Thomism and the Interface Problem

Started by james03, June 20, 2021, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

Does anyone know of any online articles on how the Scholastics deal with the interface problem?
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

james03

I really haven't found anything either.  The attached article was the best I've come across.  I'll dig into Feser's blog some more and then  I'll post my proposed solution to the problem later.  For now, here is an easy way to see the problem of interface:

"State the efficient causal chain involved in a thought/desire ending up moving a hand.".

Note the problem of interface is fatal to atheism.  It became cataclysmic after Quantum Theory became accepted.

Michael Wilson

James,
please explain what is the "Interface Problem", and why its fatal for atheism.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

James, with all due respect, it is threads and pursuits such as this that make me see the Dellery's delimma and his discombobulated state, resulting in his frustrations with Tradman.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Insanis

Quote from: james03 on June 20, 2021, 02:38:33 PM
Does anyone know of any online articles on how the Scholastics deal with the interface problem?

A question like this can be answered only by "walls of text".

james03

QuoteJames,

In short, a field and a charge are only accounting book entries describing a certain volume, for example, an electron (charge), or area around a magnet (field).  Science can not provide a materialist efficient causal chain to explain how a magnetic field can divert the path of an electron.  That is because charge and field do not materially exist.  They immaterially exist, and are real, but matter is not involved.  Therefore they are left to explain the interface problem, how immaterial charge and field can exert a force on the mass of an electron.  They can't.

When you get to certain quantum phenomenon, like entanglement, the materialist's head explodes.  The A-T concept of form solves the problem.  There is no physical entanglement, that is impossible.  Instead the forms of the particles become entangled.  This was explained in an article posted on this forum awhile back.

Insanis

Quote from: james03 on June 21, 2021, 12:20:29 PM
QuoteJames,

In short, a field and a charge are only accounting book entries describing a certain volume, for example, an electron (charge), or area around a magnet (field).  Science can not provide a materialist efficient causal chain to explain how a magnetic field can divert the path of an electron.  That is because charge and field do not materially exist.  They immaterially exist, and are real, but matter is not involved.  Therefore they are left to explain the interface problem, how immaterial charge and field can exert a force on the mass of an electron.  They can't.

When you get to certain quantum phenomenon, like entanglement, the materialist's head explodes.  The A-T concept of form solves the problem.  There is no physical entanglement, that is impossible.  Instead the forms of the particles become entangled.  This was explained in an article posted on this forum awhile back.

That is not profound: that is ignorance of modern science. Yes, modern science has complicated elements such as the equivalence of mass and energy, but this is a matter of science, not philosophy.

Using words you heard and trying to be deep while you resist any actual reading is silly. You need to know the basics first.

Heinrich

Quote from: Insanis on June 21, 2021, 01:49:58 PM
QuoteJames,

That is not profound: that is ignorance of modern science. Yes, modern science has complicated elements such as the equivalence of mass and energy, but this is a matter of science, not philosophy.

Using words you heard and trying to be deep while you resist any actual reading is silly. You need to know the basics first.

Yes, but isn't he asking about Thomistic theology?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

QuoteYes, but isn't he asking about Thomistic theology?

Yes.  In the past this sub forum had a lot of Thomists, probably some with Masters Degrees in philosophy.  Now I have to hunt around Feser's blog if I have a question.

Heinrich

Quote from: james03 on June 21, 2021, 07:19:33 PM
QuoteYes, but isn't he asking about Thomistic theology?

Yes.  In the past this sub forum had a lot of Thomists, probably some with Masters Degrees in philosophy.  Now I have to hunt around Feser's blog if I have a question.

Hopefully Gardener sees this.

andy

In short, a field and a charge are only accounting book entries describing a certain volume, for example, an electron (charge), or area around a magnet (field).  Science can not provide a materialist efficient causal chain to explain how a magnetic field can divert the path of an electron.  That is because charge and field do not materially exist.

No, charge and field do materially exist. There is such a thing as a gravity wave. This is a massless matter. They move with maximum speed of light. They can be located in 4D space and time. They are of different kind than e.g. angels.

james03

QuoteThis is a massless matter.

If they are massless, then they don't materially exist.  They immaterially exist.  They are real.  But they don't involve matter, as in, having mass.  Therefore science can't come up with a material causal chain of how say an electric field can divert the path of an electron.  They can describe it.  They can develop calculations to predict it.  But they can't provide a material causal chain.  This is the interface problem.

Defining terms:
material / materially: describing something with mass.
immaterial / immaterially: describing something without mass.

james03

QuoteThey are of different kind than e.g. angels.

Yes.  I use the term "spiritual" to define "the perceiving immaterial".  Qualia such as "red" shares some characteristics with angels.  It has no time.  It has no place.  However unlike angels it does not perceive.

There is also Information.  As it pertains to Realism, I see at least two subcategories: parameters and rules.  Charge and field are parameters.  The diversion of an electron is a rule.  The spiritual perceives information.

andy

I guess I have a quite different definition of what "material" means. It is a pattern or law which exists in our universe. Whether it is a mass or a massless particle or an interaction or a wave or a soliton.

The prime example are nuclear reactions, where an energy freely interchanges with a mass. They are predominant outside our "flat" Earth.

In another words, this equation E2 = p2c2 + m2c4 links energy, momentum and mass and it is a heart of our material world.

Even a vacuum is material as it can be described by 4D coordinates: space and time.

QuoteI use the term "spiritual" to define "the perceiving immaterial".  Qualia such as "red" shares some characteristics with angels.  It has no time.  It has no place.  However unlike angels it does not perceive. 

Are you referring to "the redness of an evening sky". This is definitely a light. It exists and is perceived by our eyes. Not sure what you mean?