctioned trake at 2pm" if you can't spell it, I don't want someone touching it

As horrible a speller I am, for some reason I can spell medical things well. Probably because most are based in Latin.

I don't see how surgery and diagrams are related. Unless you see diagrams as basic and if you can't do basics you shouldn't be operating. IDK, English is not my strong point. I am good at keeping people alive, and can chart to keep me out of court, but ask me to write a book report or something else englishy- forget it. I'd rather do chest compressions.

Chestertonian

Quote from: verenaerin on June 18, 2014, 11:58:22 AM

As horrible a speller I am, for some reason I can spell medical things well. Probably because most are based in Latin.

I don't see how surgery and diagrams are related. Unless you see diagrams as basic and if you can't do basics you shouldn't be operating. IDK, English is not my strong point. I am good at keeping people alive, and can chart to keep me out of court, but ask me to write a book report or something else englishy- forget it. I'd rather do chest compressions.

yes, diagramming sentences is a pretty basic thing.... usually it's done in middle school so as a high school English teacher I didn't have to spend much time on it, thank goodness.  It is a rather tedious way of teaching grammar and if child reads frequently, they'll absorb good grammar naturally in many cases.  Even still, it's good to understand WHY a sentence ought to be structured a certain way. 

Book reports are also a middle school thing.  We didn't do much of that when I was teaching high school.... it was  mostly essays, critical analyses, research papers and "interdisciplinary studies"

Although where I am, I think I'd settle for a nurse that isn't going to screw up my veins any more than they are already.  this morning I woke up to a nurse sticking me 4 times in the arm trying to get blood from it, not seeing that I have a port. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

verenaerin

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 18, 2014, 12:10:33 PM

yes, diagramming sentences is a pretty basic thing.... usually it's done in middle school so as a high school English teacher I didn't have to spend much time on it, thank goodness.  It is a rather tedious way of teaching grammar and if child reads frequently, they'll absorb good grammar naturally in many cases.  Even still, it's good to understand WHY a sentence ought to be structured a certain way. 

Book reports are also a middle school thing.  We didn't do much of that when I was teaching high school.... it was  mostly essays, critical analyses, research papers and "interdisciplinary studies"

Although where I am, I think I'd settle for a nurse that isn't going to screw up my veins any more than they are already. this morning I woke up to a nurse sticking me 4 times in the arm trying to get blood from it, not seeing that I have a port.

Ugh! That sucks. My port never worked right but when it did, I was a stickler for them to use it.

Chestertonian

Quote from: verenaerin on June 18, 2014, 12:15:02 PM

Although where I am, I think I'd settle for a nurse that isn't going to screw up my veins any more than they are already. this morning I woke up to a nurse sticking me 4 times in the arm trying to get blood from it, not seeing that I have a port.

Ugh! That sucks. My port never worked right but when it did, I was a stickler for them to use it.
i don't think i've had issues with mine, been there for 6 years.  i have a fistula in my arm for dialysis and that's the one they were sticking.  SERENITY NOW.

verenaerin

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 18, 2014, 12:16:22 PM

i don't think i've had issues with mine, been there for 6 years.  i have a fistula in my arm for dialysis and that's the one they were sticking.  SERENITY NOW.

They were new-ish when I got mine. The center part that they put the needle through never got soft. It was as hard as a rock. The amount of pressure needed to access it was excruciating. I hated that thing.

Lydia Purpuraria

Ahh - when I was delivering one of my boys the nurse was trying to put an IV in.  Now, let me just tell you I have very veiny arms and have never had a problem with finding a good vein, yet this nurse chose to put it in right around where my hand and wrist meet on the side of my thumb and she kept hitting my bone.  I finally had to say that I thought maybe she had chosen a bad spot and she could try where every other nurse has, on the enormous vein on my forearm.  (You know, just a suggestion?! :shrug:)

I don't think she liked me.

Heinrich

Diagramming helps with reading comprehension, too.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

verenaerin

Quote from: Heinrich on June 18, 2014, 12:29:04 PM
Diagramming helps with reading comprehension, too.

I was an avid reader. I was sick and home all the time, so my escape was reading, reading, reading. That must have made up for not diagramming so well. I know we did that in 8th grade, but never in HS.

Chestertonian

Quote from: verenaerin on June 18, 2014, 12:22:52 PM

They were new-ish when I got mine. The center part that they put the needle through never got soft. It was as hard as a rock. The amount of pressure needed to access it was excruciating. I hated that thing.
old school medical technlogy lol.  i'm not a fan off it but it ws better than the alternative for me.  igot it after a central line got infected and my veins are in bad shape.  i still have the same fistula for dialysis I got when I was 17 though.... don't want anyone messing that up.  apparently it's this nurse's first day and she told me she didn't sleep well the night before.  my wife is not happy

verenaerin

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 18, 2014, 12:33:12 PM
Quote from: verenaerin on June 18, 2014, 12:22:52 PM

old school medical technlogy lol.  i'm not a fan off it but it ws better than the alternative for me.  igot it after a central line got infected and my veins are in bad shape.  i still have the same fistula for dialysis I got when I was 17 though.... don't want anyone messing that up.  apparently it's this nurse's first day and she told me she didn't sleep well the night before

Wow, congrats to that doc. That is impressive. I would guard that thing like treasure to a pirate! First day? Doesn't mean she was new. But telling patients you didn't sleep well the night before- not good.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: verenaerin on June 17, 2014, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on June 17, 2014, 08:11:51 PM

Also, I think that just starting out with homeschooling - assuming it isn't a financial burden for you to actually get there -  it is definitely beneficial to be able to physically look through different programs/curricula/texts, ask the people questions and so on.  Sometimes the things you thought you were all set on to use don't carry the same effect in person so it is nice to know that before you have spent money.

This is a big one for me. I have an idea of what program I am going to use, but I am going to look at a couple others just in case. And you are right, sometimes you need to physically see the books and see if it works with you. There are great programs out there, but we are all different types of people. Even though I understand the concept of a classical type education, I am not sure it would be a good fit for me as a teacher. I think that a traditional school structure would work because that is what I know. I didn't go to college, I went to a trade school after HS- nursing, and that's it. Others who went to Christendom or like colleges might be more at home and familiar with the classical approach. But I am still going to look at it.

I looked through the list of vendors, but nothing really stood out to me. I am not interested in anything too NO. While I want things that are age appropriate, I don't want them too cutesy, huggie- kissie, or dumbed down. There are some things that I know would help my children in particular subjects they struggle in, so I will be on a look out for that.

Who doesn't like spending money on their kids. It is something I have to restrain myself in and be very strict about, or I could go crazy! Especially when it is all in the spirit of "education". So the only strategy I have come up with is to go through the vendors once without buying anything. Write down anything good I see and where it is, and then go over the list to see what looks good. Sometimes you get tunnel vision and get more then one of the same type of thing, or more for one kid and not enough for another. That being said, I am bringing a rolling suitcase with me- no joke. Apparently lots of mothers do this. Who wants to lug around 20# of books?

I agree and relate to everything you said.  I also have always wanted to go more of the Classical route, but have no real first-hand experience with it so it definitely makes it more difficult to implement and stick to for me.  I also try to avoid stuff that is too NO.

I believe that Our Lady of Victory is a Traditional Catholic Homeschooling program.  I also have always been interested in the RC History.  I like that you can do the main lesson with all the children and then it branches out into different age/grade appropriate lessons.  It is expensive though with all of the book lists, so I have been wanting to find someone who has used it to get a real review of how it actually works and if it is worth it and really any easier.

Aside from the vendors there, have you checked out the Ambleside Online site http://www.amblesideonline.org/?  It is a Charlotte Mason site that gives free curriculum and book lists.  A Catholic version I recently found is Mater Amabilis http://materamabilis.org/ma/.

I am not sure yet if I am totally gung-ho for the CM method, but I think I'm going to give it a whirl this year.  I am feeling a bit burnt out lately and think I may need to change things up a bit and follow (at least most of) someone else's plan for a year, so I was very happy to find this.

One warning I will give you is about Teaching Textbooks for Math (and you may not be looking at them so disregard if not applicable); I was going to go with this last year for my older children thinking it would free up time for me.  Then right before I bought it I came across a whole Catholic mom blog with mothers saying their children had actually fallen behind while using it (even though they were scoring perfectly on the TT quizzes and tests).  I guess it is actually working at least a year to a couple of years behind say, Saxon, so you think you are working at a 4th grade level, but really it is more like 2nd or 3rd grade level.  Maybe others have not experienced this, but thought I would let you know what others warned about.

Hmm, apparently we have an apple juice emergency, so I will get back to this when able!

Lydia Purpuraria

Chestertonian,

In reference to you wondering about HS'ing your son.  You don't actually have to notify for homeschooling until the child is 6.  So that buys you some time to figure out exactly what you want/are able to do for his schooling. 

Chestertonian

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on June 18, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
Chestertonian,

In reference to you wondering about HS'ing your son.  You don't actually have to notify for homeschooling until the child is 6.  So that buys you some time to figure out exactly what you want/are able to do for his schooling. 

yeah... I want to figure out a routinenow...w......I have no idea what anything will look life when he is 6

I wish he had other Catholic kids to play with otherwi my wife wouldn't hold the "socialization" thing over my head.