God and Psychiatry

Started by red solo cup, June 21, 2021, 03:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Elizabeth.2

This is a topic dear to my heart, RedSolo.  I need to find the time to find some videos that blew me away.

Elizabeth.2

Peter Breggin, M.D. is a psychiatrist with lots of books and compelling Youtube talks about the chemical lobotomies so many people experience on the psyche meds, the intolerable side effects, and he makes a lot of sense.

Non Nobis

Coincidentally I have an as yet unread book "God and the Unconcscious" by Fr. Victor White, O.P. "Imprimi Potest" 1952, with a forward by C. G. Jung "himself". I have a not very well followed interest in these things.  If only my brain was more capacious and my self-discipline was greater.

A blurb on the back of the book says "The most important contribution of the relations between psychology and religion that has yet been seen" -- Blackfriars

A blurb from google: " As a pioneer in Jungian-Christian dialogue, White held that it is untenable to view the human person other than as an integrated whole."

Of course the psychiatry (and meds) of today is still a further issue...

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Prayerful

Quote from: Non Nobis on June 23, 2021, 09:47:20 AM
Coincidentally I have an as yet unread book "God and the Unconcscious" by Fr. Victor White, O.P. "Imprimi Potest" 1952, with a forward by C. G. Jung "himself". I have a not very well followed interest in these things.  If only my brain was more capacious and my self-discipline was greater.

A blurb on the back of the book says "The most important contribution of the relations between psychology and religion that has yet been seen" -- Blackfriars

A blurb from google: " As a pioneer in Jungian-Christian dialogue, White held that it is untenable to view the human person other than as an integrated whole."

Of course the psychiatry (and meds) of today is still a further issue...

Archive.org has the title.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Elizabeth.2

M. Scott Peck, M.D. made a big splash writing The Road Less Travelled but his best work, IMO, was The People of the Lie because he actually broke rank and called evil, evil. 
He ended up observing the Rite of Exorcism with Malachi Martin.  I'm pretty sure it was Dr. Peck whom Fr. Martin described as going off the rails doing some kind of DIY 'exorcism'.  (I suspect he took grave risks with an energumen, was not Catholic nor in a state of grace after Confession.) He definitely ended up crazy and alcoholic, writing New Age stuff, and his career tanked.

But, Scott Peck deserves credit for crashing the taboo of any morality in psychotherapy.