1964 Roman Breviary

Started by martin88nyc, April 04, 2018, 07:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

So much talk about breviaries lately and there is hardly an affordable breviary available for laity. The 1964 Roman Breviary published by Benziger Brothers (one volume in English only) would make a perfect option for trads and we would have to opt for Anglican or simplified ones. I wonder why no one has republished it yet. Baronius Press could very easily do that.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kaesekopf

I think it's an issue of copyright?

But, the Lulu Breviary was an attempt to do that, just without Matins, I think. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 04, 2018, 08:49:43 PM
I think it's an issue of copyright?

But, the Lulu Breviary was an attempt to do that, just without Matins, I think.
But that is exactly what I need, Matins. :)
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

obscurus

Quote from: martin88nyc on April 04, 2018, 07:43:47 PM
So much talk about breviaries lately and there is hardly an affordable breviary available for laity. The 1964 Roman Breviary published by Benziger Brothers (one volume in English only) would make a perfect option for trads and we would have to opt for Anglican or simplified ones. I wonder why no one has republished it yet. Baronius Press could very easily do that.

I hear you. I think the copyright is indeed a problem given that the English translations of the Psalms may still be under copyright. I am not entirely sure though.

Problem is also cost, time and quality. This has to be a professional job. I also asked Baronius Press about republishing a Latin/English diurnal and they were not interested at all which I found a bit odd.