Favorite Chesterton Quotes.

Started by Melkor, April 19, 2021, 08:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

Rules

1. Max one quote a day from any posters. Why? Well, there are about a thousand odd quotes I would like to post, and I am sure I am not the only one. :D

2. No paragraphs or essays, just (relatively) short quotes. We all know GK could talk for hours about nearly anything, so keep it short.

C'mon fellow Chesterton fans, lets share some of our best GK quotes to the uninitiated! Hopefully this thread is in the right place, as I figured GK's line of thinking and approach to our Faith will be helpful to some! Our religion is one of joy because we want to be in it, not being a downer because we have to! Lets see what you got!

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

G.K. Chesterton
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Melkor

"There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people."
? G.K. Chesterton
Kinda like this thread.... :D

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Non Nobis

"Angels can fly because they can take.themselves lightly."

I have  a bad memory but this is on my refrigerator, somewhere.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

george_aeterno

"Nietzsche's aristocracy has about it all the sacredness that belongs to the weak. When he makes us feel that he cannot endure the innumerable faces, the incessant voices, the overpowering omnipresence which belongs to the mob, he will have the sympathy of anybody who has ever been sick on a steamer or tired in a crowded omnibus. Every man has hated mankind when he was less than a man. Every man has had humanity in his eyes like a blinding fog, humanity in his nostrils like a suffocating smell. But when Nietzsche has the incredible lack of humour and lack of imagination to ask us to believe that his aristocracy is an aristocracy of strong muscles or an aristocracy of strong wills, it is necessary to point out the truth. It is an aristocracy of weak nerves."

Mono no aware

CHESTERTON.  To look at you, one would think there was a famine in the land.
SHAW.  To look at you, one would think that you had caused it.

Melkor

Real wit! Unlike the crass humor promoted these days.

Melkor

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people."
? G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."

? G.K. Chesterton

Gerard

"There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great."

? G.K. Chesterton, Charles Dickens: A Critical Study

Mr. Mysterious

"Ten thousand women marched through the streets shouting, 'We will not be dictated to,' and went off and became stenographers."

-G.K. Chesterton
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Melkor

Lol @Mr. Mysterious you stole my next quote!!

Melkor

"Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out."

? G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."

? G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Melkor

"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."

G.K. Chesterton.

I hate what the Liberals have done to Canada. Another lockdown today, can't even have one person over. I'm going over to my friend's place anyhow.