Hi Everyone!

Started by AgnusDei, January 15, 2019, 06:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgnusDei

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and feel so blessed to be apart of the community 8)

I first converted to Catholicism when I was 12 years old after a profound spiritual experience. However, I was only able to get baptized just recently. I am now a humble college student, majoring in nursing, hoping to later urn my masters as a nurse midwife.

I have so many question even now about how to be a good Catholic, so you'll probably find me asking some questions about the faith. I really look forward to meeting all of you and growing closer to our beloved God together?

Favorite Books: A Tale of Two Cities, Quo Vadis, The Betrothed, and I could on. . .

Favorite Movies: The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, The Lord of the Rings, Gone with the Wind, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and this would be really long too. . .

Hobbies: reading, playing the cello, and making rosaries

P.S. My apologies to the moderator for not posting this introduction in the section where new members introduce themselves. I'm afraid I just couldn't find a reply or post button to start my into. Hope you understand :-[

Jacob

Welcome!

Have you read The Lord of the Rings?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

AgnusDei

Hi Jacob! Yes, I have and the Hobbit. They are superb 8)

Jacob

Quote from: AgnusDei on January 15, 2019, 06:38:09 PM
Hi Jacob! Yes, I have and the Hobbit. They are superb 8)

Excellent.  We have common ground on which to build understanding. :)

Tell me more about your desire to be a nurse.  You're in college, by that I assume you are studying for a BSN?  Various members of my family are nurses
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

AgnusDei

Nursing, like no other career I've considered, warms my heart, and I know I am called to selflessly help my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

AgnusDei

Yes, I am a college student and it has been a wonderful experience! To be around those who are so knowledgable and passionate about their subjects is truly rewarding.

You said you have nurses in your family. Are they RN's or do they specialize? You must feel so lucky. If you happen to start choking at the Thanksgiving table, they'll know what to do 8)

Jacob

Quote from: AgnusDei on January 15, 2019, 07:12:08 PM
You said you have nurses in your family. Are they RN's or do they specialize? You must feel so lucky. If you happen to start choking at the Thanksgiving table, they'll know what to do 8)

They are RNs, yes.  Working the floor, assisting in surgery.  My mom is a school nurse right now.
--Neal Stephenson

AgnusDei

That is a wonderful profession. I know they need more nurses everywhere, including in the schools. May God bless your mother for her work :pray3: Thanks also for your help in my other post!

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on becoming a Catholic, and I look forward to your questions and contributions.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

AgnusDei

Hi red solo and Michael Wilson! Thank you for your warm welcome :)

Michael Wilson

I also forgot to mention I'm a big "Ringer Dinger" myself.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Non Nobis

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 18, 2019, 05:51:11 PM

What does that mean here? Lord of the Rings enthusiast?  (Google isn't very helpful. Ugh.)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Non Nobis

Quote from: AgnusDei on January 15, 2019, 06:33:28 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and feel so blessed to be apart of the community 8)

I first converted to Catholicism when I was 12 years old after a profound spiritual experience. However, I was only able to get baptized just recently. I am now a humble college student, majoring in nursing, hoping to later urn my masters as a nurse midwife.

I have so many question even now about how to be a good Catholic, so you'll probably find me asking some questions about the faith. I really look forward to meeting all of you and growing closer to our beloved God together?

Favorite Books: A Tale of Two Cities, Quo Vadis, The Betrothed, and I could on. . .

Favorite Movies: The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, The Lord of the Rings, Gone with the Wind, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and this would be really long too. . .

Hobbies: reading, playing the cello, and making rosaries

P.S. My apologies to the moderator for not posting this introduction in the section where new members introduce themselves. I'm afraid I just couldn't find a reply or post button to start my into. Hope you understand :-[

AgnusDei, 

I'm a LONG way from being a college student (I'm X times your age), and I've never been as nice a person as I think most nurses are (or are trying to be), but I still share your tastes in books and movies. "Tale of Two Cities" is maybe my favorite Dickens novel, "The Betrothed" was a rather recent discovery (compared to my lifetime) and also a favorite now, I love LOTR book and movies, "Casablanca" is (purely by chance) the name of the condo complex I live in (!) and a favorite video in my small collection, and I never regret seeing "Ben Hur" yet again.

I've watched a lot of more modern movies since then but always gravitate to the old classics that intelligent adults can enjoy without being  over sophisticated and too used to the modern world.

Bless you for trying to be a good Catholic and closer to God, which I hope is what we are all trying to do here.

Welcome to the forum!
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Non Nobis on January 18, 2019, 07:55:48 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 18, 2019, 05:51:11 PM

What does that mean here? Lord of the Rings enthusiast?  (Google isn't very helpful. Ugh.)
A big fan of the books and movies. My brother coined the phrase, when I introduced him to the books and he didn't care for them, he told me: "Sorry, but I'm not a Ringer-Ringer".  But the term is even older than this; we used to go to Carvel (an ice cream chain in the East of the U.S.) and they had an item called "The Flying Saucer", which was an Ice Cream sandwich made with two round chocolate wafers. For some unknown reason, my brother started calling them "ringer-dingers"; so that is what we always called them.
I'll see if I can find a Carvel commercial with Tom Carvel; he was an old Greek guy with a gravely-boring monotone voice; who made these commercials that were terrible (in the boring sense), but somehow they sold.