The bible/ history channel show

Started by Der Kaiser, March 06, 2013, 08:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Der Kaiser

Anybody see this? it started last Sunday night.  I haven't watched as I am busy Sunday evenings, I was wondering if its any good. I heard that Rick Warren (I am ok you are ok Christianity) and Joel Osteen (Jesus wants you to be a billionaire, buy my book to find out how) were creative consultants on it so i am leery.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

MilesChristi

Never trust the History Channel with the Bible. They'll convince Judas was the hero, the Church is Hitler, the angels were Aliens,  the Bible Code says the world will end in -1 year, and that the Ark of the Covenant is in some pawn shop somewhere.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: MilesChristi on March 06, 2013, 08:47:10 PM
Never trust the History Channel with the Bible. They'll convince Judas was the hero, the Church is Hitler, the angels were Aliens,  the Bible Code says the world will end in -1 year, and that the Ark of the Covenant is in some pawn shop somewhere.

Yeah this is a TV drama not their usual documentaries but, like you said The History Channel is full of BS.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

voxxpopulisuxx

I saw a bit and piece of it which depicted Noah in the ark with his family while a stormed raged outside. It was pathetic and insulting...painting noah out to be an panicky off his rocker religious nut...while his family was tossed and turned during the storm in sheer terror. Typical BS thrusting 21 century moral attitudes and emotions onto the peoples of the past. Like the insult in the Movie Jesus of Nazareth were the BVM is travailing in agony and sweat giving birth to the lord as if she was just another woman and he was just another baby.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

LouisIX

The modern media will never, ever portray Jesus Christ in a reverent fashion.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: LouisIX on March 18, 2013, 06:07:41 AM

Yeah, so I saw part of the Jesus episode and he is portrayed as childlike/effeminate and with a slight hispanic accent. Hmmm  ::)

Dom Passerini

Blast!  I had hopes for this one since I heard it the producers were a Catholic husband and wife team.  Or, at least she is a Catholic.  I think the husband might not be.  Anyway, whoever was interviewing them said it was great blah blah blah, and I had a friend say the same thing.  I might still have a look at some point, but...Where's Mel???  Can we get that guy back already!?
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Archer

I thought Robert Powell in Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazarath was cast reverently.  As was Caviezel in the Passion. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

LouisIX

Quote from: Archer on March 31, 2013, 01:18:46 AM

I thought Robert Powell in Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazarath was cast reverently.  As was Caviezel in the Passion.

True, though there are some problems with Jesus of Nazareth, no?  And I'd consider Gibson sort of an outsider as a director and filmmaker.  The money that produced that film came largely from his own pocket, didn't it?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

voxxpopulisuxx

Yes because the Jews still are trying to cover up their crime.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Archer

Quote from: LouisIX on March 31, 2013, 02:34:07 AM
Quote from: Archer on March 31, 2013, 01:18:46 AM

True, though there are some problems with Jesus of Nazareth, no?  And I'd consider Gibson sort of an outsider as a director and filmmaker.  The money that produced that film came largely from his own pocket, didn't it?

Yes there may be questionable scenes in Jesus of Nazareth, but that's not what you said.  I thought Robert Powell reverently portrayed Jesus, despite the fact that certain scenes were wrongly interpretated. (i.e. Mary having birth pains)

The Passion was funded by Mel Gibson and his production company Icon Productions.   While it may not be straight out of hollywood, it still is an example of modern media.  I know I'm nitpicking.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

voxxpopulisuxx

The Passion of the Christ is nearly a flawless movie about Jesus...there are but microscopic nits to pic

911!

MilesChristi

Still waiting for Mel's Maccabees movie
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Heinrich

Quote from: MilesChristi on April 01, 2013, 07:06:22 PM
Still waiting for Mel's Maccabees movie

I thought that halted and he went en force with his movie on St. Olaf.

As per the OP, this is typical Easter season smudge by the powers that be on our Faith. We shouldnt bother wasting our time.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.