Arrested Development Season 4

Started by piabee, May 26, 2013, 12:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piabee

Quote from: Spooky on May 27, 2013, 10:10:32 PM
So, was it any good? Live up to expectations? Disappointing?

I still have about five episodes left. It is not as immediately funny as the previous seasons but the overall scenarios that build as the episodes progress are hilariously ridiculous. The format is pretty different from anything that's been done on tv before. It is incredibly complex and ambitious but they pulled it off. The more you watch the more you want to keep watching. At first I was disappointed that the characters weren't interacting because watching them play off each other is the best part of the show, but if you're patient they start crossing paths again.

Quote from: Heinrich on May 28, 2013, 06:19:36 AMAD is not produced by him so the point is moot. I am not trying to derail your thread. And if you are so emotionally attached to a television show to get testy in an Internet forum, maybe you need to readjust your priorities.

A simply Google search would have sufficed. Who's testy? My reaction to the video you chose to post was completely justified.

piabee

One thing that did not work for me: the license plate joke. License plates in California have seven digits, not eight. It was forced.

LouisIX

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 28, 2013, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Featherbottom on May 28, 2013, 10:39:08 AM
Quote from: Archer on May 28, 2013, 08:17:04 AM
I read some of the plot on wikipedia and it doesn't look like my type of show.

The plot isn't the point of Arrested Development.  I mean, the plot is sort of important, but what makes the show are all the characters.  It's a hard thing to explain.  It might not be your kind of show, but I wouldn't base that on the plot description. 

Also, for anyone who decides to watch the show, I generally recommend sticking it out through at least half of the first season.  It takes a while for some people to "get into it".  Like I said, the show is about the characters, and you really need to get to know the characters for it to become funny.  And also, the show refers back to itself A LOT.  It has a ton of reccuring jokes and foreshadowing and all that, and it takes several episodes to start setting that up.
it is a comedy of errors highlighting the idiocy..corruption and foibles of the American Upper Class...it is very well written and very funny. Shakespearean at times

That's a good way to put it.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

columba

Quote from: LouisIX on May 28, 2013, 02:30:37 PM

The plot isn't the point of Arrested Development.  I mean, the plot is sort of important, but what makes the show are all the characters.  It's a hard thing to explain.  It might not be your kind of show, but I wouldn't base that on the plot description. 

Also, for anyone who decides to watch the show, I generally recommend sticking it out through at least half of the first season.  It takes a while for some people to "get into it".  Like I said, the show is about the characters, and you really need to get to know the characters for it to become funny.  And also, the show refers back to itself A LOT.  It has a ton of reccuring jokes and foreshadowing and all that, and it takes several episodes to start setting that up.
it is a comedy of errors highlighting the idiocy..corruption and foibles of the American Upper Class...it is very well written and very funny. Shakespearean at times

Maybe.. But if it's not for Christ it's against him.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.
G. K. Chesterton

LouisIX

Quote from: columba on May 28, 2013, 03:13:27 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on May 28, 2013, 02:30:37 PM

Maybe.. But if it's not for Christ it's against him.

I don't really know what that means in the context of a television show.  Is I Love Lucy for Christ or against Him?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.