Marian apparitions: Is there an explanation for the choice of seers

Started by Kirin, March 31, 2018, 12:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirin

The earliest Marian apparitions see the virgin appearing to individuals of great status such as that of the Pillar to an apostle, or of great relevance (if you accept Juan Diego as being a historical person, the name literally being the Spanish equivalent of John Doe casts doubt on that however).

However once one enters the 18th century onward, with the odd exceptions (Laboure, Sasagawa) the Virgin seems to become preoccupied by children. Not Popes, not kings, not even wealthy individuals who actually have the resources and means to put her words into action; but children typically younger than twelve who've almost always been assumed to be making it up in accounts of both accepted and rejected apparitions.

Is there a particular theological message being sent by this, or more a matter of personal whimsy?

Kaesekopf

I'm not too certain.  I haven't really considered it, but ...  do you have any examples besides Lourdes and Fatima where the Virgin appeared to children?

Perhaps part of it is a mix between "let the little children come unto me", or is a rebuke and response to modern man's fetish for knowledge and "knowing better".
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

nmoerbeek

Quote from: Kirin on March 31, 2018, 12:08:02 PM
The earliest Marian apparitions see the virgin appearing to individuals of great status such as that of the Pillar to an apostle, or of great relevance (if you accept Juan Diego as being a historical person, the name literally being the Spanish equivalent of John Doe casts doubt on that however).

However once one enters the 18th century onward, with the odd exceptions (Laboure, Sasagawa) the Virgin seems to become preoccupied by children. Not Popes, not kings, not even wealthy individuals who actually have the resources and means to put her words into action; but children typically younger than twelve who've almost always been assumed to be making it up in accounts of both accepted and rejected apparitions.

Is there a particular theological message being sent by this, or more a matter of personal whimsy?

I think you are missing on your list of seers

Our Lady of Knock, 1879
Of the 15 witnesses, only 3 were children
http://www.knockshrine.ie/history/witnesses-accounts/

Also, there are instances of other people seeing the Virgin Mary as adults in the context of speaking to a Saint, there is such an episode in the Life of St. John Vianney, of course St. Padre Pio, and St. Gemma Galgani all also saw and conversed with Mary as well. 

There are of course other adults who have claimed to experience apparitions of the Virgin Mary such as Bayside, Nancy Fowler, of Conyers, GA but I only mention them sense you mentioned rejected apparitions.

"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 19, 2018, 02:32:13 PM
I'm not too certain.  I haven't really considered it, but ...  do you have any examples besides Lourdes and Fatima where the Virgin appeared to children?

Perhaps part of it is a mix between "let the little children come unto me", or is a rebuke and response to modern man's fetish for knowledge and "knowing better".

Off the top of my head La Salette.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 19, 2018, 02:32:13 PM

LaSallette. Garabandal. Medjugore.

(Not commenting on the authenticity.)

LausTibiChriste

I can personally confirm Medjugorje is full of more dog shit than the CNN staff.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie