Suggestion: Group Rosary

Started by Vetus Ordo, November 03, 2017, 02:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

I was thinking we could establish a custom of saying a group rosary once a week. It was an experience we were able to do in FE chat a long time ago (and only once) but it worked well.

We could use the forum chat for that purpose. It's a platform that already exists.

We could schedule it every Friday evening, for instance. At a set hour to be defined. Someone would be in charge of leading the group and those of us who would be interested would log in at that time and join in. Just like a small virtual parish. We could even share the responsabilities among a few. One week such and such would be responsible to lead the prayer, another week another person and so forth. We could even publish the prayers here so no-one would feel lost.

Please, share your thoughts and tell me what you think of it.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

PerEvangelicaDicta

I'm so pleased you're here at SD again, V.O.   
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jayne

I remember doing it at FE more than once. I liked it very much. I would love to participate. Thanks for suggesting this.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Vetus Ordo

We need to establish a day of the week and a fixed time.

I suggest Friday. As for the hour itself, it would be best to find an intermediate time that would be convenient to most people.

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Vetus Ordo

I have to lobby Käse on this one.

Xavier

Great idea. Count me in. I think Saturday may be better though, since that is the day devoted to the Immaculate Heart of our Mother. We could of course do it on more than one day. Yes to publishing it on the forum beside chat as well. We really need a Rosary crusading army to win the world for Christ our King again.

Pope Pius IX said, "Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world ... If you desire peace in your hearts, in your homes, and in your country, assemble each evening to recite the Rosary. Let not even one day pass without saying it, no matter how burdened you may be with many cares and labors."
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Kaesekopf

Friday would not work for me, unless it was from 1-5pm Central American Time.  (I have Low Mass at 630p Central). 

Is this a video chat or an IRC chat (chat room) type of rosary? 

I do, however, fully support this endeavor.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

ServusMariae

oh, oh count me in too!! I can lead the Rosary recitation in Latin!! (*enthusiastically waves hand in the air*)

although, I admit - I am uncomfortable using the IRC interface of the forum's chat function ... not sure if we can create a Skype/WhatsApp group for the rosary recitation ... otherwise, just open up a new thread & post live updates. :P

(Also, because I'm a Singaporean living in Singapore, the time zone is entirely different from all of ye brethren living on the other side of the glode. If it's daytime there, it's night-time here. If it's night-time there, it's daytime here. lol.)

Vetus Ordo

Okay, Saturday might be better for everyone. It's usually a day off.

We'll have to submit a poll with a few hours to chose from and the majority vote will decide. Keep in mind that not all members live in the US, though.

I was thinking of using the IRC chat already available here at the forum website because it's easier, simpler and faster for everyone. Setting up Skype videochats and the like is not as simple, not everyone has webcams, etc.

ServusMariae

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 04, 2017, 07:58:02 AM
Okay, Saturday might be better for everyone. It's usually a day off.

We'll have to submit a poll with a few hours to chose from and the majority vote will decide. Keep in mind that not all members live in the US, though.

sounds good. :)

I was thinking of using the IRC chat already available here at the forum website because it's easier, simpler and faster for everyone. Setting up Skype videochats and the like is not as simple, not everyone has webcams, etc.

You have a point ... if this Rosary project were to be taken beyond SD, it's gonna be complicated haha ... alrighty then, ye olde IRC can work.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on November 03, 2017, 04:35:29 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on November 03, 2017, 03:42:51 PM
I'm so pleased you're here at SD again, V.O.

So, you're in?
Yes. We are a family - reciting the rosary together is powerful.

Regarding a poll to establish day/time, may I suggest offering all days of the week and various time frames?  Just one example, while I'm continental N. America/EST, early morning may work to incorporate other time zones.  I presume majority will prevail.

Lastly, can we establish a set format beforehand?  We all know there can be many ad hoc prayers before and after the rosary, particular to each family/culture.  (This may entail another poll.)

other thoughts
-  are we using the method of St. Louis de Montfort?
-  what prayers do we recite following?
-  how meditative/lengthy should the intro to each mystery be? Scripture readings?  or, again, St. L de M style of stating the virtue and grace sought?

IMHO it would be good to keep it efficient, with a set intention (IHM of course, and SD family?) and stick to basics. If it gets too lengthy or "personal", it could discourage some. 
FWIW  :)
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on November 04, 2017, 09:36:58 AM
Regarding a poll to establish day/time, may I suggest offering all days of the week and various time frames?

I'm afraid it's too ambitious for the time being. Let's stick with one day of the week first (Saturday). If it works for a long period of time, let's say a year, we can think of incorporating other days. It has to be constant and people have to show long term interest in it. So, let's start simple.

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on November 04, 2017, 09:36:58 AMLastly, can we establish a set format beforehand?

Yes, it is indispensable that we establish a set format because, despite being a private devotion, it will be a public prayer of a group. There are many regional variances when praying the rosary so I'd suggest to follow a simple format, said in Latin. I'll submit one later. Once we agree to the format, including the meditation on the mysteries (in this case, the glorious mysteries since it will fall on Saturdays), we can publish a definite sticky thread for the benefit of all who wish to participate.

There are two reasons to opt for Latin for this public rosary. The first and the most obvious one, would be that not all members of SD have English as their mother tongue and since Latin is the holy language of the Church, it serves as a common bond between us as we pray together. The second one, and not least important, is that Latin is traditionally considered to be more powerful against the Devil. Not in and of itself, as a magic trick, but on account of the holiness conferred upon it for being the Church's language and the language of exorcisms.

For those who can't personally pray in Latin, they accompany the prayers in their own tongue. But the one leading the rosary, should say it in Latin. I'll add more thoughts later on.

Please, chime in all of you.

PerEvangelicaDicta

You've thought it through and it sounds logical and proper.  No doubt, graces will abound for you for this effort, my friend.