What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilbobaggins

Prayerful

Peter Heather, Christendom, where the author suggests that Frankish Clovis was a Homoean or Arian before he became Catholic, not a pagan and that the Papal was marginal enough except where Roman Emperors, Ostrogothic kings, Merovingian kings, and later the heirs of Charlemagne gave him attention, using the Pope to support decisions they had already taken, but needed some political stardust to avoid rancour. However a combination of land gifts from Charlemagne and the Carolingian legacy of a sufficient body of well trained churchmen who took pride in their office and professional conduct helped give Catholicism a recognisable form (no more Bavarians priests baptising in the name of the 'fatherland, daughter..., patria, filia..). His explanation of how the late Roman bureaucracy, colonised by honestiores after cities saw their land holdings and tax powers taken from them, and this itself served to push many to convert. All senior posts were in the gift of the Emperor or his advisors and unless a pagan was some irreplaceable intellectual or notable landowner, there was any number who would do what was required, whether converting or rejecting a heresy a previous emperor favoured. Mentions Paschal II. At least Popes don't blind or kill officials they find unsatisfactory or they come to distrust.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

At the Back of the North Wind, by George MacDonald.
My Lord and my God.

Mushroom

Introduction to the Devout Life: Saint Francis de Sales

Acolyte

The Secret of the Holy Face by Fr Lawrence Carney
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

red solo cup

To The Field of Stars. A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago De Compostela by Kevin Codd
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

I just finished Mario Puzo's The Godfather

Decent book, but the movie was better, IMO.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Instaurare omnia

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 04, 2023, 03:18:43 PMI just finished Mario Puzo's The Godfather

"the" movie? It's a trilogy. There are Part I fans and Part II fans, nobody in their right mind prefers Part III. Mannaggia la miseria... :lol: 8)
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Instaurare omnia on February 04, 2023, 04:15:52 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 04, 2023, 03:18:43 PMI just finished Mario Puzo's The Godfather

"the" movie? It's a trilogy. There are Part I fans and Part II fans, nobody in their right mind prefers Part III. Mannaggia la miseria... :lol: 8)

:lol:

I always just think of the first movie, tbh. 

I remember someone elsewhere preferred Part III - but I've only seen it once.  Might have to re-evaluate that opinion after a re-watch.  It's been probably a decade since I last saw the first one, and probably 20 years since seeing III.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Maximilian

The book was clearly written as a screenplay. It performed well in that function, but the movie was the natural conclusion of its intended organic development.

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 04, 2023, 05:24:22 PM
Quote from: Instaurare omnia on February 04, 2023, 04:15:52 PM

"the" movie? It's a trilogy. There are Part I fans and Part II fans, nobody in their right mind prefers Part III. Mannaggia la miseria... :lol: 8)

I always just think of the first movie, tbh. 

Quite rightly. Godfather III is a joke. Godfather II is highly praised, but I detest it with a great loathing.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Maximilian on February 04, 2023, 07:18:47 PMThe book was clearly written as a screenplay. It performed well in that function, but the movie was the natural conclusion of its intended organic development.

In hindsight, yea, I can see this.  The novel wasn't written "well" as a novel.  It was a bit too casual, I think, for anything "serious", literature-wise.  If that makes sense. 

Quote from: Maximilian on February 04, 2023, 07:20:22 PMGodfather II is highly praised, but I detest it with a great loathing.

Why don't you like it? 

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 04, 2023, 09:28:54 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on February 04, 2023, 07:20:22 PMGodfather II is highly praised, but I detest it with a great loathing.

Why don't you like it? 

The original Godfather movie is a great classic, filled with human values like family loyalty.

Watching Godfather II felt like spending 2 hours being dragged through hell. Everyone was evil. Michael's wife aborts their child. Michael kills his brother. There were no redeeming virtues. Maybe that was the point of the moviemakers, but I don't want to watch it.

red solo cup

According to the rules, Michael did the right thing topping Fredo. When you get "made" you take an oath that you put La Cossa Nostra before anything else, even family. As they say, it's a matter of honor.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Getting ready to start World Without End, by Ken Follett. Hope it's better than Pillars of the Earth.
My Lord and my God.