Are Octopi Aliens?

Started by red solo cup, May 20, 2018, 08:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

I once knew a drummer whose nickname was The Octopus. He wasn't an alien, but confused the whole lot of us, for dating a woman with a figure: hippopotamus
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Gardener

Behold, the alien keeping its vow of intergalactic chastity:

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/nrERqnO.mp4[/gifv]

Another, but attempting to leave its first estate:

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/Qeemnwo.mp4[/gifv]

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 20, 2018, 05:00:15 PM
Quote from: Jayne on May 20, 2018, 10:17:13 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on May 20, 2018, 10:09:33 AM
Quote from: Jayne on May 20, 2018, 09:20:36 AM
The plural of octopus is either "octopuses" using English plrual formation rules or "octopodes" retaining the original Greek plural. It is not derived from a second declension Latin noun.
:toth:

Thank you for not shaming me for my pedantry.  I try to stop myself but am unable to resist responding to people saying "octopi".

If you hadn't said it, Jayne, I would have been compelled to!  :D

You both beat me to it.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on June 01, 2018, 08:01:12 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on May 20, 2018, 05:00:15 PM
Quote from: Jayne on May 20, 2018, 10:17:13 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on May 20, 2018, 10:09:33 AM
The plural of octopus is either "octopuses" using English plrual formation rules or "octopodes" retaining the original Greek plural. It is not derived from a second declension Latin noun.
:toth:

Thank you for not shaming me for my pedantry.  I try to stop myself but am unable to resist responding to people saying "octopi".

If you hadn't said it, Jayne, I would have been compelled to!  :D

You both beat me to it.

Personally, seeing the word "octopi" makes me physically uncomfortable. I cringe every time I hear someone say the word.

Gardener

Non Nobis

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Gardener

I mean... it's decorative, but the top crust is necessary for good flavor. I'd be bummed if I got the between-tentacles slice. Then again, it's fruit pie so I wouldn't take any.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

I have a theory that the cuter and younger the animal, the more delicious it is.

Cow? Good
Baby cow? delicious x10

Cute rabbits? Delicious x10

Baby octopus (apparently) Delicious
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

drummerboy

If the plural of data is datae, does that mean the plural of antenna is antennae?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Jayne

Quote from: drummerboy on July 01, 2018, 09:36:43 AM
If the plural of data is datae, does that mean the plural of antenna is antennae?

But "data" is already a plural; the singular is "datum."  The plural of "antenna" is complicated.

QuoteIn the U.S. and Canada, the plural of the noun antenna is antennae when the word denotes the flexible sensory appendages on insects and other animals. But when the word refers to a metallic apparatus for sending or receiving electromagnetic signals, American and Canadian writers usually use antennas. British writers tend to use antennae for both purposes. Australian and New Zealand writers are split on the matter, using both plurals for the metallic devices.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Daniel

red solo cup

Quote from: drummerboy on July 01, 2018, 09:36:43 AM

Computer says no.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

The Curt Jester

Can we start calling college graduates alumnodes?  English being as flexible as it is these days, people will accept just about any new word.   In a few years it will be in the dictionary.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"