Are you ready?

Started by Gardener, May 31, 2018, 10:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2018, 07:20:21 AM
Quote from: Miriam_M on June 08, 2018, 06:03:23 PMAu contraire, I think perpetually "stocking up" shows a lack of trust, but that's just my view -- one that no one else may share.

Indeed there is only so much one can plan for.  My money would be better spent in many other charitable and/or prudent ways than continually throwing out supplies and replenishing them, "just in case."

But, to be fair, everyone who regularly goes grocery shopping is "perpetually stocking up"—it's just that their timeline is shorter.  An emergency preparedness stock means you're not only shopping for the meals you'll be having in the next week, but also for a week or two of meals if a disaster hits and the grocery store shelves are emptied.

As per the OP, there wouldn't be a "continual throwing out of supplies and replenishing them," because you'd be eating this food and drinking this water, and then replenishing as you go.  There's no waste of money.  It does, admittedly, take a little more time in terms of calculating your menu, and a little more discipline, since you would have to eat non-perishable meals more often than you might care to.  That's really the only good argument I've heard for the avoidance of short-term prepping: people who say, "I'd rather spend my time doing other stuff, and I prefer a greater diversity & freshness of food, or dining out."

Anyway, I'm only talking about short-term prepping or "emergency preparedness" (1-2 weeks of supplies in case of a natural disaster).  Anyone in an urban or suburban environment should probably not prep any further in expectation of a total collapse, unless they relish the prospect of trying to survive amidst panicked rampages, looting and rioting, gun battles, and warlords.  I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking, "just let a stray bullet take me out early because I'm not interested" in that kind of situation.  Whereas an extrovert like Greg welcomes such a test of his mettle.  I, on the other hand, am rural long-term prepping because I am more of an introvert, and I want to survive so I can witness the aftermath of haunting quiet and desolation, and so I can watch the world burn, while it does, from afar.

This post gave me an idea: a post catastrophe restaurant: "Al fresco, al desko, or in the silo, Rat Burger is your smelly ass alternative for your post apocalyptic 1000 calorie day."
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mono no aware

I haven't read A Canticle for Leibovitz, although it's been recommended many times on Catholic forums, so perhaps I'll add a copy to my library (in which there are plenty of unread books in case of disaster).  From the other thread:

Quote from: Gardener on March 20, 2014, 04:31:17 AMAugason Farms has a 30-day supply bucket, which can be purchased from Sam's Club online.

Each bucket is a 6-gallon bucket, and as it comes weighs approximately 25 pounds. It contains 1,857 calories per day, for 30 days. This is slightly below the USDA's recommendation of 2k calories per day, but it is the most comprehensive product of its type that I have found.

Each bucket contains a water bottle capable of filtering 100 gallons of water and a firestarter disk in addition to the food.

In my opinion, augmenting the food with a supply of rice and beans is preferred, and any other additions would be welcome (rabbit, squirrel, dog, cat, bird, etc.).

I don't have any MRE buckets, but I do have several months' worth of beans, rice, and oats, which I have no problem turning over.  I eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast by preference, and beans & rice is one of my favorite dishes.  I make a spicy version (I have many cans of tomato sauce and chipotles in adobo stockpiled) and I enjoy it often, with a slice of cornbread and a beer, though I expect those accompaniments will have to be kissed bye-bye in survival mode.  I will eat animals in survival mode, and would even eat at Heinrich's restaurant.  I expect I'll fish, although there seems to be a minor controversy over fish from the river I'm on due to runoff waste from hog farms.  I will not, however, eat my cat.  Or any cat, I don't think.  If it's between me and a cat, the cat can dine from my corpse as far as I'm concerned.

Heinrich

Real men love cats, Pon. What is her name("cat" is a feminine noun in German. Not assuming the beast's sex)?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mono no aware

Yes, it is the independence and "F.U." attitude of cats which endear them to me.  Dogs are by comparison slavish and needy, traits that irk me.  My cat is named Iris, after the author Murdoch.

Quote from: Mark Twain"I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction."

Heinrich

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2018, 12:12:06 PM
Yes, it is the independence and "F.U." attitude of cats which endear them to me.  Dogs are by comparison slavish and needy, traits that irk me.  My cat is named Iris, after the author Murdoch.

Quote from: Mark Twain"I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction."

Well hold on there, one can be a dog man too.

Mono no aware

Nothing against dogs.  Dogs have a definite utilitarian value.  My parents had a dog when I was born, a German Shepherd, and one of my earliest memories is waking from a nap in the crook of the dog's belly.  I would probably have a dog again if I had the budget.  But in terms of aesthetics and personality, it's always cats.

Greg

Quote from: Gardener on June 09, 2018, 09:00:27 AM
Greg once said he had a moderate amount for 8 people, so I dunno what changed:

My confidence in just how amazingly capable I was increased. One reason I just took on the job I did is because it was deemed impossibly difficult.  I love a challenge.  My favourite character in any movie is the main character, the assassin, in the 1973 movie, "The Day of the Jackal".  Were I to become a hired assassin I would like to think I could be as effective as he.

I witnessed my eldest brother filling up his house with rice in 2 litre plastic bottles but unable/unwilling to change the oil in his car or carry out basic repairs on a washing machine and understood that less is more and hunger gives you motivation to learn and win.  Hunger makes life more enjoyable.  Nothing is more soul destroying than ceasing to challenge oneself.  One stagnates.

I love risk.  Just love it.

I figured, if the living are going to envy the dead, then you don't want to be in the middle of a standard distribution curve of living human population.  You either want to be a warlord or close to death through starvation or disease.  That way less suffering and less envying of the dead.

The gospel teaches us to not bury our talents and my talent is to be a criminal mastermind or warlord.  I will enjoy the scramble to the top of the pile even if killed by a more ruthless opponent.

I don't need rice because you have it.  All I need is tribute. 

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

If everybody is thinking the same, then nobody is thinking.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

diaduit

I just keep the parable of the virgins and the lamps in my mind.
I have rice and porridge, enough for a month maybe 6 weeks.  I bought some water filter pouches and we have barrels of water which collect the rain water.
I have a few tubs of peanut butter for fat and protein. Basic and boring but in a situation of an emergency I don't think you would worry about gourmet cooking.
A bit of cash in the attic.
No ammo or guns. We don't have that availability here.
What I would worry about is watching my friends and neighbors go hungry, should I share? Then again the phuckers voted for abortion so nah not a concern anymore

red solo cup

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2018, 11:52:41 AM
I haven't read A Canticle for Leibovitz, although it's been recommended many times on Catholic forums, so perhaps I'll add a copy to my library (in which there are plenty of unread books in case of disaster).  From the other thread:

Quote from: Gardener on March 20, 2014, 04:31:17 AMAugason Farms has a 30-day supply bucket, which can be purchased from Sam's Club online.

Each bucket is a 6-gallon bucket, and as it comes weighs approximately 25 pounds. It contains 1,857 calories per day, for 30 days. This is slightly below the USDA's recommendation of 2k calories per day, but it is the most comprehensive product of its type that I have found.

Each bucket contains a water bottle capable of filtering 100 gallons of water and a firestarter disk in addition to the food.

In my opinion, augmenting the food with a supply of rice and beans is preferred, and any other additions would be welcome (rabbit, squirrel, dog, cat, bird, etc.).

I don't have any MRE buckets, but I do have several months' worth of beans, rice, and oats, which I have no problem turning over.  I eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast by preference, and beans & rice is one of my favorite dishes.  I make a spicy version (I have many cans of tomato sauce and chipotles in adobo stockpiled) and I enjoy it often, with a slice of cornbread and a beer, though I expect those accompaniments will have to be kissed bye-bye in survival mode.  I will eat animals in survival mode, and would even eat at Heinrich's restaurant.  I expect I'll fish, although there seems to be a minor controversy over fish from the river I'm on due to runoff waste from hog farms.  I will not, however, eat my cat.  Or any cat, I don't think.  If it's between me and a cat, the cat can dine from my corpse as far as I'm concerned.
What about dog? Would you eat a dog? Remember the movie King Rat?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Quote from: red solo cup on June 10, 2018, 03:41:50 AM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2018, 11:52:41 AM

What about dog? Would you eat a dog? Remember the movie King Rat?

Read "One Second After" (about an EMP attack). It's horrifying and will inspire one to prep.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Mono no aware

Quote from: red solo cup on June 10, 2018, 03:41:50 AMWhat about dog? Would you eat a dog? Remember the movie King Rat?

I haven't seen the movie King Rat, but I would have no more objection to eating a dog than I would a cow.  My next-door neighbors where I used to live had a dog that they would put out on their deck to yap all the time.  He was annoying.  I would slaughter that dog myself and eat him—although, really, the fault lies with his owners: I would prefer to kill and eat them.  Animals are fairly blameless, which is why I'm a vegetarian, but humans piss me off quite often.  I would eat human meat (were it on the menu) before animal meat.  Szechuan sauce makes anything delicious.  I would consume "Szechuan human" with brown rice, broccoli & garlic, a spring roll, and a glass of Malbec.

Gardener

For PDR, on the hope he finds a friend who can help him rescue his cat:

Slow dance Apopalypse:

Waiting for the Apocatlypse, Greg edition:

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

drummerboy

Quote from: Heinrich on June 09, 2018, 11:59:15 AM
Real men love cats, Pon. What is her name("cat" is a feminine noun in German. Not assuming the beast's sex)?

A tom cat is a savage hunter -killer who also prowls around for sex, and takes a nap whenever he damn well feels like it.  What's not a man to love in that lol!?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Carleendiane

Yes for condiments. Raw Honey, br. sugar, salt. How about coffee. Campfire percolaters... tea, cocoa, dried milk,  dred fruits, protein powders, baking soda,  keep vitamins and good quality iodine. Baking powder. Keep peroxide, bleach, alcohol, antibiotic ointments, colloidal silver, many basic vitamin suppliments, like C, D, vitamin E. Aspirin, save your unused antibiotics,  anti fungal meds like tinactin, anti yeast meds.  AND....Much, much,......VINEGAR!!!!!!! Many, many useful properties to vinegar!!! Look it up! Benadryl....another awesome med to keep on hand for allergic reactions. At least one Epi-pen. Just ideas here. In my opinion, for what that's worth. 
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.