Universal Basic Income likely in India by 2020.

Started by Xavier, July 09, 2018, 05:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Universal Basic Income, provided it is linked in some way to economic growth, and replaces most welfare schemes which it offsets, is certainly an idea whose time has come. Below, Arvind Subramanian, Chief Economic Advisor of India, says it is very likely India will have several states implementing UBI by 2020. India has a population almost as large as the entire Catholic Church, at close to 1.3 billion people, of whom some 285 million people, almost the population of America, live in poverty. A UBI scheme linked to growth and replacing most welfare scheme has been proposed by many economists and financial advisors for India and would likely be very successful in lifting millions of people out of poverty in the coming few decades.

https://futurism.com/we-could-see-indian-universal-basic-income-2020/

QuoteConversations about implementing a universal basic income scheme have been ongoing among Indian officials for years. Now, it seems closer to fruition than ever before.
Arvind Subramanian, Chief Economic Adviser to the Government of India, has issued a prediction that at least one or two of the country's states will implement an Indian universal basic income within the next two years. Previously, the economist backed the idea in India's Economic Survey for 2016-17.

The concept of UBI has been gaining traction in India over the last few years. In July 2017, talks were held to determine whether such an initiative could be brought to fruition, but opinion is still divided.

There are hopes that UBI could offer a way to support people who are put out of work by automation and other new technologies. Various pilot schemes have established that there are tangible benefits to giving people a reliable source of income, but we're yet to see how it would be implemented on a large scale. Given that India has a population of 1.3 billion, it would be unfeasible to roll out UBI nationally, but a state-by-state strategy might be more viable.

It's thought that UBI would offer less capacity for corruption than most anti-poverty schemes because all individuals are entitled to the same amount of money. This would make it more difficult for malicious parties to siphon off funds for themselves.

Critics of UBI suggest that it will simply cause greater reliance on government subsidies, providing a short-term solution while ignoring the underlying problems of mass unemployment and unfair wealth distribution. It's often said that recipients might misuse the money they receive, but recent trials indicate that the majority spend their UBI on essentials, as intended.

Most would agree that UBI shouldn't replace current welfare systems entirely. However, the question of how to fund both programs alongside one another looms large, particularly given that roughly 22% of Indians live below the poverty line, and experience poor living conditions.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

mikemac

I hope India does try Universal Basic Income.  With their caste system it's a good country to try UBI.  If it works good in India it would be a good example for other countries.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl39KHS07Xc[/yt]
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Kaesekopf

They crap in streets. 

They should try fixing that first. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MilesChristi

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 09, 2018, 12:32:07 PM
They crap in streets. 

They should try fixing that first. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Pay them to pick up crap and dump it in marked containers
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

JackoPaul

maybe they could introduce a crap as you go scheme.
People attend a government run toilet. Once they make a successful deposit it is exchanged for rupees.

MilesChristi

Then again, the Brits paid the Indians to kill rats once and so enterprising poos started breeding rats, I can just imagine indians taking laxatives so they can have more poo to trade for money. Perhaps the pundits should judge each deposit and pay based upon quality.

Greg

You can't fix stupid and this won't fix India
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

JackoPaul

Quote from: MilesChristi on July 09, 2018, 03:37:53 PM
Then again, the Brits paid the Indians to kill rats once and so enterprising poos started breeding rats, I can just imagine indians taking laxatives so they can have more poo to trade for money. Perhaps the pundits should judge each deposit and pay based upon quality.

I'm not sure laxatives would be required considering their diet. As for judging the quality of deposits that reminds me of Boris Johnson's recent comment about the prime ministers latest Brexit plan stating that "you cant polish a terd"

Us Brits have history of paying people to kill vermin. Until quite recently the government paid people for the tails of grey squirrels imported from the US which have devastated the indigenous red squirrel. I think that programme is still going on in one form or another. The American crayfish has also devastated many of the UK rivers. I have been told N. America has the same problem with the Starling introduced by a fan of William Shakespeare?

james03

Yep.  Starlings are everywhere.

On the American Crawfish, once you backwards Brits figure out how to boil and eat them, you won't be trying to wipe them out.  Better than shrimp.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Greg

Devastated British Rivers is a bit of an exaggeration.

With the movement of people these movements or animal are inevitable.

Bye bye red squirrel.  Who cares?  And why?

We introduced the horse to America.  Now it is part of your cowboy heritage.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

JackoPaul

Quote from: Greg on July 09, 2018, 06:39:34 PM
Devastated British Rivers is a bit of an exaggeration.

With the movement of people these movements or animal are inevitable.

Bye bye red squirrel.  Who cares?  And why?

We introduced the horse to America.  Now it is part of your cowboy heritage.

You are wrong devastating is not an exaggeration by any means

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/3343686/American-Signal-Crayfish-wrecks-UK-waters.html

this article was from 2008 and the situation is now much, much worse. I recently watched a documentary and a government scientist stated that there was 100,000 of these things in just 100 meters of a small river. They had devastated the river because they are ferocious breeders and they carry a fungal disease to which they are immune, but it kill other water life. They eat everything including smaller British crayfish, fish, fish eggs, insects and plants. They also burrow into river banks and its making walking on them unsafe.

I know you like to play devil's advocate but as for the red squirrel are you serious, why would you want to see the end of this beautiful indigenous little animal? There's a very popular red squirrel reserve not far from me and bus loads of school children come and see and feed the squirrels in the wild every day. I visited it myself over forty years ago. May be you should take your children to one I am sure they would enjoy it. You wont find any red squirrels left in the South East of the country, but may be that makes you happy. I bet you would be the first to call the council to moan if some nasty, viscous grey squirrel destroyed your favourite tree or moved into your loft and started chewing through your electrical wiring. What other iconoic British species would you be glad to see the end of? Or maybe just get rid of them all who needs wildlife? We live in a delicately balanced eco system and destruction or introduction of foreign species can be devastating. I am sure you know about the devastating problems the introduction of rabbits and cane toads into Australia. Again devastating is certainly no exaggeration in fact its an under exaggeration.

The Europeans may have taken horses to the USA, but they were to be worked they never intended to release them into the wild. The size of the beast meant that if they did start to flourish then they could be easily controlled. Look at what happened to the massive population of Bison which were nearly wiped out in the US. Somehow I cant see the American Grey Squirrel, Crayfish, Mink or Bull frog becoming part of British heritage not unless they can deliver a successful Brexit deal.

JackoPaul

Signal Crayfish has become a plague in Britain
80% of rivers infected

Greg

99 percent of species that have ever lived on earth have died out.

If God cares about extinction he has a funny way of demonstrating it.

One day the grey squirrel will be wiped out by the Blue squirrel and I won't care then either.

There's no way to stop invading species. They can be smuggled, come in ballast water etc.  With the nunber of Chongs flying around the world smuggling wildlife its a matter of time before they bring over a deadly flu.

Could even be me returning from Hong Kong or Vietnam next week

MilesChristi

Quote from: JackoPaul on July 09, 2018, 05:20:14 PM
Quote from: MilesChristi on July 09, 2018, 03:37:53 PM

I'm not sure laxatives would be required considering their diet. As for judging the quality of deposits that reminds me of Boris Johnson's recent comment about the prime ministers latest Brexit plan stating that "you cant polish a terd"

Us Brits have history of paying people to kill vermin. Until quite recently the government paid people for the tails of grey squirrels imported from the US which have devastated the indigenous red squirrel. I think that programme is still going on in one form or another. The American crayfish has also devastated many of the UK rivers. I have been told N. America has the same problem with the Starling introduced by a fan of William Shakespeare?

A woman released every bird mentioned in Shakespeare's plays in Central Park, not all of them ended up surviving.

Akavit

Is it supposed to replace the food welfare system or something?  Last article I read indicated India can't manage the database for that system.  If that's true, I wonder how they intend to implement universal basic income. 

India's Starving Citizens

The main reason I don't think such a system can work in the long run is because people in general are lazy and greedy.  Most people will not be satisfied with their portion of income because it'll never buy everything they want.  They'll agitate for more and unscrupulous politicians will take it from working people and hand it to those without jobs.  Naturally, most people will prefer to receive income for not working rather than work for income.  Producing people will eventually get fed up and relocate or simply stop producing.  If I were living in such an economy, I'd probably put all my time into personal projects for myself, friends and family that cannot be taxed rather than contribute to the universal money pool.

It takes a powerful motivation (like deprivation avoidance) to get people producing.