To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

In this video of "Bygone Days of Ireland," he starts singing while mowing the hay with his scythe (at the 52:00 mark).

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Aulef

Tota pulchra es, Maria
Et macula originalis non est in Te

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Innocent Smith

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on December 17, 2020, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 16, 2020, 01:01:09 PMSurprised to see this choice here.  But, what do I know about anything!

Love Fearless with the Football fan chant at the end.  Didn't even know that was the name of the tune.  I miss quite a lot whilst listening.  I swear I must have ADHD and not even know it.

I do not know Fat Old Sun as far as I am aware and do not know the album Atom Heart Mother.  It's one of the few Floyd records I do not own along with that movie soundtrack.

As surprised as I was to hear those songs on the radio? ;D  Same here about having ADHD and missing a lot of ('technical' detail) stuff while listening.  I know what I like when I hear it, but I might not know any other details beyond that. Y'know? LOL

Which movie soundtrack are you talking about?

QuoteHere is what I have been listening to, Queen Kate.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZDKlpybZE&feature=emb_logo[/yt]

I love that.  I didn't know until recently that it was David Gilmour who basically 'discovered' Kate Bush. :shrug:  Heard this one on the radio yesterday:

This one, Lady Purpuraria.  It's hard to find, because all one is able to see when conducting a search is The Wall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_(soundtrack)

Never heard it, but I will listen soon.  I only know about it, since Pink Floyd reissued all these old records on vinyl a couple of years back.

Interesting that this is the first record without Sid. 

I am now listening to Exhuming McCarthy.  And will then listen to Maps and Legends from Reconstruction of the Fables, or is that Fables of the Reconstruction. 

Maybe I'm dyslexic or need a new prescription for my eyes!!!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJ7jNDRy9s&feature=emb_logo[/yt]

I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Philip G.

I remember these from when they were first posted, but I have not listened to them since then.  They are amazing.  They are Christmas songs arranged in a very rich and in some cases particularly spanish fashion.

I went to this guitar shop years ago.  I sat on their famous purple couch(that the best guitarists in the world sit on) and played a Hauser copy.   

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

paul14

I found this quite interesting.  Click on the play button the screen shown.

Holy Smoke - Goodbye to Catholic Ireland

https://www.spectator.co.uk/podcast/goodbye-to-catholic-ireland

Prayerful

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Optatus

Non Nobis

Quote from: Optatus on December 30, 2020, 06:39:10 PM
Catholic black metal, naturally.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqVvyuTI6cw[/yt]

I mean no personal offense, but that sure is not traditional Catholic music.   Not for Mass, not for anything.

It's trying to marry Catholic things with "Black metal" that Wikipedia says was "initiially a synonym for 'Satanic metal'.  Sure it takes out the Satanic words and (I presume) puts in Catholic words. But what kind of sense is there in trying to use the same kind of sounds for music in Catholic life as are used for these sort of things:

QuoteInitially a synonym for "Satanic metal",[20] black metal has often sparked controversy, due to the actions and ideologies associated with the genre. Many artists express extreme anti-Christian and misanthropic views, advocating various forms of Satanism or ethnic paganism. In the 1990s, members of the scene were responsible for a spate of church burnings and murders. There is also a small neo-Nazi movement within black metal, although it has been shunned by many prominent artists.[5][21][22] Generally, black metal strives to remain an underground phenomenon.[23]
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Optatus

Quote from: Non Nobis on December 30, 2020, 09:07:17 PM
I mean no personal offense, but that sure is not traditional Catholic music.   Not for Mass, not for anything.

It's trying to marry Catholic things with "Black metal" that Wikipedia says was "initiially a synonym for 'Satanic metal'.  Sure it takes out the Satanic words and (I presume) puts in Catholic words. But what kind of sense is there in trying to use the same kind of sounds for music in Catholic life as are used for these sort of things:

QuoteInitially a synonym for "Satanic metal",[20] black metal has often sparked controversy, due to the actions and ideologies associated with the genre. Many artists express extreme anti-Christian and misanthropic views, advocating various forms of Satanism or ethnic paganism. In the 1990s, members of the scene were responsible for a spate of church burnings and murders. There is also a small neo-Nazi movement within black metal, although it has been shunned by many prominent artists.[5][21][22] Generally, black metal strives to remain an underground phenomenon.[23]

Don't worry, no offense taken! The sense, at least I think, is partly to bring the faith to people who would otherwise go on despising it. You're absolutely right of course to point out the Satanic undercurrents of the early scene, especially in Norway, and the overwhelming majority of black metal remains thoroughly anti-Christian. In the last few years, however, there has been an explosion of growth in the unblack (i.e., Christian) scene - most of it is not specifically Catholic, but that scene continues to grow as well. One story I particularly like is that another band, Reverorum ib Malacht, began to study the Church to better mock Christ, only to convert.

All of this is to say that I think it's worthwhile to challenge our enemies and confront their ideas openly, even on their own terms and in their own language. We should not allow some gang of Satanists, neo-pagans, occultists and nihilists to spread their evil unmolested as they once did, especially to young people who are particularly easy prey to the sort of thinking present in this music. Better instead to baptise it and use it as a new medium to spread the faith.

The other thing I would say, and this strikes nearer to my own interest in it, is that the genre is simply well-suited to exploring darker themes: agony, death, suffering, sorrow, etc. None of these things are alien to Catholics, but are our constant companions in this life. Not to get too personal, but for myself, this silly music has helped me to get through some pretty rough times in my life by giving form to some of the crazier thoughts whizzing around my head, helping me to properly recognise them for what they were and, if not direct them toward productive ends, at least direct them away from destructive ones.

red solo cup

red solo cup