Electron crystal made

Started by james03, October 13, 2021, 12:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02657-6

I think this pretty much kills off the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

You are at sub nanometer lengths.  No one will touch it though because they'd be treated as an heretic.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Heinrich

Quote from: james03 on October 13, 2021, 07:35:52 PM
You are at sub nanometer lengths.  No one will touch it though because they'd be treated as an heretic.

Like Geocentrism.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

MaximGun

I had some curtains that looked like that in the 1970s.

LausTibiChriste

a heretic*
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Heinrich

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 14, 2021, 10:53:55 AM

a heretic*

It's a silent aitch, ace.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

this page left intentionally blank

Heinrich

cgraye

Quote from: james03 on October 13, 2021, 12:07:43 PM
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02657-6

I think this pretty much kills off the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle.

What does this have to do with the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle?  The article doesn't mention anything about it.

james03

QuoteThe article doesn't mention anything about it.

It will never be investigated.  Did any scientist investigate whether IBM spelling out their name with atoms violated Heisenberg?  No.  This is orders of magnitude more precise. 

cgraye

Quote from: james03 on October 25, 2021, 05:31:50 AM
QuoteThe article doesn't mention anything about it.

It will never be investigated.  Did any scientist investigate whether IBM spelling out their name with atoms violated Heisenberg?  No.  This is orders of magnitude more precise.

But still far, far beyond the scale where the uncertainty principle would make any difference to the structure of the crystal.

james03

A reflexive answer.  This is the sad state of science.

Mass of an electron 1x10^-27g
Picometer 1x 10^-12  m (we might be down to femto meter scale actually).

Planck:  6.6 x 10^-34

This was likely done very close to absolute zero, so given the miniscule mass of an electron, the uncertainty in momentum is small, probably on the order of mass.  So not only is this not far, far beyond the scale (2 fars?), it likely violates the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  It clearly deserves consideration.

Which is not surprising since Ozawa showed that it was in error with his neutron beam experiments.  He came up with an uncertainty principle that has two additional factors.  The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was wrong.  This current experiment is likely further proof.  But with people making reflexive answers and swallowing things without question, I doubt anyone will check.

The point being not that there is anything wrong with the concept of uncertainty, but rather that when experiments show problems (like our first pass calcs of the IBM experiment), we don't reflexively dismiss them, but take a second look.  In this way science is refined.

cgraye

Quote from: james03 on October 25, 2021, 07:59:21 PM
A reflexive answer.  This is the sad state of science.

Mass of an electron 1x10^-27g
Picometer 1x 10^-12  m (we might be down to femto meter scale actually).

Planck:  6.6 x 10^-34

This was likely done very close to absolute zero, so given the miniscule mass of an electron, the uncertainty in momentum is small, probably on the order of mass.  So not only is this not far, far beyond the scale (2 fars?), it likely violates the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  It clearly deserves consideration.

Where are you getting these numbers?  And what is the calculation you are trying to show?  If the uncertainty principle is violated, the product of the uncertainties would have to be less than h bar over 2.  I can't tell what you are proposing it is.  But the distances between the electrons in the crystal are extremely large compared to electrons, on the order of nanometers.

QuoteWhich is not surprising since Ozawa showed that it was in error with his neutron beam experiments.  He came up with an uncertainty principle that has two additional factors.  The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was wrong.  This current experiment is likely further proof.  But with people making reflexive answers and swallowing things without question, I doubt anyone will check.

That's not what Ozawa showed.  He showed that interpreting Heisenberg's relation as a limit on how little a measurement could disturb a system was wrong.  And despite that being Heisenberg's initial idea, that's not what the uncertainty principle came to refer to, which was a limit on how much you could suppress the quantum fluctuations of position and momentum (or whatever), which has nothing to do with measurement.  Ozawa actually combined these ideas and produced a relation which combines error and disturbances as well as fluctuations.

QuoteThe point being not that there is anything wrong with the concept of uncertainty, but rather that when experiments show problems (like our first pass calcs of the IBM experiment), we don't reflexively dismiss them, but take a second look.  In this way science is refined.

Obviously no one has a problem studying the question of uncertainty - otherwise Ozawa's work would have been ignored.  If the Wigner crystals showed a violation of the uncertainty principle, that would be a momentous discovery.  Don't you think physicists would jump on that if it were the case?

james03

QuoteDon't you think physicists would jump on that if it were the case?

No.