What's your favorite Shakespeare play and why?

Started by Geremia, September 25, 2017, 08:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Gardener

Coriolanus. The lines are great. He despises the idiots of Rome, but he loves Rome.

The older BBC productions of it don't capture it well, imo. The play itself is good to read. Ralph Feinnes' "modernized" version was outstanding. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Here's a comparison of his big speech:
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsYk8oCaHLI[/yt]

I think it's an untapped Shakespearean play, not getting the credit it deserves. The rise and fall of Caius Martius Coriolanus, going to the enemies of Rome and becoming a leader of them only to find that the same thing which got him banished from Rome -- pride -- led to his downfall amongst his former enemies.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

PerEvangelicaDicta

Those with historical plots i.e. Henriad tetrology. 
I'm sentimental about Julius Caesar and Coriolanus for the same reason.

Et tu, Geremia? 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Non Nobis

I once got called by a radio station and asked what was playing on a certain TV station.  If I had known, I would have won $10.  I didn't know, but the funny and sad thing is that I would have been watching it had I known it was on.  It was Julius Caesar.

I think I like Hamlet best (I'm so original).  I definitely have read it (or watched it) more often then any other play, ever since before high school.

I need to read more Shakespeare again.  It's a good thing there is heaven because there sure isn't enough time to savor all the beauty and truth in the world in this life.  In heaven I'll "have it all" and then some, even if in a different way.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Christina_S

The Tempest. I liked the contrast of characters in that one for some reason.
That being said, I haven't read Julius Caesar or anything to do with dead kings of England, so my favorite may change.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Jayne

Taming of the Shrew.  It has a great speech about why women need to appreciate men.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Geremia

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on September 25, 2017, 10:03:25 PMEt tu, Geremia?
I'd consider Hamlet his greatest play. It is full of religious themes (e.g., that of justification, purgatory), and the astronomical theories of Shakespeare's day influenced it.

Measure for Measure is another of my favorites because it addresses the themes of virginity, religious vs. secular (contemplative vs. active lives), political power (esp. the question of "legislating morality"), mercy vs. justice, etc., and Shakespeare does not portray the religious characters as Protestants would (cf. this paper, which cites St. Thomas in connection with this play).

Merchant of Venice does a masterful job at portraying the humanity of Jews and their relationship with Christians.

Henry VIII is also a very good historical account of the king, portraying him as devoutly Catholic (which his was) before his downfall into lust. I'm inclined to think (along with some Shakespeare scholars) that the last act (the "happy ending" baptism of the male heir by Protestants) was a latter addition (and thus not authentically Shakespeare).

kayla_veronica

I enjoy the Henry V adaptation by Kenneth Brannaugh the most. The play I like actually reading, thinking about and discussing is MacBeth. There's just so much there. Same with King Lear. Kurasowa did a fantastic adaptation of King Lear (Ran) as well.

I suppose Shakespeare is meant to be watched, rather than just read, so I don't feel too guilty about preferring the movie adaptations!
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Matto

My favorite play was King Lear. My second favorite was Pericles which many people think only part of was written by Shakespeare and it is generally not considered to be that good. For some reason Marina was my favorite character in all of Shakespeare and that is why I liked the play. But I haven't read any Shakespeare in a long time, since before my conversion, and I don't remember any of his plays that well. I wonder what I would think about them now that I am a traditional Catholic. If I did read Shakespeare again I would probably start with King Lear.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Geremia

Quote from: Matto on September 26, 2017, 09:25:06 AMBut I haven't read any Shakespeare in a long time, since before my conversion, and I don't remember any of his plays that well. I wonder what I would think about them now that I am a traditional Catholic.
Same here. From reading the Douay-Rheims and having more knowledge of Catholicism since converting to tradition a decade ago, I'm picking up on many of the deeper themes in Shakespeare that I completely missed in my reading/watching his plays 15+ years ago. I'm convinced Shakespeare's Catholic education has permeated his plays.
Quote from: Matto on September 26, 2017, 09:25:06 AMIf I did read Shakespeare again I would probably start with King Lear.
King Lear has been termed Shakespeare's "secular gospel" play.

Bernadette

The Merchant of Venice. Some great speeches in there.
My Lord and my God.

Geremia

Geremia

Quote from: Gardener on September 25, 2017, 09:06:09 PMI think it's an untapped Shakespearean play, not getting the credit it deserves. The rise and fall of Caius Martius Coriolanus, going to the enemies of Rome and becoming a leader of them only to find that the same thing which got him banished from Rome -- pride -- led to his downfall amongst his former enemies.
I've seen many Shakeaspeare plays but not that one. I'll have to check it out.

Gardener

Quote from: Geremia on September 26, 2017, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: Gardener on September 25, 2017, 09:06:09 PMI think it's an untapped Shakespearean play, not getting the credit it deserves. The rise and fall of Caius Martius Coriolanus, going to the enemies of Rome and becoming a leader of them only to find that the same thing which got him banished from Rome -- pride -- led to his downfall amongst his former enemies.
I've seen many Shakeaspeare plays but not that one. I'll have to check it out.

Definitely check out Feinnes' version.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe