Charlie Chaplin / The Great Dictator

Started by HolyAina, April 08, 2013, 08:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolyAina

I just watched this speech.  Great acting, but clearly this was meant to impart a philosophy.  Though it quoted the Bible (Mark), it seemed solely focused on creating heaven on earth by man's sheer will.  Original Sin ... ignored.  In short, I was a bit disappointed.  Thoughts, comments, snide remarks?

EcceQuamBonum

Trite, tired old optimistic progressivism.  Give it five years from when the film was made (1940) to see how well that line plays out.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

In short, liberalism of all kinds has a unifying characteristic of denying original sin and the supernatural.

For a better classic film I'd recommend Metropolis. It's one of my favorite movies.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

tmw89

Quote from: Bonaventure on April 08, 2013, 10:20:50 PM
For a better classic film I'd recommend Metropolis. It's one of my favorite movies.

MUCH AGREED.

Metropolis... I have owned copies of this movie four times over:  once on the oooold Kino DVD, then on Kino's Blu-ray and the UK Blu-ray from Masters of Cinema... and finally, the Kino Blu-ray of Moroder's version.

Although he's yet to update it in light of the latest restoration, Elsaesser's essay is essential reading - have you checked it out yet?  Picked mine up at the NYFF back when they showed the restored print in 2010:  http://www.amazon.com/Metropolis-Film-Classics-Thomas-Elsaesser/dp/0851707777
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

EcceQuamBonum

In short, liberalism of all kinds has a unifying characteristic of denying original sin and the supernatural.

Anything Fritz Lang touched is amazing.  M is also a great film for getting a healthy dose of human fallenness.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on April 09, 2013, 08:56:21 AM

Anything Fritz Lang touched is amazing.  M is also a great film for getting a healthy dose of human fallenness.

IIRC correctly his mom was a devout Catholic, so it probably rubbed off on him.

I haven't seen M yet. So many great Catholic scenes in Metropolis, but I don't wanna spoil it. I think the entire film may be on Youtube.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Der Kaiser

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on April 08, 2013, 09:05:31 PM
Trite, tired old optimistic progressivism.  Give it five years from when the film was made (1940) to see how well that line plays out.

This: I liked his parodies of Hitler speeches though but not this commie speech.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X