Advent Chant

Started by Josephine87, December 06, 2018, 12:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine87

I found a neat blog post (and there are other good chant posts) with some Advent Chant.

https://stcatherinecenter.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/gregorian-chant-advent/

There's a really great recommendation on this blog for learning some chant songs:  Kitty Cleveland's Sublime Chant. I have been listening to the album on YouTube. Usually I don't like soloists but in this case it's easier for me to figure out how to chant it when I only hear one voice. Maybe this will be helpful to you too. I'm trying to learn to chant these songs with my 3 year old.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Josephine87 on December 06, 2018, 12:42:12 PM
I found a neat blog post (and there are other good chant posts) with some Advent Chant.

https://stcatherinecenter.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/gregorian-chant-advent/

There's a really great recommendation on this blog for learning some chant songs:  Kitty Cleveland's Sublime Chant. I have been listening to the album on YouTube. Usually I don't like soloists but in this case it's easier for me to figure out how to chant it when I only hear one voice. Maybe this will be helpful to you too. I'm trying to learn to chant these songs with my 3 year old.

This is great! Thank you!  :pray3:

MundaCorMeum

I found this link yesterday, too:

https://thehomelyhours.com/2018/11/28/advent-hymns-carols-one-per-day/

My kids and I are working our way through them, starting today. 

Josephine87

Thank you, MundaCorMeum! I am happy to include some English songs too! I did not grow up Christian so I don't know any hymns.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Josephine87 on December 06, 2018, 02:49:48 PM
Thank you, MundaCorMeum! I am happy to include some English songs too! I did not grow up Christian so I don't know any hymns.

Well, you are in good company...I grew up "Catholic", and I don't know many hymns, either (unless you count 80's Vactican II hymns  :whistling:)  I am determined to learn, though!  I have two kids in choir learning traditional, Latin hymns; and we've added hymn study as a school subject this year  :thumbsup: