Anyone going to the IHM conference this week?

Started by verenaerin, June 17, 2014, 04:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verenaerin

Hmmm?

Or have any of you been before? I would be interested in your observations.

Lydia Purpuraria

I have been to the IHM Conference in Dayton. It was very small as far as vendors go, but the speakers were excellent and free admission was a plus.

If you are interested in using Seton as a main part of your curriculum, I say you will be very happy you go as you can pick up a lot of it onsite (avoiding shipping charges) and some things are discounted.  Or maybe all of it bought at the conference is discounted? (it's been a few years so my memory is rusty)

However, if you are hoping to have a wide variety of curriculum providers to compare - you won't find it there.  Although perhaps you have more vendors at your local conference?

Also, at the Dayton conference, on Saturday morning they have a used curriculum sale where there are definitely some great finds on various books (etc) at dirt cheap prices.

verenaerin

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on June 17, 2014, 05:29:36 PM
I have been to the IHM Conference in Dayton. It was very small as far as vendors go, but the speakers were excellent and free admission was a plus.

If you are interested in using Seton as a main part of your curriculum, I say you will be very happy you go as you can pick up a lot of it onsite (avoiding shipping charges) and some things are discounted.  Or maybe all of it bought at the conference is discounted? (it's been a few years so my memory is rusty)

However, if you are hoping to have a wide variety of curriculum providers to compare - you won't find it there.  Although perhaps you have more vendors at your local conference?

Also, at the Dayton conference, on Saturday morning they have a used curriculum sale where there are definitely some great finds on various books (etc) at dirt cheap prices.

The one going on this week is the National Conference. It's the biggest in the country with just about every vendor present that there is (or at least that is what they say). I think close to 2ooo people go. They changed the location this year to a better place, so there may be even more.

From what I read, if you order books or things from the vendors there, they send it to you with free shipping as an incentive. Though I am sure not everybody does this. I also heard that at the end of the conference, you can get a lot of discounted things that vendors are just trying to get rid of.

Did you find the whole experience motivating? or just something nice to do? or do you think it is really important to go, if you can?

Chestertonian

What us this conference

Seems most homeschooling conferences are in the middle of nowhere....
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

verenaerin

http://www.ihmconference.org/national/

It used to be in DC, now they have moved it to Fredericksburg. There will be 2 days of speakers and tons of vendors.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: verenaerin on June 17, 2014, 05:38:00 PM
The one going on this week is the National Conference. It's the biggest in the country with just about every vendor present that there is (or at least that is what they say). I think close to 2ooo people go. They changed the location this year to a better place, so there may be even more.

From what I read, if you order books or things from the vendors there, they send it to you with free shipping as an incentive. Though I am sure not everybody does this. I also heard that at the end of the conference, you can get a lot of discounted things that vendors are just trying to get rid of.

Did you find the whole experience motivating? or just something nice to do? or do you think it is really important to go, if you can?

Yeah- I just looked over the site at the main conference you are referring to and it definitely has a lot of vendors that would make it worth your while.

Is this conference going to be far away for you? cost you a lot of money for gas? hotel? 

I think that it could be motivating - the speakers are usually very good.  I see that Fr. Collins and Fr. Kopczynski will be there and they are great speakers.  Also, because this looks to be a huge conference I think just seeing how many people are right there with you on the homeschool journey is pretty inspiring and encouraging.  (The one I went to in Dayton was not particularly inspiring in this respect; however I have been to another enormous conference in Cincinnati - unfortunately almost entirely Protestant vendors - but just to see the huge number of people that are doing this in their homes with their children is pretty awesome)

Also, I think that just starting out with homeschooling - assuming it isn't a financial burden for you to actually get there -  it is definitely beneficial to be able to physically look through different programs/curricula/texts, ask the people questions and so on.  Sometimes the things you thought you were all set on to use don't carry the same effect in person so it is nice to know that before you have spent money.

As long as it isn't particularly far from you or a financial burden to go, I think you could really benefit by going to this one; although in time you may find you just aren't drawn to go every year.  I would definitely have your list of vendors that you want to check out very firmly planted in your mind as well as a budget because it is very easy to get off track and start wasting time and money on things that are really not what you need.  Also, some of the curricula have whole book lists and things to buy that you may find cheaper on Amazon used, etc.  So just be aware of that (although I bet you have already thoroughly researched a lot of these angles --- that seems your style 8)).

Hopefully I have somewhat addressed the crux of your questions.  However, I'm a little out of sorts today (it took me forever to decide if I should use effect or affect - something I generally have no issue with - and I'm still not confident in my choice  :P) so I may have totally answered in left field. lol.

Penelope

verenaerin

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on June 17, 2014, 08:11:51 PM

Also, I think that just starting out with homeschooling - assuming it isn't a financial burden for you to actually get there -  it is definitely beneficial to be able to physically look through different programs/curricula/texts, ask the people questions and so on.  Sometimes the things you thought you were all set on to use don't carry the same effect in person so it is nice to know that before you have spent money.

This is a big one for me. I have an idea of what program I am going to use, but I am going to look at a couple others just in case. And you are right, sometimes you need to physically see the books and see if it works with you. There are great programs out there, but we are all different types of people. Even though I understand the concept of a classical type education, I am not sure it would be a good fit for me as a teacher. I think that a traditional school structure would work because that is what I know. I didn't go to college, I went to a trade school after HS- nursing, and that's it. Others who went to Christendom or like colleges might be more at home and familiar with the classical approach. But I am still going to look at it.

I looked through the list of vendors, but nothing really stood out to me. I am not interested in anything too NO. While I want things that are age appropriate, I don't want them too cutesy, huggie- kissie, or dumbed down. There are some things that I know would help my children in particular subjects they struggle in, so I will be on a look out for that.

Who doesn't like spending money on their kids. It is something I have to restrain myself in and be very strict about, or I could go crazy! Especially when it is all in the spirit of "education". So the only strategy I have come up with is to go through the vendors once without buying anything. Write down anything good I see and where it is, and then go over the list to see what looks good. Sometimes you get tunnel vision and get more then one of the same type of thing, or more for one kid and not enough for another. That being said, I am bringing a rolling suitcase with me- no joke. Apparently lots of mothers do this. Who wants to lug around 20# of books?

verenaerin

Quote from: Penelope on June 17, 2014, 08:24:11 PM
'Effect' was the correct choice.  ;)

I honestly never know, so I always choose "effect" because someone once wrote here that the misuse of "affect" was a pet peeve of theirs.

Penelope

Quote from: verenaerin on June 17, 2014, 08:28:37 PM

I honestly never know, so I always choose "effect" because someone once wrote here that the misuse of "affect" was a pet peeve of theirs.

Except for certain rare circumstances, 'effect' is the noun and 'affect' is the verb: "The effect of avoiding confession is disastrous for your soul; however, actually going to confession affects your spiritual life in remarkably positive ways."

Follow this rule and 95% of the time, you'll be right.

zork

Quote from: Penelope on June 17, 2014, 09:26:49 PM

Except for certain rare circumstances, 'effect' is the noun and 'affect' is the verb: "The effect of avoiding confession is disastrous for your soul; however, actually going to confession affects your spiritual life in remarkably positive ways."

For example, when a sentence might go something like "in order to effect change, one must..."
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Penelope

Quote from: zork on June 17, 2014, 09:28:37 PM
Quote from: Penelope on June 17, 2014, 09:26:49 PM

For example, when a sentence might go something like "in order to effect change, one must..."

'Affect' can also be used as a verb, but I can't think of an example right now.

But I try not to mention these uses of the words to people because the words are so seldom used in these ways.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Penelope on June 17, 2014, 09:33:24 PM

But I try not to mention these uses of the words to people because the words are so seldom used in these ways.

affect is an intransitive verb meaning "to produce an effect."  So you could say, "Grammatical errors affect my mood in a negative way."  vs "Grammatical errors have a bad effect on me." 

I wish I could go to the conference.  I am still trying to figure out if I can homeschool next year and how that would look.  We either have to find a new school for my son or homeschool since his school cut their full time nurse to part time and I don't feel comfortable sending him to a place that doesn't have a full time school nurse. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

verenaerin

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 17, 2014, 11:00:37 PM
Quote from: Penelope on June 17, 2014, 09:33:24 PM

affect is an intransitive verb meaning "to produce an effect."  So you could say, "Grammatical errors affect my mood in a negative way."  vs "Grammatical errors have a bad effect on me." 

I wish I could go to the conference.  I am still trying to figure out if I can homeschool next year and how that would look.  We either have to find a new school for my son or homeschool since his school cut their full time nurse to part time and I don't feel comfortable sending him to a place that doesn't have a full time school nurse.

Is a tutor an option. You would only need her 3 days a week for Kindergarten.

Penelope

Oops. I meant to say that affect can also be used as a noun. It's almost always used as a verb, though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk