Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart

Started by drummerboy, March 04, 2024, 10:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

I'm trying to figure out where in my Missal to find the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart.  All three Missals (1962, Saint Andrew, and Father Lasance) contain only the Mass of the Sacred Heart on the Third Friday after Pentecost, or octave of Corpus Christi.  I ask because I'm wondering if this would be the Mass the priest says on First Friday, if he is saying the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart.  I've tried following along with the propers mentioned, but it didn't seem to fit.  Any help is, as always, appreciated.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Maximilian

Quote from: drummerboy on March 04, 2024, 10:29:30 AMI'm trying to figure out where in my Missal to find the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart.  All three Missals (1962, Saint Andrew, and Father Lasance) contain only the Mass of the Sacred Heart on the Third Friday after Pentecost, or octave of Corpus Christi.  I ask because I'm wondering if this would be the Mass the priest says on First Friday, if he is saying the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart.  I've tried following along with the propers mentioned, but it didn't seem to fit.  Any help is, as always, appreciated.

I have only seen the Mass for the Feast of the Sacred Heart used for First Friday Mass. I'm not aware that there is any other alternative. I wonder what Mass the priest could have been saying if it was something different? If it was last Friday, then maybe he decided to do the Mass of the day in Lent?

drummerboy

He said the Votive Mass, since he said the Gloria, which I was surprised to hear during Lent.  I think in the past it was my error, rather than a different Mass.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: drummerboy on March 04, 2024, 10:29:30 AMI'm trying to figure out where in my Missal to find the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart.  All three Missals (1962, Saint Andrew, and Father Lasance) contain only the Mass of the Sacred Heart on the Third Friday after Pentecost, or octave of Corpus Christi.  I ask because I'm wondering if this would be the Mass the priest says on First Friday, if he is saying the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart.  I've tried following along with the propers mentioned, but it didn't seem to fit.  Any help is, as always, appreciated.

If he is saying the Mass of the Sacred Heart on First Friday, it's just the Mass from after Corpus Christi.  This is how my missals lay it out.  They also include the note "if a Votive Mass is celebrated after Septuagesima, the priest says this tract, etc".

Which propers don't seem to fit, in your experience?  Maybe the priest is adding extra collects, etc?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

drummerboy

It's been a year or two honestly, I can't recall specifically what it was, I just always struggled to find the Votive Mass in question