Is this necessary?

Started by Othmar, June 08, 2013, 09:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Othmar

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on June 08, 2013, 06:54:16 PM
For someone who is into typefaces, I am surprised you are using a serif font in a screen-based context. :D

I was wondering whether someone would notice.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Othmar on June 08, 2013, 11:52:49 PM
For someone who is into typefaces, I am surprised you are using a serif font in a screen-based context. :D

I was wondering whether someone would notice.

I am pretty much an expert on typeface and readability, ever since I did some cursory research on web page design in order to support a presentation I made in a communications class.  :-X
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

zork

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

OCLittleFlower

San-serif is modernist annoyance, in any context.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 09, 2013, 05:57:24 PM

But it is objectively more readable on a screen. I am willing to make that sacrifice.
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "

????????????

Bonaventure

It makes it much easier to read.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

poche

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Bonaventure on June 09, 2013, 11:17:02 PM

Only if it is printed, or very large.
Serifs aid readability in printed text, but they detract from text on a screen.

????????????

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on June 09, 2013, 08:26:29 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on June 09, 2013, 05:57:24 PM

But it is objectively more readable on a screen. I am willing to make that sacrifice.

I still have a harder time with it than serif fonts, screen or not.  San-serif has to be MUCH larger for me to be able to read it clearly.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on June 10, 2013, 12:25:06 AM
Quote from: Bonaventure on June 09, 2013, 11:17:02 PM

Only if it is printed, or very large.
Serifs aid readability in printed text, but they detract from text on a screen.

I disagree.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Agree or disagree, the studies do not lie.

Although theoretically development in screen resolution technology could (and probably will) in the near future render moot the differences between screen and printed media, at which point serif fonts would be superior in both contexts.

????????????

LouisIX

Welcome, Othmar.  Glad to have you here.

:toth:
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.